today’s happy facts

it’s like it’s all about me!

I am a people watcher. Not just random people strolling around town, but people I am acquainted with too. I feel like I can learn something from everyone I meet and have recently been interested in what makes happy, upbeat, positive people tick. Here is what I have come up with:

1. Happy people laugh a lot. At themselves, at their troubles, at daily situations. Approaching the day with humor is the way to go.

2. They always have something to look forward to. A trip, a class, a dinner, or a big project – anticipation of something interesting keeps life vital and fun.

3. Energetic people have a connection to nature. They like to hike, garden, look out of their windows, go to the beach and just walk around outside.

4. People are happier when they have pets or at least like and respect animals.

5. They like and eat good food. Healthy, decadent, special, weird food is all great for happy people.

6. Happy people are confident in their life choices. They take responsibility and are willing to make changes if something is not working. Victim mentality never equals happy camper.

7. They have strong relationships but are non-attached to particular roles for others to fulfill. Meaning, they love deeply, but a happy person’s joy is not dependent on another person making it for them.

8. Happy people keep their minds active and agile by thinking new ideas. They are non-dogmatic in their thinking. New concepts are invigorating, not scary to them.

9. Some sort of physical activity keeps the happy juice flowing. A sedentary lifestyle usually is not going to get you there (literally or figuratively).

10. A happy person always has something interesting to share. They read cool books, listen to a variety of music and go to interesting plays and films.

1. bocopro
    Posted February 25, 2013 at 6:05 pm |

During my post-MI convalescence, my doctor told me to avoid unnecessary stresses that I cannot relieve. I thought I knew what she meant by that, but I asked anyway. Her explanation was that I needed to not let other people’s problems bother me, but that the total absence of stimulating stresses would make me very unhappy, and that kind of stress might be fatal.

I was reminded of something that one of the founders said — probably Adams, or maybe Franklin. The Constitution guarantees the right to pursue happiness. It doesn’t guarantee that you’ll catch it. So you may as well let the pursuit itself be the source of the happiness.

As for the stresses my grandchildren cause when they come here and stay too long, it’s like Twain or somebody said: Some people create happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.

I think I got it now. Don’t sit around on your butt and wait for somebody else to do things for you, get up and go get what you want, and if there’s somebody there that pisses you off, either chase them away or go somewhere else.

2. Caged Insanity
    Posted February 25, 2013 at 6:49 pm |

I watch people too. This is my rebuttal, such as it is. I know I’m probably coming across as a real asshole about it, but this just set me off.

1. I disagree. Some of the people I know who genuinely laugh a lot are also the most depressed and fragile.

2. Not always true

3. Can’t disagree with this, though the cycle is a positive self perpetuation. You get out more, so you appreciate it more and want to get out more, etc.

4. Non-energetic people care about animals just as deeply, and sometimes will take it so far that it endangers not only their own health, but the health of the animals they love. (sad truth: you can’t save them all, much as we wish we could).

5. We all like good food. Bad food can cause illness and other ailments which are uncomfortable.

6. This does not mean people who are unhappy are automatically of the “victim mentality” subset of society.

7. This can apply to any group but liberals.

8. Artists are an example of people who keep their minds active and such, but are generally not happy.

9. This is a myth. At least in my own personal experience. Physical activity does absolutely nothing for my emotional health, even when done daily for extended periods (half a year +)

10. Unhappy people often have the most interesting things to share, in my experience. Because they read or find something that sparks something inside them that they don’t get to feel that often, and they latch onto it like a dog on a bone and genuine excitement makes brief appearance. That excitement lasts longer when they share it with someone who also becomes excited.

3. JoeBandMember™
    Posted February 25, 2013 at 7:23 pm |

The left will be vewy angwy wiff yew.

4. LLoyd
    Posted February 25, 2013 at 7:34 pm |

A big 10-4 to that Sondra. I only hang out with the Happy. And as the old saying goes you are who your hang out with.

Posted February 25, 2013 at 8:05 pm |

Serenity is the watchword. I keep a hawk`s eyes on my own and that of my dearest friends and loved ones. By mastering serenity, I have learned how to keep a cone of interference about myself that is impervious to all but things of import and to dismiss the irresyphillis!

ColonelJ the happy warrior

6. Steve Skubinna
    Posted February 25, 2013 at 8:20 pm |

If you’re really unhappy you can blame Bush.

Also, binders full of women.

7. DougM (ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ)
    Posted February 25, 2013 at 8:50 pm |

Depends on what you mean by “happy,” I reckon.

Posted February 25, 2013 at 9:20 pm |

I’m Tigger and I live with Eore. We’re like Jack Sprat and his wife.

9. Fat Baxter
    Posted February 25, 2013 at 9:35 pm |

The upside of being a pessimist is that, when things go right, you’re pleasantly surprised.

Posted February 25, 2013 at 9:48 pm |

And as the old saying goes you are who your hang out with.

Comment by LLoyd

My version is you become like those you spend the most time with.

So true IRL, but the porch helps fill a part of the prescription quite nicely.

11. PeggyU
    Posted February 25, 2013 at 10:49 pm |

Show me who your friends are, and I’ll tell you who you are – kind of says it all.

Posted February 26, 2013 at 7:02 am |

What evah melts your buttah.

13. DougM (ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ)
    Posted February 26, 2013 at 9:59 am |

Peggy ^^
    What about us loners?
    Solitude makes me happier than dealing with jackasses.
    (What? Yeah, “quiet, keeps to himself, kind of a loner, nobody thought he’d do anything like this.”)

Posted February 26, 2013 at 3:44 pm |

A happy person, does not waste time trying to make people, their age, happy!

15. Posted February 26, 2013 at 3:55 pm |

@Caged (re: #8): I’ve observed that most artists, especially musicians, are often the most productive and successful during periods of unhappiness and discord.