One of these things is not like the other — Part Dux

Intentions: Not actualities.
Also Road To Hell

Remember this kerfluffle wherein MSLSD panelists and commen-taters mocked the Romney family for adopting a *ghasp* black baby? yeah…

Well, oddly enough, Reality has caught up with the …Head Panelist.
Fancy that.

Firstly, Michelle’s Mirror notes that Melissa Harris-Perry, “has been quoted as saying: “I’ve never thought of myself as biracial. I’m black.”

Here ahe’s pictured with her parents:

No issues there…

But wait! There’s more from Mzzzzz Harris-Perry:

“As black child born into large white Mormon family I feel familiarity w/ Romney family pic & never meant to suggest otherwise,”

…“My American story is both the story of enslaved ancestors, sold on the street corner of Richmond, Virginia, on my father’s side, and of a persecuted religious minority in the American West on my mother’s side,”

Wow. The rare and coveted Double Victim Heritage Package!
[but NOT "White", dammit! Not even if it's Irish!]

Well, apparently her eeevil white bosses at MSLSD turned viciously on her, as such are wont to do, along with her eeeevil white Proggie Reggie audient, and forced her into an apology.
wee.

In that segment, I asked my guests to provide kind of off the cuff ideas for captions of the photos that we were seeing. Among the images we aired was one of the Romney family that showed Governor Mitt Romney’s grandchildren, including his adopted grandson, who’s African-American.

Now given my own family history, I identify with that picture and I intended to say positive and celebratory things about it [in the middle of a "Look Back In Laughter" segment?], but whatever the intent was, the reality is that the segment proceeded in a way that was offensive. [ahh, the passive voice. 'I had no control. The Segment just, yanno, did it."] And showing the photo in that context, that segment, was poor judgment. [on the part of The Segment.]

So without reservation or qualification, I apologize to the Romney family. [on behalf of The Segment]

…My intention was not malicious, …[crying starts] I am deeply sorry that we suggested that interracial families are in any way funny or deserving of ridicule.

uhm-kay…

She cried during this little speech.

It was a well-crafted apology. Or would have been if it had carried any hint of personal responsibility. And I would have a great deal more respect for it if I actually believed that she, in any way, was actually sorry for anything other than getting bad reviews on her petty, mean-spirited racist taunts.

I actually believe her taunts were aimed at the adults: not even an intellectual debauchee like her could take pleasure in taunting a baby who doesn’t even understand her words yet, much less her complex political and cultural referents. But the adults she meant to taunt were not even the adults who made the decision to adopt that particular child. Mitt Romney is the grandfather, yet he’s only a stand-in.

The adults she really meant to taunt are the spectres in her mind; the images of TEAbaggers and “conservatives” she rails against day after day and those raaaacist crackers who stubbornly, steadfastly refuse to accept her Double Victim Heritage Package Race Card as a valid means of transaction.

They’re the ones, symbolized in the external world by the Romney family, who offend her on a daily — nay, hourly basis.

And for that, she cries.

1. SondraK, Queen of my domain
    Posted January 5, 2014 at 11:14 am |

These people are fucking deranged.

Claire…it’s a triple. Yannow, that listhp and all.

Fuck. Her.

2. Caged Insanity
    Posted January 5, 2014 at 11:18 am |

She’s so full of shit her skin would be brown even if both her parents were white. You’d be hard pressed to find faker tears ever shed.

Posted January 5, 2014 at 12:04 pm |

She is ashamed of her white heritage. I think she should do penance and get down with the struggle by moving into one of those proposed New York high rise 270 sq. ft. apartments cubicles high rent cells with a family of crackhead blacks. She pays all the rent, of course.

4. DougM (Bison Party)
    Posted January 5, 2014 at 12:17 pm |

There are four kinds of apologies:
    • I was wrong, I take full personal responsibility, I have made restitution, and I have changed my behavior.
    • It wasn’t me, and I won’t do it again.
    • I’m sorry you’re so easily offended, jackass.
    • I’m sorry I got caught.
    No, five … five kinds of apologies:
    • I’m sorry I made such a dang fool of myself.

5. SondraK, Queen of my domain
    Posted January 5, 2014 at 12:18 pm |

Seriously, it doesn’t get any dooshier than this. It took a bunch of teabaggers to point out everything she should have already figured out a long time ago………

6. SondraK, Queen of my domain
    Posted January 5, 2014 at 12:30 pm |

MHP’s ancestors were racists.

7. mojo
    Posted January 5, 2014 at 12:33 pm |

Never trust a woman that can cry on cue.

