ToDaZeD Proggie Nudge[s]

two-fer sale!

They truly are Irony Impaired.

LGBT Inclusion at Work: The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Managers A resource from DOJ Pride[PDF], the Association of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Employees of the U.S. Department of Justice and Their Allies

Yep. DoJPride.org.

Here’s #1:

Make the Right Assumptions & Avoid Making the Wrong Ones

DO assume that LGBT employees and their allies are listening to what you’re saying (whether in a meeting or around the proverbial water cooler) and will read what you’re writ- ing (whether in a casual email or in a formal document), and make sure the language you use is inclusive and respectful.

DON’T assume all employees are (or a particular employee is) heterosexual.

The employer – the Gobt. — is instructing employees what to think and that they are being thought-watched.

DO let your employees know they’ll be treated with fairness and respect, regardless of their sexual orientation or gender identity, by “coming out” as a straight ally. For example:

Display a symbol in your office (DOJ Pride sticker, copy of this brochure, etc.) indicating that it is a “safe space.”

Committed Christian? back in the closet with you! Those ideas are Incorrect. [I can't wait til some Committed [but mostly peaceful] Moslem runs up against this… Proggie heads will explode! Metaphorically, of course.]

This goes beyond requiring the basic professional behavior required to keep any workplace drama-free and focused on the work/mission at hand. So far beyond.

• Attend LGBT events sponsored by DOJ Pride and/or the Department, and invite (but don’t require) others to join you.

“(but don’t require)” Irony. Impaired.

Know How to Respond If an Employee Comes Out to You

DON’T judge or remain silent. Silence will be interpreted as disapproval.

Paging Mr Orwell. To the white neutral courtesy telephone please.

Here’s yer twofer:

sweeping speech codes just imposed by the Departments of Justice and Education on virtually every college campus in the United States. …The new rules apply to all colleges and universities receiving any sort of federal money, including Pell grants, federally backed student loans, and more.

so that’s pretty much every college.

The new mandate was revealed in a letter from the DOJ and DOE to the University of Montana* that states “sexual harassment should be more broadly defined as ‘any unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature,” including “verbal conduct.”

Here’s the Big Change bit:

The letter contends the conduct in question need not be offensive to an “objectively reasonable person of the same gender in the same situation.”

The Objectively Reasonable Person has been a standard in Law for, like evar. [maybe some of our legal thinkers on the Porch can speak more knowledgeably to this?] Now it is gone — on campuses. How long before it disappears from the workplace, then The Street, then your livingroom and my kitchen?

Want to hit back at that Prof that gave you a C+? Want revenge against that person you wanted to have hit on you but didn’t? Want to take out any rival at all?

Just become the biggest whingey baby you can manage, say you were offeeeended at any-damn-thing at all and You Win!

Stupid jokes, overheard [or misinterpreted] comments, clumsy approaches, a look — all fair game tkx to the DoJ!

Win Teh Future!!!

Posted May 19, 2013 at 8:03 am |

say you were offeeeended at any-damn-thing at all and You Win!
    That’s what our muzzies-in-residence have been doing for decades.
    About 20 years ago, the New York headquartered Fortune 500 company I retired from had regular ‘diversity fairs’ *spit* and celebrations of every minority cause you could think of, and regularly scheduled ‘sensitivity training’ *spit*, where an outside facilitator agitator was brought in to stir up or invent differences so she could ‘raise awareness’ *spit* of how bad we really were. There was even a Dept of Affirmative Action with a Vice president and a Dept of Diversity with a Director. I loved my work, but that crap made me so glad to retire.
    Sounds like the gubment is just catching up to the New York/San Fran trendies.

2. DougM (ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ)
    Posted May 19, 2013 at 9:31 am |

No First Amendment when the FedGov is in charge.
    Heck, they eliminated the Second Amendment in gov’t offices and schools a long time ago.

Posted May 19, 2013 at 9:42 am |

The Feds are in charge of our care because they care.

4. PeggyU
    Posted May 19, 2013 at 11:11 am |

So … if a person you have known for a long time suddenly unloads on you that he/she is gay, you are supposed to respond positively and autonomically? Silence is interpreted as disapproval? How much silence? Does a person even have a courtesy period to process the information?

