New “Insult”

comes out of the closet

ESPN play-by-play announcer Brent Musburger commented on Alabama quarterback A J McCarron’s girlfriend, Katherine Webb [23]former Miss Alabama USA.

[Musburger said she is] a “lovely lady” and “beautiful,” and said to his broadcast partner, Kirk Herbstreit, a former quarterback at Ohio State, “You quarterbacks get all the good-looking women.”

Yeah — he’s an old guy making hubba-hubba over a young chickie — albiet a young chickie whose profession it is to walk about on a stage in her skanties…

Musburger, 73, then said, “If you’re a youngster in Alabama, start getting the football out and throw it around the backyard with Pop.”

*sound of bovine hooves and general lowing of disapproval*

“It’s extraordinarily inappropriate to focus on an individual’s looks, …so retrograde that it’s embarrassing … a generational issue,” said Sue Carter, a professor of journalism at Michigan State.

Again: former Miss Alabama USA, age 23

Also

“creepy,” and “heteronormative

O’course that is the NYT, calling hetero behavior heternormative in that pinched whine of disapproval. Ghad fahbid anything might be called “normal.” But it is interesting to note that now-a-daze it’s a put-down to be called a big ol’ hetero.

1. Thunderbottom
    Posted January 12, 2013 at 7:54 am |

So Brent Musberger’s comments are “creepy”? Maybe. But “heteronormative”? So now the NYT has morphed into Mother Jones”, “The Nation”, and “The Advocate” (gay) magazine with circulation numbers to match. That’s what happens when journalism majors with minors in race and gender studies take over a (once) major newspaper.

2. SondraK, Queen of my domain
    Posted January 12, 2013 at 8:03 am |

He should have just pretended to give A J McCarron a blow job.

3. bocopro
    Posted January 12, 2013 at 8:07 am |

Never had much use for Mussberger, but I find nothing offensive or insensitive or suggestive in his admiring a beautiful young woman for being precisely that. His only crime (other than being wordy, self-repetitive, and a bit stuffy at times) lies in his advanced years; that is, any older man who comments on the gifts nature has bestowed on a young woman is automatically a lecherous old fart with a dirty mind and probably on little blue pills.

One time when I first moved here to West Pensacola after retiring, I went in the back gate of the training command to get something from the personnel support people instead of driving all the way down to the Naval Air Station.

The gate guard was a very young female, and when I asked her how to find the PerSupDet, she bent down to make her face on the same level as mine. The morning sun shone on that young face, illuminating a pair of beautiful green eyes in a seductively freckled face.

My immediate response was, “Man, what beautiful green eyes!” A perfectly natural and honest reaction from any well-adjusted adult male in that situation, I should imagine.

I got the directions, thanked her, and drove off to take care of whatever I had come there for that day. About a week later, I got a letter from the Command Master Chief’s office informing me that a formal complaint of unwanted sexual comment or behavior had been sent in on me for my complimenting those green eyes.

No action was contemplated, and no response was requested, but the letter indicated that the complaint would remain on file and could be used as supporting evidence should any further reports on me be received.

JHFC! I’ve often wondered what she’d have done had I said, “Hey, nice tits, Babe. Show me your ass.” Which I’ve been known to say in certain circumstances after a few Cuba Libres or a magnum of Cold Duck.

4. MikeG
    Posted January 12, 2013 at 9:05 am |

Oh, I quite agree. How DARE Mussberger insult that woman by calling her “beautiful” and a “lovely woman,” when clearly she is a freakin’ BABE!

5. Jess
    Posted January 12, 2013 at 9:09 am |

Other than avoiding the real news and lack of political responsibility, progressive media outlets and “deep thinkers” have nothing to do but demonize normal people for being normal.

Dumbasses and educated beyond the point of logic.

6. Posted January 12, 2013 at 9:24 am |

Me thinks Sue Carter is “butch”.

NTTAWWT…

Posted January 12, 2013 at 9:28 am |

WTF is a Mussberger? Does it come with fries?

8. SondraK, Queen of my domain
    Posted January 12, 2013 at 9:41 am |

^ cheese.

Posted January 12, 2013 at 10:31 am |

Sue Carter ( last name a hinderance) a professor of journalism at Michigan State. There ya go!!! I’d like to see a picture of her.
    It was a boring game!! Anyone ever check out the poll dancing cheer leaders lately? Maybe Ms Sue Carter should try out.

Posted January 12, 2013 at 10:34 am |

^^with cheese in a heteronormative bun.

Posted January 12, 2013 at 10:34 am |

But no fries just cheeps.

12. john
    Posted January 12, 2013 at 10:38 am |

On the rare occaisoions that a woman has comlimented me its never offended me. odd that.

13. PeggyU
    Posted January 12, 2013 at 10:44 am |

I find the use of the word “heteronormative” to be creepy.

14. Alan outback bacon czar
    Posted January 12, 2013 at 10:57 am |

Here in Nevada, if you tell a female that she has pretty eyes, or that that hair style looks good, you’re OK until she tells you that she doesn’t want your comment. Then you have to stop.

