tonight’s KisP fun facts

…penny flooring is $1.44 a square foot… it’s cheaper to tile your house with money than tile…

1. DougM (ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ)
    Posted September 20, 2013 at 6:37 pm |

… not counting labor.

… and the risk of electrocution.

… and the difficulty of cleaning up spills.

… and explaining to the authorities the weird marks on your kids’ feet and knees.

(What? Toxic fumes when combined with certain household chemicals? Wouldn’t be surprised.)

Still, it looks kind’a nifty, although it might be more fun to fill a kiddie pool with ‘em and go all Scrooge McDuck once in a while.

2. PeggyU
    Posted September 20, 2013 at 7:05 pm |

If inflation kicks in, you can wallpaper with currency as well. It would be an interesting look, paired with the penny flooring.

Posted September 20, 2013 at 7:22 pm |

For a few more cents place a good adhesive and pour an epoxy or polyurethane to seal, level and make it nearly bombproof.

I like it.

Posted September 20, 2013 at 7:24 pm |

Which room gets that floor, Sondra?

5. Mumblix Grumph
    Posted September 20, 2013 at 7:52 pm |

If we had hexagonal pennies, I’d do it. Round coins will leave a space between them that will fill with scuzz and grime.

6. SondraK, Queen of my domain
    Posted September 20, 2013 at 8:36 pm |

^ see mech ( 3 )

mech, I like the one with broken mirror and gallons of urethaney stuff :)

Posted September 20, 2013 at 8:56 pm |

^^And freak your guests when you walk barefoot on it!

My epoxy floor looks deep like a pond and took a while for me and the cats to get used to walking on it without getting our feets wet. And that’s only 1/8 inch of clear.

Buy it from a commercial coatings company and you’ll save money as well as get good direction.

8. accipiterNW
    Posted September 20, 2013 at 9:12 pm |

I thought the cost of a mint penny wouldn’t actually be able to pay for itself. Add in all the gunked up old coins that people leave in the bottom of their coffee cup holders and you got gummint subsidized flooring.

9. JoeBandMember ≠
    Posted September 20, 2013 at 9:20 pm |

I don’t have cents enough to come in outa da rain, let alone lay down a floor like that.

But I bet boat epoxy like Jaco used on his fretless would do a good overlay.

10. Lord of the Fleas
    Posted September 20, 2013 at 9:22 pm |

Now if’n ya do the walls and doors as well, you’ve got yourself a nifty Faraday cage, all ready for that looming EMP end-of-civilization-as-we-know-it thingy.

11. JoeBandMember ≠
    Posted September 20, 2013 at 9:25 pm |

if you laid down a floor like this and had it well grounded, you could store certain items below and then imaging surveillance couldn’t see it.

“Just sayin” (all-purpose disclaimer)

12. PeggyU
    Posted September 20, 2013 at 11:49 pm |

^ It would seem appropriate to have a vault beneath your penny floor.

13. Paul Moore
    Posted September 21, 2013 at 3:52 am |

The maple floor in my 80 year old house looks great with a bit of waxing now and then. On the other hand, copper is also a great heat conductor. If you have a wood furnace in the cellar, the floors will be toasty warm.

14. Fawkes News
    Posted September 21, 2013 at 5:02 am |

I remember visiting a small pub in Germany wallpapered with Weimar-era currency. Scraps of paper claiming to be worth “Eine Million,” “Eine Milliarde” (one billion), and “Eine Billion” (one trillion) Marks.

Coming soon to a Banana Republic near you (I hope not).

15. SondraK, Queen of my domain
    Posted September 21, 2013 at 6:45 am |

mech’s floor makes me cry….mine is only 1/2 barely finished and the other 1/2 retardedly.
    We’ll fix ours someday…:(

( mine’s heated tho :)

16. SondraK, Queen of my domain
    Posted September 21, 2013 at 6:47 am |

JR has a one trillion billion Zimbabwe bill!

17. JoeBandMember ≠
    Posted September 21, 2013 at 10:00 am |

I know of a building where the cafe floor is finished in a colored epoxy that looked like gravy was spilled on the floor and then attempted to be cleaned up.

When I first saw it they got upset with me when I asked who was going to clean up all that stuff spilled on the floor.

So use clear epoxy on the penny floor.

18. DougM (ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ)
    Posted September 21, 2013 at 10:37 am |

Y’know, Missy …
    If you’d received a penny for your thoughts every time you had one, here, you could prob’ly do the whole Asylum.

19. Posted September 21, 2013 at 5:13 pm |

Pre-1982 pennies are copper, and are actually worth more than face value, about twice face value right now. Post ’82 pennies are copper-coated zinc, and zinc doesn’t wear well.

And I have one hundred trillion Zimbabwe dollars on the wall. Cost me three US bucks. Another few years and they oughtta be a parity.

MC

20. ZZMike
    Posted September 21, 2013 at 8:12 pm |

mech Epoxy or acrylic or some such is a great idea. Just make darn sure that’s the way you really want it.

Neatness freaks will of course cut a bunch of pennies in half to go against the walls.

I just remembered that a conductor, in a moving magnetic field, generates electricity (the opposite of what makes your electric meter turn). Send the kids skating across the floor with magnets in their socks (gotta slide, remember), and pick off the electricity from the edges.

PS: Look for ‘penny floor’ on YouTube. It’s worth watching ti the end.

PPS: If you had just a little more patience, you could make pretty pitchurs, using the 2 (or even 3) shades of pennies’.

PPPS: And if there’s a Collapse of Civilization, you’ll still have a ton of pennies to barter with the natives.

21. Desert Cat
    Posted September 21, 2013 at 9:00 pm |

There is a cafe in downtown Tucson (not sure but it might be in Hotel Congress) that is floored in pennies. I think it has a clear epoxy overlay.

22. Melissa In Texas
    Posted September 22, 2013 at 5:40 pm |

I would SO like to have the penny floor!

23. hank
    Posted September 23, 2013 at 6:16 am |

I’d think it would be near impossible to get it right, unless you could just pour the epoxy on top after laying out the pennies. Any attempt to brush or roll the epoxy would mess up the pattern before it set. To make them stick, you’d need a solid, level sub-flooring. Then stick each individual penny in place, then topcoat?

24. Posted September 23, 2013 at 7:00 am |

They should have cleaned the pennies first so they would have a uniform color, or arrange the tarnished ones to form a penny Mona Lisa.

25. accipiterNW
    Posted September 23, 2013 at 7:21 am |

I just ordered my gummint floor, and they now tell me that penny flooring is $2.56 psf. + tax and environmental fees. And that’s if pennies are laid end to end each way and not diagonally like in the picture since one penny is 3/4 of an inch- thus it takes 16 pennies each way or 256 to cover one s.f.
    This is not the gov’t floor I signed on for. Now they want the names and numbers of my neighbors and they will be forced to ‘change’ to this new type of flooring even though they were promised if they liked their old floor, they can keep their old floor. This stinks!