8. DougM (Bison Party)
    Posted January 5, 2014 at 1:07 pm |

Meanwhile,
    Arek Barwin

9. Steve Skubinna
    Posted January 5, 2014 at 1:07 pm |

Her apology is bullshit, she’s already shown the sort of person she is. Yeah, the real target was Mitt Romney, who incidentally is out of politics, so why bother? But they can’t let go their hatred, as we see with another former pol, Sarah Palin.

So she probably hated Romney so much that anything was good if it attacked him, and only later came the “Oh shit” moment when it was pointed out to her that she attacked this man through his family, and through his adopted grandchild.

Yeah, real classy. Is she sorry for attacking Romney? Don’t be stupid. She’ll do it again next chance she gets. And maybe next time some other bystander will get in the way and later on she’ll be sorry about that too, but she’ll still be just as clueless as to what a hateful person she is. In the meanwhile, her mother, just like Obama’s grandmother, gets kicked ot the curb, airbrushed out of her personal history, or else used to score cheap political points.

10. Fawkes News (отказник)
    Posted January 5, 2014 at 1:35 pm |

“I’m sorry you all are evil racists and hate me because I’m half black.”

11. drew458
    Posted January 5, 2014 at 2:16 pm |

Geez, the One Drop Rule has been turned on its head. Guess there’s no advantage any more in “passin”.

I wonder if, had Aunt Harriet* and Uncle Ben here been her grandparents, would she still call herself Black? Where is the line these days? You know, just in case I need to get priority on some government form by checking a box they have no way of proving or disproving.

12. Fawkes News (отказник)
    Posted January 5, 2014 at 2:31 pm |

^ I hear if you claim to be a Cherokee, you get to be a Senator in some states.

13. kinlaw
    Posted January 5, 2014 at 2:57 pm |

@ 1: despicable human beings

@ 8: good catch Doug.

14. Buzz
    Posted January 5, 2014 at 3:29 pm |

Why not claim to be “white?”
    Because unless your talking about the never-ending battle to declare your uterus a personal killing field, there isn’t enough victimhood in being a white female.
    In her political circles and those of her followers, it’s all about the poor, pitiful victim.

15. Henri Claude
    Posted January 5, 2014 at 3:42 pm |

I would like to take this opportunity to express my heartfelt thanks to Sondra K the Headmistress, with the irrepressible contributions of Claire and Doug M, for another year of wonderful laughs, delightful insights, and truly spectacular takedowns of deserving liberal d-bags…..

I thank you…

16. S2
    Posted January 5, 2014 at 4:33 pm |

Her dad looks familiar, doesn’t he?

17. Paladin
    Posted January 5, 2014 at 4:39 pm |

Dearest Claire,

Of course her taunts were aimed at the adults. The shameful thing in my mind was how they were using the adopted baby as a foil to make fun of Mitt Romney.

Using a baby to make fun of the color of somebody’s skin.

Just wow.

18. SondraK, Queen of my domain
    Posted January 5, 2014 at 5:12 pm |

^ Because making fun of white ADULTS who open up their hearts and homes to the children that black people throw away is OKIE DOKIE! There’s such a disconnect with these people I’m truly agog. Still.

I find it remarkable how so many of our Lympian citizens use the old ” if Christians are so against abortion why don’t they adopt these children…”

19. S2
    Posted January 5, 2014 at 5:53 pm |

^ When they ask that, I guess you could refer them to the National Association of Black Social Workers. They have a policy regarding transracial adoption.

20. nomen nescio
    Posted January 5, 2014 at 6:13 pm |

Don’t cry for me Salt Lake City.

21. Fawkes News (отказник)
    Posted January 5, 2014 at 6:25 pm |

^ The truth is I ne…ver… liked you…

22. DougM (Bison Party)
    Posted January 5, 2014 at 6:33 pm |

Missy (18)
    The inevitable DAMMIT!!!! ref.

23. Steve Skubinna
    Posted January 5, 2014 at 7:00 pm |

You know MHP did this with malice aforethought. We’re supposed to believe that she showed that picture to her panel of left wing comedians on MSNBC and expected everyone to say “Gee, what a nice family. You know, despite our political disagreements the Romneys are really decent people.”

My ass. It was an open invitation to mock and jeer.

24. dear heart
    Posted January 5, 2014 at 7:22 pm |

Frankly my dear, I don’t give a Damn!

25. rickn8or
    Posted January 5, 2014 at 8:57 pm |

My ass. It was an open invitation to mock and jeer.

More like it was her turn to be “Squirrel!”.

26. Leonard Jones
    Posted January 5, 2014 at 9:27 pm |

I see what you mean. There is a black father, a white mother
    and a half black Zebra dingbat who likes to wear tampons for
    earrings!

I am sure both her parents are proud of their little girl!

27. DougM (Bison Party)