Of Gooses, Ganders and Goslings

ToDaZeD Sauce

White House petition [White House Linky -- *requires* "white house account" -- "Why?" answer: "It's easy!"] via Andy at AOSHQ

Eliminate armed guards for the President, Vice-President, and their families, and establish Gun Free Zones around them

Gun Free Zones are supposed to protect our children, and some politicians wish to strip us of our right to keep and bear arms. Those same politicians and their families are currently under the protection of armed Secret Service agents. If Gun Free Zones are sufficient protection for our children, then Gun Free Zones should be good enough for politicians.

1. SondraK, Queen of my domain
    Posted January 13, 2013 at 12:44 pm |

I can’t wait to see if they respond to this one after responding to the Death Star one………

2. Lord of the Fleas
    Posted January 13, 2013 at 2:07 pm |

I know there’s no election pending, but Obobo never stops campaigning, and that means photo-ops.

So what would happen if Teh Won showed up at some factory or other, media in tow, and the owner informed the SS that they had to check their guns at the door? (Said owner having his own video rolling, of course, ‘cuz the nooz networks won’t report it.)

Could be entertaining.

Posted January 13, 2013 at 2:09 pm |

Tank you veddy, veddy much. Amen.

4. DougM (Progophobe)
    Posted January 13, 2013 at 3:10 pm |

That would make a great sign:
    No armed Federal or State employees permitted on this premises while on duty.
    Free coffee or soft beverage for uniformed local LEOs, military, and armed CCH permit holders.
    People who look like they’re up to no good will be refused service and escorted out.
    Our staff qualify at the range quarterly.

Oh, and
    Children left unattended will be given coffee and a kitten

5. 1MadJack
    Posted January 13, 2013 at 8:06 pm |

I don’t know the rules around here yet so I will try to refrain from using my normal filthy language about the sonsabitches. ;) Anyways I am damn sick and tired of these elitist assholes thinking they deserve so much more and better treatment than the Common Man & Woman. :mad: And besides that if anyone is going to harm the Emperor Obama and his cronies or toadies it will most likely be one of their own progressive/socialist/commie brethren. :o

6. 1MadJack
    Posted January 13, 2013 at 8:08 pm |

Oh and I forgot to mention that young kibosh woman up at the top is gorgeous and nicely armed! :D

7. SondraK, Queen of my domain
    Posted January 13, 2013 at 8:19 pm |

^ I’m trying not to swear so much myself:)
    But as some great woman that I adore and near idolize once said
    ” I do not spew profanities. I enunciate them clearly like a fucking lady”

I hate making rules…I’m sure you’ll figure out stuff that people find offensive around here pretty quickly…and they’re pretty obvious.

Some of us have better self control than others with that stuff :)

8. 1MadJack
    Posted January 13, 2013 at 8:22 pm |

Sondra, glad I found your little corner of the Net! :D

9. Posted January 13, 2013 at 8:45 pm |

I have a Gun Free Zone. Unfortunately, it has a huge penis in it, so it’s your choice.

Penis.

10. SondraK, Queen of my domain
    Posted January 13, 2013 at 8:47 pm |

me too, 1MadJack!
    We’re pretty swell…looks like you’ll fit right in:)

pee ess:
    Hog’s the barometer here.

11. Posted January 13, 2013 at 8:50 pm |

It is a funny word. There’s no getting-around that. Headmissy is currently in stiches and I’m just twisting the knife.

Penis.

12. SondraK, Queen of my domain
    Posted January 13, 2013 at 8:57 pm |

penis NEVER gets old :)

13. Steve Skubinna
    Posted January 13, 2013 at 9:25 pm |

When it does you just find a younger one, huh?

14. SondraK, Queen of my domain
    Posted January 13, 2013 at 10:01 pm |

^ I hear you can breathe new life into an old penis.

15. rickn8or
    Posted January 13, 2013 at 10:06 pm |

1MadJack, the women that post here are ladies to their fingertips.

Even when their language is turning the air blue around them. Some of us old Sailors, Marines, muleskinners, etc. have been known to stop what we’re doing and start madly scribbling notes at times like that…

16. bocopro
    Posted January 14, 2013 at 4:36 am |

17. Jess
    Posted January 14, 2013 at 5:00 am |

In a perfect world, walking into a “gun free zone” would get you a brand new automatic 380 with 100 rounds of ammunition.

18. Lance
    Posted January 14, 2013 at 11:14 am |

Will be innerestin’ to see if 1MadJack comes back after bein’
    subjected to HogW’s & HeadMissy’s ‘New Porch Minkee’ initiation!

19. Posted January 14, 2013 at 11:33 am |

Wouldn’t be the first one we skeered awaay…

20. Posted January 14, 2013 at 11:38 am |

I hear you can breathe new life into an old penis.

Even I have my limits, and I believe we just crossed them by about two notches. I think I will take me a nap now.

21. Lance
    Posted January 14, 2013 at 11:50 am |

Bocopro’s (16) comment linky to Fox’s vid about the power of the
    ‘word’ to provide ‘safety’, i.e. ‘Gun Free zones’ is both humorous &
    illuminating about societal insanity or ‘disconnect’ from reality!
    I’m re-studying the subject of ‘General Semantics’ because of it’s
    ability to identify mental disorders or various types of ‘unsanity’.
    One of the basic premises of General Semantics is, “The word is
    not the thing”. The sign, “Gun Free Zone” is only a sign with 3
    words on it! The interpretation of those words are up to the
    person reading it! The mass murderers derived a different meaning
    from those words than the schools administrators! To me, the
    administrators individual & group ‘beliefs’ in the magical power
    of ‘their’ words & signs, belies serious difficulties in dealing
    with reality that may have created the opposite results!

