Sunday Morning Read

Cleaning off the desk…

I do a lot of *clicky*clicky* and save-to-read, then getting interrupted and wandering off. Then I find it later and have no idea whence it came. So I owe *someone* a .

Consider this idea:

It is an interesting and somewhat macabre parlor game to play at a large gathering of one’s acquaintances: to speculate who in a showdown would go Nazi.

Yes — Godwin’s Law and all… But this article was written in 1941 so it’s a timely, concrete reference, not hype. And I find it applicable today, though we need a different name than Nazis. [which we'll likely have to wait for History to coin.]

The idea/article struck me because I live in an area where there I have the …opportunity to observe strangers, friends – of – friends and acquaintances like this every freakin dayDM. So I already play a less clearly-stated version this game in my mind.

Every time the subject of The World Situation / politics arises in gatherings with casual acquaintances and friends – of – friends, I fall back on, “Oh, yes. The World Situation — desperate as usual… Look! A squirrel!” [sometimes metaphorically -- sometimes literally]

I’d rather appear stupid or ignorant than get into a discussion of politics and political motivations which must needs evolve into The Discussion of inherent philosophical motivations — which becomes much like attempting to discuss string theory with a duck.

In my daily activities, I have the opportunity to observe piles of self-righteous t-shirt slogans proudly worn, hear tons of guilt-tripping “everyone knows people [white people] / Americans are ruining the Plaaaanet” remarks, and encounter scores of that type. Yanno what I mean — you can pick ‘em out of a crowd by their “fair trade” hand-woven purse or vest, their REI shorts [that have never seen an "outdoor space" that wasn't paved or lawned], the dried-up Earth Mother heaving her way thru a crowded market like the Queen Mary with her skinny, cargo-shorted, straw-hatted little metro “mate” dutifully trotting behind schlepping her brightly colored Nicaraguan shopping totes and purse.

It’s kinda like living on a different planet or a foreign country and I occasionally find myself wondering what it would be like to live, physically [other than The Porch], in a place where most of my daily encounters would be with people with whom I share The Basics. [I'm always up for a good discussion of what might be a more effective methodology of achieving commonly-held goals but when no goals are held -- or even conceived of -- in common it's just no damn fun.]

I wonder… Does such a place even exist?

aaaaaaaaaaaanyway: as to the article. I think the game is kinda fun [in a bizarre, dark way] and good practice for the situational awareness muscles.

Just me™?

1. Brad
    Posted June 16, 2013 at 8:11 am |

How about *almost everybody* as an answer.

There are few persons that are libertarian enough to let others alone. .
    Supposed conservatives and even libertarians constantly amaze me with the old- Fix the problem with another law- mentality.

2. Annoyed White Male
    Posted June 16, 2013 at 8:13 am |

Friend Claire, I simply could not live in such an environment. I lived for a while in San Fran and Boulder Creek and through social circles encountered many of those types in close quarters. I always felt like I needed a mental bath afterwards. I would read old issues of Guns & Ammo to restore myself. I now live in rural Pennsylvania. While it is a blue state, that’s only because of Philly and Pittsburgh, the rest is quite red. I live around people of like morality and mind. I could not go back to living as a Conservative in Liberal La-La land. No Way.

I miss Boulder Creek, though. The Santa Cruz Mtns. were the nicest place I’ve ever seen.

3. Posted June 16, 2013 at 8:14 am |

Never go full Nazi!

4. Lord of the Fleas
    Posted June 16, 2013 at 8:45 am |

I read that article the other day (via The Anchores via someone else…) and commented on that original site how one sentence in the article stood out:

“He believes that America is the country of Creative Evolution once it shakes off its middle-class complacency, its bureaucratized industry, its tentacle-like and spreading government, and sets itself innerly free.”

And this was written in 1941!! Could have been last week…..

Posted June 16, 2013 at 8:48 am |

Anywhere in the U.P. of Michigan except the university cities. They are being infiltrated with those you describe. They see we natives as ignorant Yoopers. We know better. They don’t. When and if the fundamental change they believe in happens they will be relying on we ignorant Yoopers to survive.

6. PeggyU
    Posted June 16, 2013 at 9:23 am |

This passage stood out to me:

He has the brains of Neanderthal man, but he has an infallible instinct for power. In private conversation he denounces the Jews as “parasites.” No one has ever asked him what are the creative functions of a highly paid agent, who takes a percentage off the labor of millions of men, and distributes it where and as it may add to his own political power.

It describes too many politicians, both at home and in D.C.

7. Annoyed White Male
    Posted June 16, 2013 at 11:40 am |

And here I thought everybody ELSE posted in the wrong thread….

8. CAPT Mike
    Posted June 16, 2013 at 12:28 pm |

Alaska, outside of the only cities (Anchorage, Fairbanks & Juneau) has lots of libertarians.

9. Merovign
    Posted June 16, 2013 at 2:04 pm |

There are plenty of libertarian-ish people willing to let others alone. You just never hear about them because they let other people alone.

Unfortunately, it’s pretty obvious there are plenty more people who think human nature can be changed If Only Someone Powerful Enough demands it. Like, you know, tribal gods or dictators.

