passing through

Apotheosis has left us and this world.

Been rolling it around in my head all night how to say this and share it with you all and I’m finding it so difficult to find the words. I spoke with his sister for quite awhile yesterday and got to tell her the kind of people that we were and the incredible people that her brother was associated with. This is why it’s so important to me that you all know how much you all are loved and how important you all are in my life…and the lives of others…

all I ever wanted was for him to be surrounded by people who “got him”

That he was gives ME some peace as well.

We are such a very special group of people. Apotheosis was a fine upstanding and good good man who loved his family, his country and stood for his principles without wavering. The world is a better place for his existence and influence. It was an honor for me to give him this platform…and for him to accept it from me.

Doug says it so eloquently….

*******,

I am so sorry to learn of *******’s passing.

No, I never met him in person. Never felt I needed to, although I’m positive I would have enjoyed that.
To me, ******* was Apotheosis — “Apo” to his many friends and admirers at SondraKistan.com — and I count myself as one of them. He and I were the two guys (plus three women) who posted the articles containing our thoughts, ideas, rants, interesting tidbits, fun stories, and commentaries whenever the mood struck. We call it The Porch, for that was what it is.

******* was the gentleman of the group: clear in his thinking, lucid in his writing, “correct” in his philosophy, and entertaining in his presentation. I don’t remember finding fault in anything he ever wrote or commented upon (disagreement, perhaps, but never fault), not even in his spelling or punctuation, certainly not in the character of his on-line persona.

I know it’s not like missing *******, the family member, personally; but Apo will be missed by me and who knows how many others who never met him across the country and in foreign lands.

Please accept my condolences.
His passing leaves a very sad silence.

Doug

Posted January 19, 2013 at 9:27 am |

I will miss him.

2. accipiter NW
    Posted January 19, 2013 at 9:35 am |

Godspeed. Apo had a great gift. My condolences to all.

3. Steve Skubinna
    Posted January 19, 2013 at 9:43 am |

Damn it. Of course, if you find anything we can do you’ll post it. And if you contact his family again please pass along my condolences.

4. JoeBandMember™
    Posted January 19, 2013 at 9:52 am |

Our thoughts and prayers for the ones near and dear to our friend Apo.

I have met very, very few of the folks here. But I feel like all are family.

May God bless and protect us all.

5. Posted January 19, 2013 at 9:57 am |

Damn. I would have loved to meet Apo on person. His eloquence and gentlemanly demeanor will be missed. Heartfelt condolences to all.

6. Melissa In Texas
    Posted January 19, 2013 at 10:06 am |

*sigh*
    Rest in Peace, Apo.
    You are missed.
    God bless his family and loved ones.

Posted January 19, 2013 at 10:10 am |

So long Apo.

Prayers up for his family and friends.

I was looking forward to meeting him IRL at the Porch BBQ whenever that happens. (along with the rest of you)

8. SondraK, Queen of my domain
    Posted January 19, 2013 at 10:19 am |

He was only 40 years old………

9. Posted January 19, 2013 at 10:40 am |

^^^What? Oh no! Way too young…. I have face to faced with only a very few on the Porch, and putting faces to the writing is a good thing.

We should all try harder.

Blessings all around.

10. rickn8or
    Posted January 19, 2013 at 10:54 am |

The World in general and The Porch in particular is a much poorer place due to Apo’s passing.

Condolences to his family of course.

Posted January 19, 2013 at 10:56 am |

There is nothing to prepare us. Yet it’s going to happen to all of us. You think you know. Let me tell you just from my experience You DON’T. There is nothing you can do about it but live and love when you can for as many years that you have and be thankful for the people who “get” you.

12. bocopro
    Posted January 19, 2013 at 11:07 am |

Damn!

A kindred spirit, a mind brother . . . . A clear, patient, mature voice . . . A bright, analytical intellect blessed with insight and the priceless gift of expressing it plainly and unassailably at any level . . . A patriot . . . A writer . . . A good American.

When his type goes, something of what made this nation great is lost. To paraphrase John Donne, “this man’s death diminishes us all . . . . a lot.”

13. Posted January 19, 2013 at 11:36 am |

This is a bit shocking. Quite a bit, actually. I don’t know what to say. I will miss him too.

14. S2
    Posted January 19, 2013 at 12:03 pm |

Godspeed, sir.

15. DougM (Progophobe)
    Posted January 19, 2013 at 12:18 pm |

Apo was one of “us,” so I thought a short note to his sister would help his family understand the part of Apo we knew. My note wasn’t meant for publication, but reckon I’m glad it was.
    (What? Well, to me it’s even sadder, knowing that he never got to enjoy the chocolate shotgun I sent ‘im for Christmas.)
    Rest in peace, Apo.

Posted January 19, 2013 at 12:27 pm |

Be nice to be able to re-read some of his comments.

17. Posted January 19, 2013 at 12:57 pm |

I shall attempt to buy a Beer…… Or Soda, or dinner for each and every “Minkees” that wanders through my portion of this Great land.

General area is off the 101, between Santa Barbara and Los Angeles…. I think we have back channel e-mails in the Porch List.

