Prog Canon (morning reading: purity of essence*)

Prohibition was one of Progressivism’s great successes fiascoes.
Offhand, I can think of a few more-modern things to substitute for “liquor” here:
Conservatives
20-oz sodas
Tobacco
Only persons of the opposite sex
Trans-fats
Guns
Fox News watchers
Rush listeners
SUV drivers
Anthropogenic Global Warming deniers
Israelis
Capitalists

But wait … why should I have all the fun?
Perhaps you have some to add.

* Cultural ref
LanceL

I should point out that at least they had the constitutional awareness to pass an amendment. Clearly, that’s too cumbersome for the current lot of Prog-aka-Liberal-aka-Progs.

1. ZZMike
    Posted January 9, 2013 at 2:11 am |

About that original photo: I’m OK with that.

2. kinlaw
    Posted January 9, 2013 at 4:03 am |

Judging by the , uh, people in that photo, make mine a double Bushmill’s, rocks.

3. Freddie Sykes
    Posted January 9, 2013 at 4:31 am |

I started drinking after seeing what happened to the temperance folks who followed Dub Taylor in taking the pledge in The Wild Bunch,

4. Jess
    Posted January 9, 2013 at 5:06 am |

Considering most of the women in the photo were as homely as home made soap, I’d think their men were damned glad they had a few shots before they went home.

5. Thunderbottom
    Posted January 9, 2013 at 7:04 am |

#4, Jess: Reminds me of a T-shirt I once saw in a bar: “Drink till you want me.” (make mine a boilermaker – neat).

Posted January 9, 2013 at 8:30 am |

My Gramma was a member of the Temperance Hall in my home town. I have a gold medallion that was awarded to her for her service. There were a lot of husbands who had a man cave in their basements where they could fill the furness and “fix things”. The Mr.s grandfather spent time in the big house for running booze. He would take the family on Sunday rides. ~~~~~~~~~
    dead animal eaters
    gun owners

7. Posted January 9, 2013 at 10:00 am |

Of absolutely Zero importance… My Second Ex-Wife was raised in Westerville, Ohio, the Center of the Temperance Movement. Visited that delightful little town many times.

Those “Ladies” were serious about their “Prog” beliefs:

Twice, in 1875 and 1879, businessman Henry Corbin opened a saloon in Westerville, and each time the townspeople blew up his establishment with gunpowder.

Temperance? I don’t think that means what they thought it meant.

Them wimmens in the photo look remarkably like Prog women today.

*And, No, Second Ex didn’t either. Borned in Kaintuck so she luckily missed out on that particular shallow gene pool…..

Posted January 9, 2013 at 10:25 am |

Temperance Leagues and ugly women never got far in Kaintuckee…..We called them “Two Mason Jars Women”. Which meant that a Kaintuck guy knew he would die from drinking 2 jars of Popskull, which purty much made sex outa the qwestshun….

9. Posted January 9, 2013 at 11:06 am |

^^Sir, they surely do make some Beauties in Kaintuck. X2 paid her way through college as a Virginia Slims girl. Hypocritical little thing, never smoked a cigarette in her life……but, as I said…. Purty.

10. mojo
    Posted January 9, 2013 at 11:31 am |

That’s how “Happy Hour” came to be, yannow. Husbands got off at 5, but didn’t really feel like going home just yet…

11. Lance
    Posted January 9, 2013 at 5:23 pm |

Like a big idjet, I didn’t look beyond that piccy I sent DougM!
    I kinda ‘stepped in it’, so I’ll fess up & spill da beans.
    Which Porch Minkee not only lives in the libtard mecca of
    Evanston, Ill-annoys, but only a mile from the Francis Willard
    house, museum, library & WCTU Headquarters??
    Yanno, all the wimminz in DougM’s ‘liquor’ pitcher.
    http://www.wctu.org/ (right column, 1/2 way down)

They’re still goin’ strong & have chapters & membership wimminz
    in all states, so if you know some old biddies who look like those
    in the piccy & wanna save mankind from ‘Demon Rum’, sign ‘em up!

In this next linky, go down to the whole section ’bout Cary A. Nation.
    No comment except to say she made Annie Oakley & Calamity Jane
    look like church ladies in comparison!