in China

Three times a week, Hu Songwen sits on a small toilet in his home in a rural east China town and fires up his homemade dialysis machine

I’m still rather too stunned to capture which emotion out of all of the ones I feel upon reading this is the strongest.

PeggyU

1. ZZMike
    Posted February 1, 2013 at 9:05 pm |

That is truly amazing.

On the other hand, we may need to go that route here in the US if things keep on the way they’re going.

2. DougM (Progophobe)
    Posted February 1, 2013 at 9:15 pm |

When he finished building it, the answer to the most obvious question was …
    Hu’s on first.

(What? Second? Ah Di Ngoh.)

3. Posted February 1, 2013 at 10:10 pm |

That guy is just begging for a gigantic blood infection.

Does anyone else think it’s interesting that people are reduced to building their own dialysis machines in a communist country?

I thought it was all, “From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.” At least, that’s how the great K. M. supposedly envisioned it.

I guess, if you have the ability to build a dialysis machine, and you have a need, then you can use it. I guess I never quite pictured it that way.

4. Merovign
    Posted February 1, 2013 at 10:50 pm |

My very first reaction was “We can’t balance the budget, it’s too haaaaaaard!”

A poor single man in a communist country made his own fucking dialysis machine. Your argument is invalid.

Get to fucking work (yes, I know our problem is people whose aim is destruction).

Posted February 1, 2013 at 11:45 pm |

Something to keep in mind when the urine hits the fan.

It’s chemistry and technology.

How long before we hear of 3-D printers making kidneys for grey market transplants?

6. rickn8or
    Posted February 2, 2013 at 12:48 am |

And I thought me making homemade wine was an accomplishment.

7. Claire: rebellious pink pig with car keys - and a *cause*
    Posted February 2, 2013 at 6:42 am |

Admiration is first up for me.

*sound of regulators making this a felony under OboboKare*

Posted February 2, 2013 at 8:19 am |

Our leaders are admiring China’s accomplishments compared to ours.

9. ZZMike
    Posted February 2, 2013 at 1:15 pm |

mech: “So often we still think of doctors and the whiz bang technologies as magyck and out of reach of normal people.

It’s chemistry and technology.”

Not that simple. According to the article, a few people died trying to duplicate his machine.

If it were all that simple, you’d be able to buy one at Rite-Aid for a few hundred bucks.

3D printers make physical things. I think the way to go is stem-cell technology. Whip up a batch of kidney-making cells.

Posted February 2, 2013 at 1:36 pm |

True ZZMike, but the quality control in one person’s kitchen sometimes isn’t comparable to another kitchen.

Teh lawyers and manufacturers here make sure things are more expensive than they ought to be.

Organs are physical things and are being printed as we type. The finer points of function and tissue matching are being worked out–even to using the patient’s own cells to ensure a match.

I was amazed at my late discovery of AR lower receiver “blanks” (80% finished kits) and am saving my nickels for a printer myself and can see the revolution well underway.

11. ZZMike
    Posted February 2, 2013 at 3:21 pm |

mech: Amazing!! Sometimes science fiction has to run to keep up with science.

I was gonna say, well that’s just tissue, but the way things go these days, it won’t be more than a few hundred years until we can print up an entire man (or woman, or snow leopard, or sabre-tooth tiger, or …).

12. DougM (Progophobe)
    Posted February 2, 2013 at 6:54 pm |

I assume it uses a spin-on oil filter commonly available at Napa.
    (What? Yeah, or a Pur water filter. Those’re good.)