man of the little people helps shovel own walkway, moves into mansion

Family decision

By Bill, Chirlane, Chiara, and Dante / December 11, 2013

One of the most important decisions a family makes is about where to live.

Over the past few weeks, we’ve talked about whether we should move from our house in Park Slope, Brooklyn to Gracie Mansion in Manhattan.

It’s a tough decision. Brooklyn is our home and Park Slope is our neighborhood. And we love these places. In many ways, they’ve come to define who we are.

No matter where we live while Bill is Mayor, this won’t change…

After all, a home is more than just bricks and mortar — it’s the place you are with the people you love…

Here’s What New York City’s First ‘Micro Apartments’ For Singles Will Look Like…

Based on the winning design, the city’s first “micro” building will have 55 rental apartments, all ranging from 250- to 370-square-feet with big windows, ample storage space, and Juliet balconies. The building will also have a public meeting space, café, and common rooftop garden for residents, as well as a laundry room, residential storage space, a bike room, and fitness space…

…The city is expecting a wait list for the apartments, which will likely range from $940 for a studio up to $1700 for a two-person apartment…

Finish your assignment! »

1. DougM (Bison Party)
    Posted January 4, 2014 at 7:48 pm |

Sooo,
    moving into a trailer park sounds like a step up in the world.

2. ZZMike
    Posted January 4, 2014 at 7:48 pm |

I heard about those “affordable luxury apartments” on the radio news. The big one, at 370 sq-ft, is equal to a square 19 ft on a side (19 ft 3″).

“The building will also have a public meeting space, …”

They should do it the way European apartments were earlier last century: One or 2 bathrooms, down the hall.

Comrade de Blasio gave some helpful advice to the residents during the recent “blizzard”: “Stay indoors”. Don’t go out unless you really have to. Don’t try to clear the roads – leave that to the highly trained professionals of the City Sanitation Union.

Here’s an earlier mayor – Fiorello LaGuardia – in the 1943 snowstorm:

LAGUARDIA: We must keep the streets of our city open for the delivery of food supplies, war materials, and readily accessible for our fire department. Therefore, I am appealing to the people of this city to volunteer in assisting us to keep open the sewer basins located at every street intersection and also to keep the crosswalks in as good condition as possible for the pedestrians. And we are also appealing to volunteers, volunteers who will be willing to do a little snow shoveling right in their own block.

More de Blasio: Don’t use salt!!!!! That harms the environment.

3. Abernathy Cranston III
    Posted January 4, 2014 at 8:52 pm |

I lived in a “micro apartment” in Rome and I loved it. Couldn’t raise a family there. That’s for sure.

4. SondraK, Queen of my domain
    Posted January 4, 2014 at 9:02 pm |

^for how long?

5. Lord of the Fleas
    Posted January 4, 2014 at 9:42 pm |

“By Bill, Chirlane, Chiara, and Dante / December 11, 2013″

Chirlane, Chiara, and Dante ??

What’s with these lefty doofi and their freaking names? Are they THAT allergic to normalcy?

Posted January 4, 2014 at 10:01 pm |

I got a better deal – Do a smash and grab on a jewelry store and get a FREE apartment with 250- to 370 80 square-feet with big barred windows, ample some storage space, and no Juliet balconies. The building will also have a public meeting space, café, and common rooftop garden for residents, as well as a laundry room, residential storage space, a bike solitary confinement room, and fitness space.
    And you won’t have to do your own laundry or cook either!

7. Caged Insanity
    Posted January 4, 2014 at 10:03 pm |

Get used to the Micro-apartments. It is what they want everyone to live in.

8. PeggyU
    Posted January 4, 2014 at 10:10 pm |

I’m just a little claustrophobic. I’d need the Juliet balcony to jump off of.

9. Mumblix Grumph
    Posted January 4, 2014 at 10:14 pm |

I’m sorry, but it would take a court order to get me to live in N.Y.

10. Claire: rebellious pink pig with car keys - and a *cause*
    Posted January 4, 2014 at 10:34 pm |

Even the mice are hunchbacked.
    *ba*dump*bump*

Because Agenda 21

Aslo, what does that do to our balance of trade *cough* with the PRC??!? There’s no room to put alla the cheap crap one is expected to buy.

OTOH, great social filter: anyone who can live like that by choice I don’t wanna hang with.
    [Juliet, being a fictional character, does not exist -- like that balcony]

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m getting a little claustrophobic in here.

11. Claire: rebellious pink pig with car keys - and a *cause*
    Posted January 4, 2014 at 10:35 pm |

Oh! I finished my assignment and found a rope-handled shovel!

12. Abernathy Cranston III
    Posted January 4, 2014 at 10:52 pm |

Sondra, I lived in that apartment for six months. It held everything I needed.