15. accipiter NW
    Posted January 12, 2013 at 11:25 am |

That young man behind AJ’s mother is acting pretty heteronormative with his staring at Miss Webb. The New York Times needs to tell him that part of their community outreach program of the future is to adopt the Islamic custom of prearranged marriages so that a certain number of boys his age can be forced into gay marriages. End sarcasm

16. Ironic in Denver
    Posted January 12, 2013 at 11:41 am |

Gawd. Look at those abs. I’m not certain, but I think that what I’m experiencing may be envy instead of lust. (Of course, it might be both.) More core strength work for me.

I suppose it would be creepy if I suggested that anyone with the right kind of abs could use a photo of just that part of them as a blog avatar…. [hint-hint.... smack! oops! hetronormativeness once again raises it's ugly head and gets the dissing must deserve.]

Speaking of Heteronormative… One time I told a chip-on-shoulder gay person that I could not help it if I was born straight, and that my sexual orientation ought not to be held against me. I’m not sure the irony of that really went home. Oh well.

leelu 6: I clicked through to your link and took a look. Maybe Carter is just good old fashioned jealous.

17. Ironic in Denver
    Posted January 12, 2013 at 11:49 am |

^ Looks like my italics are out of control. [Fixed it, I think — DM] Time to go back under my rock, but before I go, I’ll point out that while accipiter is likely right about the young man, it is also possible that he’s just admiring her hair and hoping that his will look as nice after he gets that sex change operation his silly-ass public school teachers have implied he should get so that he can have love and approval from the leftist, confused, female dominated culture in which he is being “educated.”

If I were raising children, I’d be tearing my hair out trying to find an educational environment for them populated by real men… and real women too…. instead of the kind that has lead to people like Carter writing (and actually believing) the kind of claptrap they do.

Posted January 12, 2013 at 12:20 pm |

Thank you Peggy U !! I shouldn’t have looked at her picture. That wasn’t proper of me. It also answered my question. I wonder how many journalist have graduated from her classes and went on to a career in journalism?

19. Lance
    Posted January 12, 2013 at 2:41 pm |

Holy Cow, even retired sailor Bocopro, (3) is gettin’ put on report
    by the Command Master Chief of the base! Lucky thing that
    he didn’t get a summary court marshall & some brig time!
    Prolly too many tours of WESTPAC!

20. Posted January 12, 2013 at 2:56 pm |

Is she hiding a dick in there somewhere? Because that would really bum-me-out. It would be like that movie where this guy is about to get real up-close and personal with his girlfriend when, suddenly, this gigantic penis pops-out. I really don’t like those kinds of surprises.

Posted January 12, 2013 at 3:41 pm |

Hog— Were you asking about the journalist Ms. Carter or Katherine?
    Just kidding.

22. Merovign
    Posted January 12, 2013 at 5:40 pm |

The really funny part is that the word “heteronormative” means “an influence that makes the different normal or perceived as normal.”

Typically, they can’t even get their insults right.

23. Chris in NC
    Posted January 12, 2013 at 11:16 pm |

What Mustyburger said wasn’t creepy in and of itself. It was how he went on and on about what babe she was and his mom too. Once, twice ok. After the 8th time, yeah, it was getting strange.

That being said, Miss Alabama is a babe now, but just wait until she gets married. She’ll pile up the fat faster than Obama piles up lies. What’s the old joke? How do you get a southern bride into the bedroom? Grease the doorway and push like hell…

Obviously there are exceptions, but not too many.

24. Stick
    Posted January 13, 2013 at 5:43 am |

Did you hear her response? Gracious as classy Southern women usually are. I’m not offended, I’m flattered. Thankyewverymuch.

25. Posted January 13, 2013 at 12:16 pm |

You must know my fifth ex-wife.

26. DougM (Progophobe)
    Posted January 14, 2013 at 10:34 am |

Why should anyone be offended when a beautiful woman is complemented on her appearance?
    I mean, she’s obviously gone to a lot of effort to look that nice.
    I think at least one “hubba” is called for.
    Of course, a more subtle and appropriate comment would probably be wise, if her SO is there, or if you’re interested in further conversation.
    A gentleman would know what to say.

27. Posted January 14, 2013 at 1:31 pm |

^ I will second the “hubba”.

28. Lance
    Posted January 14, 2013 at 3:03 pm |

Thanx, Merovign (22)! You put a big SEG on my fuzzy face!
    I too, love it when the ultra-snobby, pseudo-elite, self-appointed,
    faux-intelligentia, journalists & commentators
    use or make up a new fancy-dancy multi-syllabled wurds
    or phrases, which are ‘spoz to put us in a state of awe at their
    obviously superior screeds & utterances And then the dictionary
    read by a little ol’ Porch Minkee does ‘em in! Yes there is Justice!

29. exsanguine
    Posted January 14, 2013 at 5:12 pm |

In other news:

Sue Carter lost a 25 round fight with “The Butt-Fugly stick,” video at 10pm.

30. TheOldMan
    Posted January 14, 2013 at 5:44 pm |

From a short distance and a quick glance, Sue Carter could pass for a male. I detect envy in her complaint…