prog canon (evening reading: suck it up, peasants)

(What? Oh, right, volunteer fire departments. Not sure if they count as uncoordinated collective action or coordinated collective action, though.)

Justin Credible in comments (8)

1. Hopefulone
    Posted January 27, 2013 at 8:29 pm |

‘Round here the volunteer fire departments have all been forced closed and replaced by very expensive unions. …I mean Government unionized fire fighters with VERY expensive gear and pensions and union contributions. At least they “let us” keep smoke detectors and extinguishers and such of our own.

2. Ironic in Denver
    Posted January 27, 2013 at 9:22 pm |

The fire department vs fire extinguisher analogy is perfect. Hadn’t thought of it, so thanks.

Looks like I’m about done posting for a while, but I wanted to put this one out there. (Not that it’s a big deal in the grand scheme of things.) Not sure where to put it, so I picked this spot. Here goes:

No doubt you’ve all seen Captain Zero’s latest remark: “Up at Camp David, we do skeet shooting all the time…”

(links to story below)

All I can say is that, assuming he actually does this, and he’s as bad at skeets as he is at golf, I’d *much*rather go shot-gunning with Dick Cheney, and that’s before I even consider the relative quality of the company in question.

3. Ironic in Denver
    Posted January 27, 2013 at 9:24 pm |

^ By the way, a jackass with a gun is still a jackass — just a more dangerous one.

(as is a jackass with “executive powers”)

Posted January 27, 2013 at 10:06 pm |

I in D – imagine if he shotguns like he bowls. Actually, come to think of it, maybe that’s how he’s been improving his bowling score – with a shotgun.
    Doug – I see volunteer fire departments as the militia of the firefighting world.
    And WTF is that thing in the top pic? A bad case of Victorian penis envy? Hey Hog – I said ‘penis’.

5. Ironic in Denver
    Posted January 27, 2013 at 11:03 pm |

4 ^

Actually, come to think of it, maybe that’s how he’s been improving his bowling score… LOL! (actually what I did was more of a snort; luckly, I wasn’t drinking anything when I saw that)

Victorian penis envy: Y’know, for people who claimed to despise sex, Victorians sure seemed to think about it a lot. Practice it too, from all I’ve read. Guess that’s what happens when you “ban” something: sex, alcohol, sex, guns….

…A couple of years back I spent a few months in Ireland. Ireland is a country that is not all that big, and is surrounded by water. Their gun laws are repressive, which given that the place is surrounded by water you’d think they could enforce — especially since they don’t have the finely tuned sense of civil liberties we have over here. So: it is virtually impossible for a law-abiding citizen to obtain a firearm of any kind, even the most innocuous sporting kind…

…And yet, every damn morning, whether I turned on the radio, the TV or looked at the front page of a newspaper, there was unrelenting daily news of the number of people who had been shot dead in the prior 24 hours. (much of it crime related) And that’s what we’ve got to look forward to here.

6. accipiter NW
    Posted January 28, 2013 at 12:56 am |

Doug, I see no fire hydrants in the pics so I assume the gov’t will trust us to keep a reservoir handy in case the big fire hits. I hope they can trust us with that- something the size and shape of a swimming pool. Oh, but wait swimming pools are deadly hazardous. Thousands of people drown in them. Why I can hear Bob Costas right now “One thing is for certain, if Rodney King didn’t have a swimming pool, he’d still be alive and watching LA Angels as they try to make 2012 AL Playoffs.”

7. PeggyU
    Posted January 28, 2013 at 10:15 am |

Ironic –

I hope all is ok with you. Don’t be gone too long!

8. Ironic in Denver
    Posted January 28, 2013 at 9:54 pm |

^ Thank you Peggy. I suppose “all is well” is a relative term, since I’m not infected by a fatal disease (other than aging) *and* running naked in equatorial Africa, being chased by armed savages who are intent on doing some things that good taste suggests that I not describe in detail.

The times are grim for me, as they are for many, and I have a heavy heart.

It is in my best interest to focus on just a very few things and see if I can make them work.

This is a wonderful place, and you folks are wonderful people. I have mainly been checking back in the last month or two because of Rummy.

I hope to visit occasionally in the months to come, and I wish you all well.

Posted January 29, 2013 at 8:23 pm |

Ironic – I’m sorry for your troubles, whatever they may be. Best of luck to you buddy, and I look forward to your return with better times and news.