I’m from the government and I’m here to kill you

…researches advised that customers exercise caution and stay two feet away from the bulbs at all times…

recently…

The New Year means lights out for 75-watt light bulbs. As of January 1st, under federal law, 75-watt incandescent bulbs can no longer be produced or imported. Retailers can still sell existing stock until they run out.

The government is gradually phasing out incandescent bulbs in favor of more energy-efficient, LEDs halogens or compact fluorescent bulbs.

One hundred watt incandescent bulbs were retired last year. Traditional 60 and 40-watt bulbs will be phased out in 2014.

1. Alan outback bacon czar
    Posted January 4, 2013 at 11:27 am |

I have a lifetime supply of good old fashioned light bulbs in my garage.

2. SondraK, Queen of my domain
    Posted January 4, 2013 at 11:38 am |

^I buy them like ammo.

Posted January 4, 2013 at 12:05 pm |

I need a garage.

No wonder when I put the bread on the stove under the cfl (on 24/7) it never got moldy.

Posted January 4, 2013 at 12:22 pm |

It’ll work about as good as prohibition did. Black market light bulbs.

5. Alan outback bacon czar
    Posted January 4, 2013 at 12:29 pm |

#2. I have a lifetime of ammo in my garage also.

6. DougM (Progophobe)
    Posted January 4, 2013 at 12:32 pm |

I’m converting to whale oil.

7. Posted January 4, 2013 at 12:37 pm |

^^ Whale Oil Beef Hooked!!

8. Posted January 4, 2013 at 12:58 pm |

100 watt heat producing globes are still lawful.

Shame about all the extra light they produce.

9. Posted January 4, 2013 at 1:35 pm |

I have twenty years worth sitting upstairs.

10. Posted January 4, 2013 at 1:47 pm |

I could so make a lot of money out of this. I can’t tell you how. I would have to become a felon first, and then if I told ya’ll about it, ya’ll would become felons for not turning me in.

I think it’s called “Misprison of a Felony” in several states, so I’m not going to tell ya’ll about it.

Posted January 4, 2013 at 1:57 pm |

Will there be code words?

12. rickn8or
    Posted January 4, 2013 at 4:44 pm |

Alan, when my summat Liberal d-i-l (love her dearly!) asks about my gun/ammo stash, I reply that I’ve got enough to last the rest of my life or the end of the Øbama administration, whichever comes first.

13. Paul
    Posted January 4, 2013 at 8:03 pm |

Wonder what would happen if pissed off voters got their MERCURY FILLED CFL BULBS and threw them on the steps of the government offices in protest.?

I mean thousands of people did this. Tens of thousands.. hundreds of thousands!

Yes a huge HAZMAT problem but still, isn’t free speech protected?

14. SondraK, Queen of my domain
    Posted January 4, 2013 at 9:02 pm |

^ And puppets! We’ll need puppets :)

Posted January 4, 2013 at 10:36 pm |

Paul for new EPA Administrator!!

16. John A
    Posted January 5, 2013 at 11:51 am |

Does anyone know whether those Germans who contracted-out manufactured bulbs [to their own specs, remarkably similar to patent-free incandescent light bulbs] for sale as heating elements?

And there are still 100W incandescents being made. As industrial lights, with much thicker glass and [white-hot] wire, and costing as much as equivalent CFL…

17. JoeBandMemberâ„¢
    Posted January 5, 2013 at 12:30 pm |

I use puppets and crayons to communicate with my co-workers, who are mostly zombies and Obamunists.

18. JoeBandMemberâ„¢
    Posted January 5, 2013 at 12:35 pm |

What about infra red heat lamps?

My chickens need to keep warm until they all die of mercury poisoning.

And I think we have a lot of politicians who need a Kenworth injection.

We had a gal at work who was treated with a Peterbilt.

Posted January 5, 2013 at 1:52 pm |

I have a box of 100, 100 watt bubs in my laundry room. Next year ima gonna sell them for $100.00 each; three fer $355.95…..cash only…[...or---trade 3 bubs for 1.75 liters Evan Williams Kaintuck Sour Mash, 1783 BurBun...liquid multivitamins...]

20. Posted January 5, 2013 at 10:23 pm |

There is so much about this issue that is a crock. First of all, I don’t believe mercury is the environmental risk it’s being hyped to be. And sure, the lights must produce UV to operate, just like every other fluorescent lamp in history. Again, nothing to see here. Move along…

Of course, the incandescents are not the environmental risk they’re being hyped to be. I use the CFLs because they produce more light and less heat, so they’re cheaper to operate. But I’m switching to LEDs as they’re now become more affordable and brighter. They are more reliable, have longer life, reach full brilliance instantly, and they have a better color spectrum.

Stupid, stupid government, trying to compensate for our stupidity, ‘cept we’re not stupid.

21. Posted January 6, 2013 at 3:44 am |

I’m pretty sure the bulb in my sister’s old Play-N-Bake oven still works.

22. Posted January 6, 2013 at 7:17 am |

^^^^^ There will be code words, and even possibly puppets. I can’t promise the puppets.

Posted January 6, 2013 at 8:14 am |

Knock three times and whisper low.