All should raise a Toast to a Kindred Spirit lost.

Posted January 19, 2013 at 12:58 pm |

Only 40? Oh dear Lord.

Have you ever watched kids On a merry-go-round
    Or listened to the rain lapping on the ground?
    Ever followed a butterfly’s erratic flight
    Or gazed at the sun into the fading night?
    You better slow down
    Don’t dance so fast
    Time is short
    The music won’t last.
    Do you run through each day on the fly?
    When you ask “How are you?”
    Do you hear the reply?
    When the day is done,
    Do you lie in your bed With the next hundred chores
    Running through your head?
    You’d better slow down
    Don’t dance so fast
    Time is short
    The music won’t last.

Ever told your child,
    We’ll do it tomorrow
    And in your haste, not see his sorrow?
    Ever lost touch,
    Let a good friendship die
    ‘Cause you never had time
    To call and say “Hi”?
    You’d better slow down
    Don’t dance so fast
    Time is short
    The music won’t last.

When you run so fast to get somewhere
    You miss half the fun of getting there.
    When you worry and hurry through your day,
    It is like an unopened gift….
    Thrown away…
    Life is not a race.
    Do take it slower
    Hear the music
    Before the song is over.

I always enjoyed his clear, straightforward style of writing here. Threads of humor, wisdom and kindness were woven through his words, making me think he was the kind of man I’d love to sit and chat with or have as a teacher or friend. I wish I could have met him, and I mourn his loss.

Please accept my sympathy for his loss, and God grant you and his family peace.

19. Susan Lee
    Posted January 19, 2013 at 1:33 pm |

…and may Light Perpetual shine upon him…

Susan Lee

20. Caged Insanity
    Posted January 19, 2013 at 1:57 pm |

I keep trying to think of what to say, but words just don’t want to show.
    May he rest in peace.

21. Dave
    Posted January 19, 2013 at 2:00 pm |

Only 40. Wow.

Rest in peace brother, and God bless those you left behind.

22. Paul the Canuck
    Posted January 19, 2013 at 2:27 pm |

Truly saddened at the news. It’s a shock when events such as this happen. Our personal lives outside of “the porch” really hit home. Ive gotten so used to reading commentary by everyone that this place feels like my local pub. I stop by here daily and have for a long time, never post much yet enjoy everyone’s company and differing views on our daily events. However it’s odd how you make a connection to those posting here. I feel close and yet distant to everyone of you, all at the same time.

May God Bless Apo and Bless his family with strength and resolve in dealing with their loss at this time.

Paul C

23. Posted January 19, 2013 at 2:30 pm |

Reading this while I was enjoying a cigar at El Cubano here in League City, the other patrons noticed my sudden silence and quiet tears.

So, the best homage I can provide to Apo is to introduce these fine gents to the porch, and hope that a couple of them will stick.

Diminished. Exactly, this.

Godspeed, Apo.

Jim
    Sunk New Dawn
    Galveston, TX

24. Ivy
    Posted January 19, 2013 at 2:48 pm |

I read his often
    comments of affinity
    lamenting silence

25. Lucius Severus Pertinax
    Posted January 19, 2013 at 4:05 pm |

A true loss to the Porch…

I never met him, but always enjoyed his words

I the end.. words are all we leave behind us.

26. The Ugly American
    Posted January 19, 2013 at 6:15 pm |

Fly softly on angel’s wings, brother.

Thanks for gracing us with your spirit and wit.

Save a seat for me at St. Peter’s Pub next to Breitbart and Jefferson…

27. Posted January 19, 2013 at 6:24 pm |

Oh no… This is just so wrong and so sad. In general I’m not a fan of social media and ever-changing technology, but I am grateful that it has opened up new avenues for friendship and communication. I don’t believe in “virtual” friends – just friends whom I haven’t met in the flesh. Apotheosis will be greatly missed.

Damn.

28. MikeG
    Posted January 19, 2013 at 7:14 pm |

What can I say about the loss of a brother I have never met or even spoken to in person? It is an awkward feeling and I am not sure how to deal with it. God bless Apo, and his family.

Sitting here with a tummy ache I was attributing to possible something I ate earlier. Now I know it is more than likely a disturbance in the force. I hope that doesn’t seem flippant. It’s just such a loss. Have to go. Hard to believe how even in Minnesota in January the pollen can make a guy tear up.

29. Lance
    Posted January 19, 2013 at 7:15 pm |

A bunch of overwhelming sadness & grief, at his family’s loss
    & our loss of a valued Porch Minkee! I’m at a loss for words and
    read all your comments a couple of times. This whole comment
    thread is a comprehensive condolence & tribute to ‘Apo’, & the
    great human being & American he was! Bocopro said so much
    of what I would have liked to say about ‘Apo’. I’m also glad that
    his family communicated with SondraK, so we could respond &
    honor ‘Apo’ for his contribution to each of us on the Porch!

30. tctsunami
    Posted January 19, 2013 at 7:18 pm |

I’m very sad to hear this. Someone with so much to share with us.
    He will be missed. My best to his family and hopefully they will know how much he added to our lives. He will be remembered as a writer with so much to say and with such wisdom.