13. Abernathy Cranston III
    Posted January 4, 2014 at 10:59 pm |

I’m not sure where people expect new comers to live other than in the exurban hinterlands when they refuse to allow new construction in their neighborhoods. People use the force of government to regulate who can live where (families) and in what type of housing (single family home with a yard) and then they claim that they are preserving the American Dream against foreign influence, i.e. Agenda 21, etc.

Be a real libertarian and let people build what they want on their property based on what the market demand is. Yeah, I didn’t think so.

14. Fawkes News (отказник)
    Posted January 5, 2014 at 6:08 am |

Is that a Juliet Balcony or a Julia Balcony?

15. Jess
    Posted January 5, 2014 at 6:09 am |

They will start out with some decent people, then the subsidized folks will move in; and finally, even the local rats will go around the block to avoid the area.

The entire debacle will require a grant to study what went wrong, three administrators, with staff, to handle the paperwork, an investigation and finally: taxpayers will pay for the demolition, so the investors can recover their money with a building that leases to professionals.

That’s the system and it only looks broke from the outside.

16. staghounds
    Posted January 5, 2014 at 6:43 am |

Making the tough decisions from day one.

17. SondraK, Queen of my domain
    Posted January 5, 2014 at 9:03 am |

I grew up with ” The Projects “.
    They are hell holes of poverty and crime.

18. DougM (Bison Party)
    Posted January 5, 2014 at 9:06 am |

IOW … barracks.

19. SondraK, Queen of my domain
    Posted January 5, 2014 at 9:09 am |

^ WINNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. Posted January 5, 2014 at 10:22 am |

I think the idea is that if you have to live in one of these cubby holes, you won’t object so much to getting up every morning and working 16 hours in the potato fields.

21. SondraK, Queen of my domain
    Posted January 5, 2014 at 10:47 am |

^ ahhhhhhhhhhh…open spaces and clean air…..ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh………..

22. PeggyU
    Posted January 5, 2014 at 12:17 pm |

Abernathy – If there really is a demand for it, from people who can pay for it, fine! OTOH, if someone simply claims there is a demand for these apartments and uses it to score some gummint assistance in building them, then screw that! Hereabouts, we have a ton of “affordable” housing that sits empty – apartments/condos nobody wants to live in. Who pays the property taxes on subsidized housing? Or do they get a tax break? Why would a community want to attract people who could not afford to pay taxes, but who would more likely put a strain on finances by needing additional subsidized services?

23. DougM (Bison Party)
    Posted January 5, 2014 at 12:32 pm |

It also smacks of Soviet-era housing.
    You’ll probably have to keep the same place when you get married and have kids.
    Then, there’s the inevitable requirement for double-occupancy by singles.

Oh, wait, hot-racking. Eight bells, starboard watch on deck!
    (What? Well, yeah, you could buy your own hammock, sure.)

24. mojo
    Posted January 5, 2014 at 12:37 pm |

“Juliet balconies”?

Does it come with a vial of venom, to give the very appearance of death?

25. mojo
    Posted January 5, 2014 at 12:41 pm |

Yes, I’ve read a play. Try not to faint.*

Cultural cross-ref: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JY3u7bB7dZk

26. Posted January 5, 2014 at 3:46 pm |

First thing that comes to mind:

Terry Gilliam’s masterpiece: BRAZIL!

Posted January 5, 2014 at 3:56 pm |

Hey Sven!!!!!!

28. Paladin
    Posted January 5, 2014 at 4:20 pm |

Beminds me of an interview I saw of a Chinese couple. They were living in a small apartment where a government entity said they had to live. It was too small for the couple and their kid.

They were optimistic about the future, though. They had sent in a request for a move and were confident the government entity would see things their way and give them permission.

29. DougM (Bison Party)
    Posted January 5, 2014 at 6:45 pm |

Sven (26)
    Perfect.

~ clip ~

I’d love to see that on a billboard coming into NYC:
    Welcome to New Brazil

Haven’t seen that movie for decades!
    (Dang! It’s not on Netflix!)

30. Abernathy Cranston III
    Posted January 5, 2014 at 7:04 pm |

Are they demolishing single family homes or large apartments to build these and relocating those residents into these small units?

31. Toastrider
    Posted January 6, 2014 at 7:55 pm |

Weirdly reminded of future-fiction and ‘coffin hotels’ (I believe those are actually a reality in Japan).

And they want $940/month for these… shoeboxes? Really?

32. Benji40
    Posted January 8, 2014 at 2:19 pm |

Sounds about the same size as my first college dorm. The prices are what I am paying for my kids to go to school. I couldn’t live there, not enough room for much more than my reloading setup right now.