5. JoeBandMember ≠
    Posted May 19, 2013 at 12:11 pm |

Well, I’ll be getting fired as it moves to GayLympia.

i will not celebrate perversity.

6. toadold
    Posted May 19, 2013 at 2:37 pm |

Well large companies and college campi will become “pink” ghettos filled with the LBGT’s only ’cause the straights will go underground and/or overseas for education and jobs. Already online college courses are starting to “byte”. After awhile with a really bad economy the government financing for education will be cut so low that the college administrators on physical campi will have to fight over which administrative departments and which educational course can be cut to divide up what little money is coming in. Goodbye diversity enforcement department. Goodbye gender studies.

7. mojo
    Posted May 19, 2013 at 3:41 pm |

“If an employee comes out to you”?

Oh, that’d be an interesting conversation:

“Boss, I’m gay.”
    “Yeah? And I need to know this because?”
    “I just thought I ought to mention it.”
    “Why? I don’t care.”
    “Oh. Ok.”
    “So where’s that SR you were gonna have for me yesterday?”

8. CAPT Mike
    Posted May 19, 2013 at 4:20 pm |

Brilliant Claire!
    I noticed these stories seperately elsewhere, but seeing them together starkly demonstrates the hypocrisy. Observations:

- soooo . . . gobt has declared by fiat that there can be no ‘unwanted’ sexual behaviour on college campuses?
    . . . queue the late night comics, plus Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert.
    I’m hoping, big time, that Mooslum students start lodging complaints about being offended by those slutty girls showing their legs, arms & hair. What a joy it would be to attend a hearing concerning just how much cleveage can be displayed before it becomes ‘unwanted’ sexual behaviour . . . hope they have good photos, or better yet models.

- though I’m not devout, looks to me like it’s time to start wearing a cross to signify I’m not one of ‘them,’ and maybe gain a little smug satisfaction if it provokes a dirty look.

Best Regards,

9. Darrell
    Posted May 19, 2013 at 4:47 pm |

The standard used to be “reasonable prudent person.”
    Now extinct, I suppose.

10. Posted May 19, 2013 at 5:50 pm |

I wonder why anyone at work should care what my sexual orientation is. Office romance is already discouraged, so whether it’s boy-on-girl, boy-on-boy, or even the titillating girl-on-girl action, I. don’t. care. Just get those damn cover sheets on the TPS reports, and let me keep my red stapler.

11. Claire: rebellious pink pig with car keys - and a *cause*
    Posted May 19, 2013 at 9:46 pm |

“Boss, I’m gay.”
    “Sounds like a personal problem to me.”

or “TMI! TMI! TMI! ” *runz from room*

12. PatrickP
    Posted May 19, 2013 at 10:30 pm |

Related: In the Reign of the Gay Magical Elves.

13. kevino
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 9:01 am |

RE: “The employer – the Gobt. — is requiring employees to display particular symbols of compliance with Correct Thinking — regardless of their own thoughts, whatever those may be.”

They’ll have to pass out too many stickers. Why don’t they require employees that refuse to comply with a symbol that they have to wear on their upper body in plain sight so that they can be readily identified? A yellow Star of David would be good..

14. ZZMike
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 3:10 pm |

Know How to Respond If an Employee Comes Out to You

Is that anything like “comes on to you”?

dnqdwg (#1) “Vice president and a Dept of Diversity with a Director”

That’s the job Moochelle held at a hospital while Mr O was busy campaigning for the next office. She got 6 figures. After they moved on, the position was no longer required and was eliminated.

CAPT Mike: “looks to me like it’s time to start wearing a cross”

I’m not much for jewelry & such, but I figure that there’s a choice between the cross and the crescent. A no-brainer choice. (Atheists could wear a chain with nothing on it.)

15. Bill
    Posted May 23, 2013 at 4:22 pm |

So let me get this, (ahem) straight: Employee walks up to me, and says, “I’m gay”. Now, since this is a verbal statement about sexuality, does this constitute harassment? Can I be offended immediately since this person made a sexual comment? The possibilities are endless… maybe, since I am (as far as they know) a mooselimb, this is religious harassment… do I get to sue?