ToDaZeD Two Things

Nudge

Now your job will give you seminars in how to sleep properly. What will be the outcome — or requirements — when they realize that sleep has an effect on overall health — and Health Care Costs?

[WSJ] The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates 40.6 million American workers, or 30% of the civilian workforce, don’t get enough rest. And the Harvard scientists estimated in 2011 that sleep deprivation costs U.S. companies $63.2 billion in lost productivity per year, mainly because of “presenteeism,” people showing up for work but operating at subpar levels.

Aside: aaaaahahahahahahahahaaaaa “Present-ee-ism” Izzat like voting “Present” 129 times in 143 days?
BTNIN

Managers at a growing number of concerns, among them Procter & Gamble Co., PG +0.02% and Goldman Sachs Group Inc., GS -0.42% are waking up to the problem, investing in programs from sleep-hygiene courses to melatonin-regulating lighting to help employees improve their slumber.

…neither [ Goldman Sachs Group Inc.] nor [D.E. Shaw & Co] would comment directly about why they’re addressing employees’ sleep habits.

Odd, that…

Here’s another thing:

But we have always understood that when times change, so must we; that fidelity to our founding principles requires new responses to new challenges; that preserving our individual freedoms ultimately requires collective action.

1. DougM (Progophobe)
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 8:51 am |

Wellp,
    if having an aversion to kids is a work-place disability for a teacher,
    bein’ sleepy should be a work-place disability for … everybody.
    (Go away, Sarge. I’m sleep-deprived.)

As for “… preserving our individual freedoms ultimately requires collective action.”
    This is disturbing as heck, but only because we know what it really means to Obama. “Freedom” will be defined by the government.
    Normally, Americans would agree with the words (well, we’d probably use words like cooperative, consentual, and concerted rather than collective). You know, military, police, institutions empowered by mutual consent to defend our liberties. But you know damn well that Progs, commies, and Chicago thugs say those words in a very. very. different. mindset.
    Then again, I’m thinkin’ that “collective action” kind’a reminds me of “Boston Tea Party” or “Declaration of Independence” or “mob,” dunnit you? Revolution is a two-edged sword, jackass.

Posted January 23, 2013 at 9:01 am |

In March, 1775, collective action was when the Second Virginia Convention met in St. John’s Church and voted to arm after hearing Patrick Henry’s “Liberty or Death” speech demand they do so. In April, 1775, collective action was when the militia mustered to meet the gun grabbers at Lexington and Concord.

3. Jimmy don\'t play that
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 9:23 am |

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea about 6 months ago, and prescribed a cpap machine. I have not known such great sleep since my yoot. But guess what? I am now denied health insurance coverage because of apnea, even though the machine has totally fixed the problem (this from the same insurance company that has covered me for over a decade). Yeah, an’ Mammy Bammy gonna buy me a fone, pay my mortgage, fill up my gas tank, and fix my health insurance but good. Uh huh. I’m sure the sufferers of “presenteeism” at favored crony capitalist companies will have no problem getting reimbursed for their aromatherapy sessions and mood lighting to address their sleep habits, just like gummint employees who continue to have ridiculously low premiums for coverages that includes acupuncture, chiropractic, riding therapy, massages and “negotiated rates” far below those paid even by those proles who have non-gummint insurance plans. Meanwhile I’ll get a penalty for not buying insurance, even though I can’t.

“The arbitrary rule of a just and enlightened prince is always bad. His virtues are the most dangerous and the surest form of seduction: they lull a people imperceptibly into the habit of loving, respecting, and serving his successor, whoever that successor may be, no matter how wicked or stupid.” –Diderot, 1776

4. Jess
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 10:20 am |

The true reason for lack of sleep is excessive taxes and regulations. It’s a scientific fact, which I just made up because it’s as reasonable as all the other scientific crap they throw at us daily.

Take it and run CNN. It’s better than all that global warming hoakum.

5. DougM (Progophobe)
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 11:16 am |

^ factoid: fact devoid of substance, factiness
    (What? Hey, this makin’ stuff up is fuuuuun.)

6. mojo
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 11:42 am |

“Sleep hygiene”? WTF, over? Now they want to police your dreams?

7. Joe
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 12:32 pm |

“But guess what? I am now denied health insurance coverage because of apnea, “…..

Next it will be your auto insurance.
    Then the state will want your drivers license.
    Then the feds will want your guns.

8. Posted January 23, 2013 at 4:24 pm |

Being unable to sleep is one of the worst tortures I can imagine. I’ve dealt with it for years. I have a big bottle of Ambien, but I rarely take them. They don’t work anyway. Sometimes I take 1/4 of one and maybe get 45 minutes, but even a whole one is only good for a couple of hours. Or nothing at all. Last year I was awake for almost 4 days. It was hell. Even after that I only got an hour or two of sleep.

9. ZZMike
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 7:39 pm |

Obama’s speechifyin’: Somebody must have told him that he’s been overusing the word “I” for too long.

But he still had to say

“We will respond to the threat of climate change, knowing that the failure to do so would betray our children and future generations. Some may still deny the overwhelming judgment of science, but none can avoid the devastating impact of raging fires, and crippling drought, and more powerful storms….”

Maybe the Incas and the Aztecs had it right. Since the Sun is the primary driver of climate, we need to start offering sacrifices to the Sun, Aztec style. Clearly, those who think we should do a lot more, would be the first in line. Maybe we could throw them down a volcano, or lacking that, perform cardioectomies, with the appropriate rituals.

Jimmy don’t play that : I thought one of the big deals with Obamacare was that it excluded pre-existing conditions.

10. Hopefulone
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 3:08 am |

I’ve always been a light sleeper but Jess (#4) is right that having jackals and hyenas running government, with an electorate stoned on cable TV, satellite radio, and Facebook, makes it worse.