Rest peacefully our friend, we will all miss you.

31. icemaned13
    Posted January 19, 2013 at 7:34 pm |

May his memory alway be for a blessing.

32. MikeG
    Posted January 19, 2013 at 8:07 pm |

It is truly unfortunate that so many of like mind and spirit face the real possibility of never getting face to face, hand in hand, and hug to hug. With Apo’s passing, this may not be an appropriate time, but it is on my heart and I think Apo might approve.

Perhaps a nationwide Porch meeting might be arranged at a central location. Just throwing it out there. You folks do with the idea what you will. I for one would love to get to know everyone eyeball to eyeball.

33. katzemeow
    Posted January 19, 2013 at 9:16 pm |

This broke my heart as I read it. Apo will be greatly missed around these parts. Godspeed and RIP.

34. Annoying Mike
    Posted January 19, 2013 at 9:16 pm |

As usual, I’m late to the party, so to speak. When did life get so busy that I almost missed noticing a fine man’s passing? I will miss Apo as well, though I never met him personally. He, and many of you, were on the porch a little over 3 years ago and you were there with your beautiful words of support, your prayers and your love. icemaned13 said “may his memory always be a blessing.” It is for me. May God’s peace and blessings come to him and his family.

Hopefully, some of you can hold on long enough for our paths to cross some day. Take care of yourselves. I’ll leave with some inspirational thoughts from Apotheosis himself, some few years ago:

“But I also know that good men and women, clear of mind and noble of spirit, also still inhabit this nation. They are not alone and they are not isolated. They lead quiet and unassuming lives, command little or no attention, go about their business; and then, when an opportunity or need presents itself – say, a grieving mother in an airport – they step forward and shame the noisy, selfish, and perpetually outraged with a simple, quiet gesture.

There are still knights. There are still heroes. There is still hope.

Believe.”

35. Chuck from Tacoma
    Posted January 19, 2013 at 10:42 pm |

This is such sad news. RIP brother. You left us way too soon. My thanks to you sister for sharing. Not knowing when or why a friend leaves is hard on everyone. It still hurts but at least we know why.
    Chuck from Tacoma

36. mojo
    Posted January 19, 2013 at 11:13 pm |

Wolfie. Mozart, that is. 22:00 minutes in.

37. kinlaw
    Posted January 20, 2013 at 5:50 am |

So sad.

Way too young. Blessings to his family and friends.

38. Posted January 20, 2013 at 6:26 am |

He was only 40 years old………

Comment by SondraK, Queen of my domain — January 19, 2013 @ 10:19 am

I can’t believe this. Here I was, celebrating the 47 years I’ve wasted on this planet, and Apo was moving on. I feel like such a perfect shit.

However, given the “Second Coming” of the Mocha Messiah, perhaps Apo is the one who got the better deal here.

Nevertheless, he will indeed be missed. I had no idea he was so young. Such a talent.

Posted January 20, 2013 at 7:08 am |

MikeG,

We did that about 2 years ago, give or take. Headmissy & JR plus about 10-15 Porch Minkees met at the Reagan Library in LA for a day tour. Then we headed South down near the old Marine air station at El Toro, where we toured the Spanish mission at San Juan Capistrano, ate barbecue vittles that night and next day had lunch at the Dana Point Marina and finished up.

Melissa came from Texas——–an brought her legs!!!!!!!

40. LLoyd
    Posted January 20, 2013 at 10:33 pm |

I learned a valuable lesson 3 years ago coming this Feb 10. Life is precious. Very Precious. And though I am saved now for 35 years and have had a 365 yr relationship each and every one of those days, it has been these last 3 years I’ve really appreciated. I was 62 when I went to bed and after 15 minutes found it very hard to breath. Yes a smoker for 44 years. And it finally hit me. Emergency, then 4 days at hospital and I had 3 more episodes after that through May.

EVERY day is a Bonus. And every one I meet I do not take for granted. And if I am so moved to call/email/write someone, I will. I remember Apo. What a letter from his sister. And What a reply from you Doug. You spoke superfine for me and I believe the rest of the porch used at least 1 tissue.

You are all a beautiful bunch. Individualistic and strait on. I love you all for whom you are.
    Amen

41. Posted January 20, 2013 at 11:00 pm |

I’ve been out of town for several days and just read this news.

I’m just so sad. So very sad.

42. PeggyU
    Posted January 20, 2013 at 11:12 pm |

Been out of town for several days. Just got back and read this. I am at a loss. How can someone you never met leave such an impression? If we “got” Apo, it is because he had something worth “getting”.

To Apo: God speed, friend. Someday, may we all meet on the big Porch as heaven’s winged minkees.

To Apo’s family: Thank you for sending the news. We are sorry for your loss, and appreciate your consideration in notifying us. He must have been a very fine person in person. I am dismayed that he was so young. :’- (

43. OC
    Posted January 21, 2013 at 11:32 am |

Fair winds and following seas, brother.

You always bought clarity and sanity.

Godspeed.

OC

44. MitchM
    Posted January 21, 2013 at 6:30 pm |

Prayers for his family. Seems darker now than it did just a few minutes ago.