Because, you know, that always happens.

10. mojo
    Posted June 16, 2013 at 2:55 pm |

Most people are boring, programmed, illiterate schlubs. Get used to it.

11. Paul Moore
    Posted June 16, 2013 at 3:24 pm |

I’m a bit south of Geezerette, just below “Da Bridge”. If you get away from the resort towns in Northern Lower Michigan (Traverse City is infested with white, affluent, guilt ridden Mike Moore followers.) folks are self reliant, generally honest, and tolerant. Most of them haven’t really worked out a political philosophy, but live their lives as conservative/ libertarians. If the S.E. “thumb” area were to secede, we would be a red state.

12. SondraK, Queen of my domain
    Posted June 17, 2013 at 7:44 am |

I’m done. All I need or want are KisPians and the rest of them I only deal with when and because I HAVE to ( but I’m working on that too )……………..

13. DougM (ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ)
    Posted June 17, 2013 at 8:55 am |

Just got around to reading the whole thing. Thanks, Claire.

like attempting to discuss string theory with a duck” Stealin’ that.
    (What? Yeah, too much The Big Bang Theory, prob’ly.)

The game reminds me of the anniversary party in Atlas Shrugged, although the game there is “Who Goes Galt?.”
    (What? Yeah, kind’a like the British dinner-party/drawing-room whodunit. Big fan.)

Long-term American liberty is not guaranteed by some genetic individualist/independent/freedom-loving genetic trait, not even considering that Americans tend to be descended from parents who wanted to escape whatever statist hellhole they were born to. Those courageous people provided a cultural base for following generations to look up to. Unfortunately, that effect is diluted by time, and the recent trend of immigration doesn’t seem to be based on rugged independence. As a result, we’re evolving into just another … statist hellhole.

However, picking out the state worshipers from the independents probably isn’t as straightforward as the article suggests. Also, the pragmatics will be hard to separate from the cowards until the crisis comes; and since the crisis may be more of a gradual slope, that might be a distinction without a difference. Then there’s the problem of separating the stupid from the arrogant and the cynical and the self-loathing and the corrupt.

*sigh* I hate parties.

Posted June 17, 2013 at 9:33 am |

Freedom is part of your soul it’s not conservative,independent,or any other label you want to put on it. It’s not something you can spin into what you think everyone should be or think. It’s something you’d give your life for– is there anything liberals would give their lives for?

15. Claire: rebellious pink pig with car keys - and a *cause*
    Posted June 17, 2013 at 10:50 am |

AWM @2 – BC – beautiful place. I also take consolation from the fact that *most* of CA – by land area, over 90% – is red.

Lord of the Fleas @4 — that phrase struck me too. We gotta keep in mind this …trend was being fostered from the early turn of the last century. vis Woodrow Wilson

DM @13 – aaaand that’s how I tell when I’ve manage to craft a good phrase.
    *giggles*
    *blushes*

I dunno… Sure, humans always surprise me, but… there are *some* [too many 'round here] whom you just know would call that 1-800-FINKOUT number for Improper Political Thought on ya if they could just find it on their iFones.

Posted June 17, 2013 at 10:56 am |

When I was younger, and uninjured, I used to take a week in the summer to hike the Sierra Nevada mountains in California.
    Alone. I avoided the trails and just explored interesting areas on my topo maps. Usually never encountered other hikers.

It was amazing how serene my mind would get! Seeing & watching all the animals; catching trout for supper and spending the early nights watching all the stars n things in a clear night sky. I slept like a newborn child….

It was like I owned the entire planet and sky. Without a single mfcs to spoil it for me. IOW, *I* was the *most* brilliant guy within my 360 degree field of vision…………….Comforting also was a Ruger .44 caliber magnum revolver—

17. Posted June 17, 2013 at 2:19 pm |

If I’m not mistaken, Godwin’s idea was simply that a reference to Hitler/Nazis WOULD show up; not that that meant the argument was lost.

Because there are times that is IS an apt comparison.

18. PeggyU
    Posted June 17, 2013 at 5:22 pm |

Is it Nazi-like to want to convert Nazi wannabes?

19. Claire: rebellious pink pig with car keys - and a *cause*
    Posted June 17, 2013 at 7:48 pm |

Colonel Jerry — that, there sounds like Heaven… *sigh*

PeggyU — faith in the ability of humans to see Truth/Reality/Their own self interest is a Good Thing… …to me
    ['sides - you said "convince" not "force" therefore not Proggie-like.]

20. PeggyU
    Posted June 17, 2013 at 11:22 pm |

Well … there is such a thing as conversion at the point of a sword – but I don’t subscribe to that! I’m a live and let live kind of person, as long as I’m not being shat on.

Posted June 19, 2013 at 6:24 am |

Colonel Jerry you said it so much better than me #14. — that’s why I love being at our camp in the woods.

22. Posted June 21, 2013 at 4:01 am |

Hi there just wanted to give you a quick heads up and let you know a few of the images aren’t loading correctly. I’m not sure why but I think its a linking issue. I’ve tried it in two different internet browsers and both show the same outcome.