3 can play the banana song

The map indicates the addresses of all Journal News Employees in the New York Tri-State area. Each dot represents an individual Journal News employee — a reporter, editor or staffer. The data does not include freelancers — reporters or photographers — which can be hired without being an employee. Being included in this map does not mean the individual at a specific location is a responsible reporter or editor, just that they are a reporter or editor…

1. DougM (Progophobe)
    Posted January 14, 2013 at 9:09 am |

Responsible reporter or editor”
    Uhm, does not compute.

Update: ;)

2. SondraK, Queen of my domain
    Posted January 14, 2013 at 9:19 am |

It was subtle. I liked it :)

3. Posted January 14, 2013 at 9:44 am |

What’s with all this banana song stuff all of a sudden? Did I ever tell you about the time when I stopped a Harry Belafonte concert dead in its tracks? Yep, stone dead.

It was at the Portland Civic Center, or whatever they call it now. Holds about 3,500 people, and it was packed. Despite his hard-core communist leanings, I’ve always liked Harry. I’ve gotten a lot of mileage out of the Banana Boat Song, all around the world, and the tickets were free ones that I got from a radio station. I didn’t say I liked him enough to actually pay for tickets, did I?

He was doing a call-and-response thing to Hava Naguila during the encore, right after doing the same thing with the Banana Boat Song. In other words: He would sing a short phrase and then point the mic at the audience to sing it back.

As planned, one of the phrases was completely indecipherable, and the whole audience fell into a hush. You could have heard a pin drop. Literally.

That’s when I took it upon myself to shout out, “Day-O”! This stopped the concert. He just gave the band the signal to stop. He would have to stop laughing before he could start singing again anyway. He then said a few things about Portland, and why he loved Portland. Evidently, I was one of the things.

Posted January 14, 2013 at 10:00 am |

Sooooo what Hog; yew two are asshole buddiess now?

5. Posted January 14, 2013 at 10:16 am |

Colonel Jerry, SIR! I did not say that. Even Winston Churchill had to meet with Josef Stalin sometimes. It didn’t mean that he was swapping spit with him, SIR!

6. DougM (Progophobe)
    Posted January 14, 2013 at 10:16 am |

^^^ Hog,
    Reckon gettin’ throwed out’a a free concert ain’t all that big’a loss, eh?

7. Posted January 14, 2013 at 10:31 am |

DougM: I did not get throwed out. He liked me. My date suddenly thought I was the coolest piece of Man-Meat™ on the planet. It was a good night.

8. Lance
    Posted January 14, 2013 at 8:13 pm |

I so like that map! Payback’s a bitch, ‘specially when your bosses
    in their idiotic wisdom set you up for this exposé. What I don’t
    understand or maybe the info isn’t promulgated yet, is why
    Journal-News & the parent company have any advertisers left!
    Also why the majority of their subscribers haven’t cancelled!
    However, I’m forgetting that this is Neu Yoik, after all!

9. Lance
    Posted January 14, 2013 at 8:21 pm |

I apologize to alla youz Porch Minkees for getting off the new
    subject of the comment thread. And I ‘specially apologize to
    you, HogW, for not properly acknowledging your regaling of your
    amazing ad-lib audience contributions to Harry Belafonte’s
    concert, back in the ol’ days!