…huh?

ToDaZeD mea culpa

“The derogatory comments I made yesterday were a reflection of thoughts in my head, but they are not how I feel.”

That moronic statement might actually be brilliant. As thoughts seem to be no longer valued in the Public Forum, his feeeelings are all that we may judge him on.

And judge him, they do:

..horrendously bigoted, anti-gay remarks…

The remarks?

“I don’t do the gay guys man. I don’t do that. No, we don’t got no gay people on the team, they gotta get up out of here if they do… Can’t be with that sweet stuff. Nah… can’t be… in the locker room man. Nah.”

…”Yeah, come out 10 years later after that.”

1. SondraK, Queen of my domain
    Posted January 31, 2013 at 9:30 am |

” whoops, I used my inside voice “

Posted January 31, 2013 at 9:48 am |

“Ya took the bait, dude”………

3. Jess
    Posted January 31, 2013 at 11:19 am |

If he had said “Republican”, instead of “gay”, they would be having parades today in his honor.

4. Posted January 31, 2013 at 11:31 am |

Please warn us before posting a link to Huffpo. That place makes me want to hurt somebody.

5. Posted January 31, 2013 at 12:22 pm |

Never talk to the press without preparation.

They get bonus money for getting you to say controversial things in front of them.

They aren’t smart … they are like goats escaping a pen. Bone stupid, but they do that and nothing else all fucking day.

Posted January 31, 2013 at 2:25 pm |

Never talk to the press without preparation. FIFY

7. Lib Rail
    Posted January 31, 2013 at 5:02 pm |

If you don’t accept his apology you are a racist.

8. DougM (Progophobe)
    Posted January 31, 2013 at 5:20 pm |

So friggin’ what!
    Since when is it a crime to have personal biases?
    Equality under the law is a constraint on government, not individuals.

I demand that people respect my right to dislike certain kinds of people. It’s none of their friggin’ business! (see: freedom of association)

You want the laws out of your bedroom?
    Fine, then keep your bedroom out of the laws.

If I must tolerate your orientation, you must tolerate mine.
    Otherwise, you’re a despotic busybody and a jackass.

Personal note: I had a gay brother (possibly two). Got nuthin’ agin’ ‘em as folks. Just don’t feel comfortable around the watch-me-watch-me gays (or the watch-me-watch-me anybodies, for that matter), so I leave ‘em alone, if I can; but I expect ‘em to leave me the frack alone, too.

Don’t confuse tolerance with acceptance or misconstrue personal choice with intolerance or hate. Requiring acceptance is intolerance of the freedoms of conscience and association.
    (What? Yeah, I hate intolerant people.)

9. Dave
    Posted January 31, 2013 at 7:44 pm |

I don’t do the gay guys either. That makes two of us.

On a serious note, there has to be one gay player somewhere in the NFL. The law of averages would dictate it.

10. PatrickP
    Posted January 31, 2013 at 10:10 pm |

He’s an ignorant piece of shit. I both feel that and think it.

11. Claire: rebellious pink pig with car keys - and a *cause*
    Posted January 31, 2013 at 10:53 pm |

Apologies, Hog.

DougM — beautifully said.

12. PatrickP
    Posted February 1, 2013 at 12:00 am |

No, we don’t got no gay people on the team, they gotta get up out of here if they do … Can’t be with that sweet stuff. Nah… can’t be… in the locker room man . Nah.”

That’s not personal bias.

13. PatrickP
    Posted February 1, 2013 at 12:02 am |

Here, let’s do this.

“No, we don’t got no black people on the team, they gotta get up out of here if they do… Can’t be with that black stuff. Nah… can’t be… in the locker room man. Nah.”

“No, we don’t got no Christians on the team, they gotta get up out of here if they do… Can’t be with that Jesus stuff. Nah… can’t be… in the locker room man. Nah.”

14. DougM (Progophobe)
    Posted February 1, 2013 at 9:30 am |

Patrick (various)
    He’s just a loud-mouthed bigot.
    Vile, perhaps, but not criminal.
    Can’t like ever’body. Can’t ever’body be likable, neither.
    And, no, I ain’t sittin’ next to ‘im on the bus, if’n I can help it.
    (What? Yeah, I hate jackasses.)

Look, bigotry isn’t the issue. Everybody has biases. As Patrick points out, though, there are socially unacceptable forms, as well as PC and un-PC forms. Folks have a right to be wrong, but when they shoot their mouths off, everyone else has a right to disagree with ‘em and to condemn their viewpoint and manners, but no one has a right to repress ‘em for holding a “wrong opinion.” That’s a two-edged sword.

Question is: is this jackass just shootin’ his mouth off, or is he going to physically bar a gay player from showerin’ with the boys. Might have a short career or a spell in stir, if he does that (‘course jail time might lead to worse than havin’ a gay player at the next shower head, too). If he merely refuses to shower with or bench next to a gay player, reckon he has a reason to ask for some accommodation from team management. Shyness is a protected work-place disability, right?

Reckon I’d just wear a towel and use soap on a rope.

15. mojo
    Posted February 1, 2013 at 10:19 am |

“Every now and then, the screeching, howling maniac in the back of my head slips out. Pay no attention.”