Prog Canon (today’s reading: the best and brightest)

“Okay, Doug,” you’re thinkin’, “What the sam hill have they done, now?”
Well, allow me to present this little gem from the BATFE.
Then, there’s this little gem from the DHS.

Progressivism is based on the principle fantasy that society should be managed by a governing elite composed of The Best and Brightest™. The history-proven fact that this can never actually happen doesn’t deter them, though. They sincerely believe that “This time, it’ll work.”
We know that it won’t, because it flat-out can’t.

Completely forgot to make my point:
The Peter Principle is fine, as far as it goes, but there’s a larger problem at work, here:

DougM’s Macro™ (may not be original, but I haven’t looked, so I’ll toss this out there for fun)
There are only so many people in a society capable of managing large or complex organizations.
With the inflation of overall management slots due to gov’t expansion, the quality of those in management positions everywhere must, of necessity, begin to degrade at the margins. Since the private sector expects, depends for success on, and rewards competence, the less-competent tend to find more rewarding and reliable places in gov’t.

Corollary #1: As government grows larger, it needs more and more managers to administer the government (the non-productive sector); and those managers must be hired at the expense of private enterprise (the productive sector). If those recruited into gov’t are the able and talented managers, the productive sector suffers. If those recruited into gov’t are the less-able and less-talented managers, the non-productive public sector suffers, thereby increasing the demand for even more gov’t managers to compensate for the incompetents ones which won’t be terminated.

Corollary #2: As gov’t meddling and growth increases, the private sector becomes less and less competent, thereby producing calls for even more government meddling to regulate the degraded private sector. This classic instability will eventually destroy a free-market, private-enterprise-based economy.

Corollary #3: Competent managers will be unable to competently manage incompetent legislation.

Corollary #4: Incompetent gov’t management will drive out the competent. Competent managers will face regulations and policies designed to protect the incompetent, and competent managers will react to the inevitable frustration of an incompetence culture by leaving gov’t service.

Corollary #5: Incompetence will eventually be accepted by society as the norm.

Corollary #6: Requiring competence will eventually be viewed as a pseudo-criminal act.

Corollary #7: As government policy controls more and more of private enterprise, corporate management must (in the interest of opportunity, stifling competition or newcomers, or simple self-defense) buy more and more influence in government policy. However, this general trend towards corruption of both private and public sectors will generally be dismissed as mere incompetence.

1. Jess
    Posted January 31, 2013 at 2:05 pm |

It makes me wonder about the thinking process of any group of people that use a woman that was shot in the head, has limited function and difficulty speaking as a spokesperson.

Personally, I think they’re up to something, but in reality, they might really be dumbasses…although it probably doesn’t make a difference.

Posted January 31, 2013 at 2:19 pm |

The historical record waaay leans toward “The Worst and Dumbest”. Which————-also———-don`t work! I submit the OBoBo Administration as the most recent exhibit! Then there are:
    1. Nork
    2. France
    3. Russia
    4. Egypt
    5. All of South America
    6. Spain
    7. Portugal
    8. Every country ending with *-Stan*
    9. United Kingdom
    10. Finally: The latest *7 States* in the USA!

3. Caged Insanity
    Posted January 31, 2013 at 3:21 pm |

I’ve always believed the opposite of the Napoleon quote.

4. Justin Credible
    Posted January 31, 2013 at 4:06 pm |

DougM,

1st story – I read somewhere that the bottom 10% of college entrants are directed/steered into the Education degree career path. After reading that story, I suspect the bottom 1% are steered towards the BATFE.

2nd item – Perhaps you would consider gathering together some of your fellow firearms instructors, and filming a response video? Office shooter, banging off rounds – until someone shoots the malefactor. 30 second video, tops.

5. logdogsmith
    Posted January 31, 2013 at 4:30 pm |

I heard this on Beck this morning. If you listen to it you’ll hear someone saying “Stop recording” several times.

I just wonder was that someone from the 49ers organization that realized what was happening?

6. DougM (Progophobe)
    Posted January 31, 2013 at 5:02 pm |

Justin (4) re: #1
    (I hate this saw, but I’ll use it as the seed of a joke. Sorry, teachers.)
    Those who can’t “do” teach. Those who can’t “teach,” either … govern.
    (What? Nah, prob’ly not original, but so what. Remember, Missy lets me play in her sandbox, here, just to entertain myself. And possibly to keep me off the streets.)

7. SondraK, Queen of my domain
    Posted January 31, 2013 at 6:12 pm |

Corollary #5: Incompetence will eventually be accepted by society as the norm.

It already is. In fact, it’s celebrated.

8. Buzz
    Posted January 31, 2013 at 6:14 pm |

Sadly, Justin, I remember the El Ed majors were the top 50% of “party all the time” students, despite being a very, very small part of the student population.
    As a college student, I didn’t look forward to the day my kids would have those El Ed majors as teachers. For the most part, we lucked out, but there have been some real losers in middle and high school.

Posted January 31, 2013 at 9:35 pm |

^ Sondra (7) …#5 Incompetence… be accepted …as the norm. It already is….
    Beat me to it , partially.
    I wanted to amend all six corollaries, substituting the past or present tense “is” or “has” for future tense “will”.

10. DougM (Progophobe)
    Posted January 31, 2013 at 9:38 pm |

Missy (7)
    Wellp, okay, so we’re officially at “eventually.”
    That must’a happened just after “before you know it.”
    I must not’a been pain’ attention.

11. Buzz
    Posted January 31, 2013 at 9:53 pm |

Drink your Brawndo, Doug.
    “It’s got electrolytes”

12. N.O'Really
    Posted January 31, 2013 at 10:27 pm |

I’m still trying to get my head around DHS thinking we should bring scissors to a gunfight.