22. bocopro
    Posted January 14, 2013 at 12:00 pm |

Well, Lance, much as the word No in a “No Smoking” sign would mean something entirely different to a Cambodian guy named No than was intended, the concept of “gun free zone” to Holmes (Dark Knight shooter) meant “numerous unarmed targets.”

It’s the same mindset that attack submarines’ crews have about surface warships.

23. Posted January 14, 2013 at 1:55 pm |

I like submarines. Especially when they blow things up. Basically, anytime when there’s a nucular explosion on the screen, large or small, I get a boner.

24. bocopro
    Posted January 14, 2013 at 2:05 pm |

Goddamit, Hog . . . there can no longer be ANY doubt that you are my old friend FatJack’s long-lost twin.

And I’d love to read your note to V-8 concerning Jackie Chan. Mine was devoid of snark; it was straightforward and mature, a non-threatening statement of my principle of being unable to continue providing profit to a company which employs anti-American spokespersons.

25. Lance
    Posted January 14, 2013 at 2:07 pm |

Thanx, bocopro (22)! IMHO, we seem to be in agreement about
    the definite possibility of different interpretation or meanings
    associated with the same word(s) or sentences, in spite of our
    describing this use of language differently. And from
    my experience, these different responses to those word(s) can
    lead to very different & sometimes oppositional actions & results.
    I think a multi-talented professor named S.I. Hayakawa, wrote
    about these different ways of using language, plus other
    aspects of language & the whole context of human dynamics,
    in his book, “Language in Action” first published in 1945.

26. Lance
    Posted January 14, 2013 at 2:18 pm |

HogW (23), in my experience, submarines don’t ‘blow things up’!
    It’s been the torpedoes that blow things up, usually launched from
    a sub, although destroyers can also launch torpedoes, too!
    There was a story or movie about a sub in WWII that launched
    a torpedo that went ashore over the beach, into the bushes &
    blew up a train. I think it was in the islands north of Japan.

27. bocopro
    Posted January 14, 2013 at 2:39 pm |

As I recall (could be wrong), Hayakawa had a chapter titled “Eschew Obfuscation” in one of his books. The only words in the chapter were the title.

Of course that is the epitome of self-effacing contradiction in pursuit of making a point, ain’t it?

In other words, make an unusually brief, even terse, statement with the power of dedicating an entire chapter to it, which in se admonishes the reader to avoid using words or language which would make readers stop to go look ‘em up, which is precisely what most readers would have to do to get the message inherent IN that title.

Kinda like tellin a kid not to eat somethin ’cause it’ll make him sick, then turn your back, knowing he’s gonna eat it anyway, and let nature take its course. Irony, psychology, trickery, subtlety, effrontery, and mastery of language, all in 5 syllables.

28. Posted January 14, 2013 at 2:49 pm |

Lance: The movie was “Operation Petticoat” w/Cary Grant and Tony Curtis and the torpedo blew-up a truck.

29. Posted January 14, 2013 at 2:59 pm |

I LOVE THIS PLACE!

30. Posted January 14, 2013 at 3:00 pm |

The thing that I liked about Hayakawa was how he could seamlessly glide from being the Dean of a prestigious university (San Francisco State) into the film role of a cruel, but somehow still sensitive Japanese Prison Camp Commander who had this thing about building this one bridge, one time.

Posted January 14, 2013 at 3:12 pm |

# 14 If breathing new life in them doesn’t work you can do like Awnold says and Pump them UP!!

32. Lance
    Posted January 14, 2013 at 3:40 pm |

G-zette (31), Thanx for subtly illustrating the increasing dichotomy
    in the evolved subjects of discussion for this post’s comments.
    Plus the enlightening display of knowledge & esoteric facts of history,
    language, authors, actors, ancient films, etc. Then in the other
    discussion thread there are Important & expansive comments about
    P E N I S E S !! The original post subject was about petitions to the
    WH to disarm POTUS, VICE-POTUS & fambly’s bodyguards & set up
    ‘gun-free’ zones around them! We and I amaze me! We even
    ‘blew up a truck’ with a torpedo & pumped up a penis! WOW!
    The Porch is alive & well, but that is only my obfuscated opinion!

33. Lance
    Posted January 14, 2013 at 3:47 pm |

bocopro (27), about a year ago, I found a 1st edition copy
    of S.I. Hayakawa’s book, “Language in action”. It was in a
    pile of donated books to the library of the local YMCA! As
    a member & also resident, these books were available for
    the taking! I was going to keep it in a zip-lok bag, & buy
    a later edition, which he edited considerably, but now I’ve
    got to dig it out & experience that chapter you mentioned!

34. bocopro
    Posted January 14, 2013 at 3:57 pm |

Well, keep in mind that I read whatever I read many years ago, and it may have been someone other than Hayakawa. Ed Neuman wrote some similar stuff back then . . . one of which was Strictly Speaking (I think is the title).

Remember, I like to THINK my memory is clear, but I’m 72 years old and . , , ,what were we talking about?

35. Posted January 14, 2013 at 6:21 pm |

! We even ‘blew up a truck’ with a torpedo & pumped up a penis! WOW!

Well, if you can’t blow-up a truck, with a torpedo, and then pump-up a fucking penis in a thread, what’s the fucking point?

36. DougM (Progophobe)
    Posted January 14, 2013 at 6:53 pm |

Lance (32) & Hog (35)
    Cultural ref (@ 1m:45s)

37. Lance
    Posted January 14, 2013 at 7:19 pm |

Thanx DougM (36), you’ve brought back some of the great moments
    in my life! “We’ve sunk a truck” has got to be the funniest line in
    a naval moobee evah!