.gov Thuggery

eat your beef and smile

You’re gonna hear a lot about this:

A Petaluma [CA] company is recalling more than 8.7 million pounds of beef products because federal officials say it processed diseased and unhealthy animals without a full federal inspection.

That’s just over a year’s worth of meat products processed by Rancho Feeding Corp., which has been under scrutiny by the USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service. The agency said that without full inspection, the recalled products are unfit for human consumption.

NB

The boxes of product are marked “EST. 527″ inside the USDA mark of inspection

Yeah.

Aside from being on scene and inspecting the situation with mine own eyes, I have read and kept my ear to the ground and, gleaning from who said what, this whole thing is BS. you should pardon the expression

This outfit processes lots of local, grass-fed, organic, boutique meat. Yanno for the locavores, the organistas, the high-end buyers, and those who just like good quality beef. It’s a good industry and this place is the only facility [and the only acceptable one to hear some tell it] for hundreds of miles around.

Yes, they do process “downs” [sick cattle] because it is illegal to shoot and bury a sick cow on your own property. That costs $100 and happens only 1 day a week — on a day when no other beef is processed. They also process old dairy cows [when they stop producing old cows "go down the road."] That is done on another, separate day — and is what ends up in “Hot Pockets” and the like. Perfectly good meat — well cared for all its life — for stews or slow-cooked dishes.

At this facility — whenever it is operating — are a USDA inspector and a veterinarian to make sure that the animals are clean, healthy and well treated.

From what I hear, the fault committed is a paperwork issue. They failed to fill out or properly file some paperwork. [You oughta see the stacks required -- but then you likely have similar stacks in your own field of endeavor.]

Only an official USDA Inspector can put that “USDA mark of inspection” on a meat package. So is this an admission that their Inspector was stamping those boxes without actually inspecting? hmmm???? I think not.

So — for failing to fill out the paperwork properly — the USDA called a Class1 recall on a full year of production. Nevermind that there has been NO diseased beef found — anywhere — and NO human illnesses reported.

Also effected are the small producers who have thousands of pounds of their carefully, tenderly raised beef in their own business freezers. Or already sold and consumed. With NO problems.

Who can lose a full year of production and stay in business? How many people will be bankrupted by this is yet to be seen but it is a devastating blow to the small producer in a very large area of CA. If one were to “follow the money” I would imagine the large, corporate producers are the ones who will benefit.

Also many of the small producers who will lose their businesses are in danger of losing their land. Nevermind that this is also their home and their chosen way of Life; their “pursuit of happiness,” if you will. Just check the sky for circling vultures.

Anyway — all I will say is that *I* will not toss out my Hot Pockets [if I ate them] nor any other product from this processor. Others will have to make their own choices. Apparently without the full and correct story.

Posted February 19, 2014 at 9:04 am |

Call me silly, but I tend not to wanna buy any meat that connects the meat`s warmness with a pocket—–

Posted February 19, 2014 at 9:27 am |

Captain Benghazi sees himself as a king, and kings have courtiers, only nowadays we call them crony capitalists and contributors who pay homage.
    Follow the money trail, whether there is a personal beef (yeah, I did that) hidden in this contratemps, or some functionary with USDA looking to get brownie points or a bigger budget and more pay, or maybe the targets are just Republicans. Remember all the cars dealers who disappeared during the Chrysler/GM bailouts? Something like 97% were Republican voters or contributors.
    Add Jarrett’s unscripted comment about “…payback time. Everyone not with us is against us and they better be ready because we don’t forget. The ones who helped us will be rewarded, the ones who opposed us will get what they deserve. There is going to be hell to pay.” and these kinds of incidents, and one can see there is no longer a rule of law – only favors or retribution, depending on who sent you.

3. DougM (Bison Party)
    Posted February 19, 2014 at 10:34 am |

^ You sayin’ that there’s a Chicago-Rules thingy goin’ on?

4. SondraK, Queen of my domain
    Posted February 19, 2014 at 11:18 am |

Meanwhile back at McDonald’s…they get their $1 burger meat stamp of approval to eat cows that eat cardboard and other sick cows………..

5. Fawkes News (отказник)
    Posted February 19, 2014 at 11:31 am |

You can be sure a George Soros or Warren Buffett or similar Crony Capitalist will be ready to swoop in when the plant goes under.

6. SondraK, Queen of my domain
    Posted February 19, 2014 at 11:42 am |

Yannow, I have been PURPOSELY purchasing my meat WITHOUT the government stamp of approval for many years now….

Just sayin.

Posted February 19, 2014 at 12:54 pm |

^But with the SONDRAK seal of approval.

8. Lord of the Fleas
    Posted February 19, 2014 at 1:15 pm |

If cow meat comes with a seal of approval, what does seal meat come with?

(Never did try seal flipper pie when I was in Newfie, but I’m reliably informed that it’s terrible…)

9. DougM (Bison Party)
    Posted February 19, 2014 at 1:18 pm |

^ Seal meat comes with embedded Orca teeth.

10. Paul Moore
    Posted February 19, 2014 at 1:18 pm |

I just ran across a report that the number of beef cattle is at a historic low. Call me paranoid, I think a shortage is being deliberately orchestrated.Look for an attack on “greedy, corrupt cattle men” or some such.
    They want us hungry and dependant. The joke’s on them. In my county alone, there are thousands of acres of pasture left fallow. I could easily support a couple of head myself.

11. Terentia
    Posted February 19, 2014 at 1:49 pm |

We must all offer our pinch of incense to the paper gods. There is no more serious sin in what used to be these United States than failing to properly worship the gods of bureacracy

12. SondraK, Queen of my domain
    Posted February 19, 2014 at 1:56 pm |

Paul Moore….all this is by design. Only the rich will have access to the good food and the good health care…….

13. rickn8or
    Posted February 19, 2014 at 3:03 pm |

So it looks like the raid on Gibson guitars was only a shakedown run.
    (And I mean “shakedown” in the Jessee Jackson sense of the word.)

And it’s not just beef cattle that are disappearing. Conversation with some of my relatives in the Ozarks revealed that because of feed prices, they had sold off / processed the last of the cattle on their land. She said it was the first time since the family bought the land in the 1820′s that there were no cattle on it.
    (But the deer are getting nervous.)

14. Claire: rebellious pink pig with car keys - and a *cause*
    Posted February 20, 2014 at 2:12 am |

Only the rich party elite will have access to the good food and the good health care…….

fify
    ; >

15. Posted February 26, 2014 at 7:29 am |

Hit back (as Insty says) twice as hard. Take the individual bureaucrats to court. There’s no such thing as sovereign immunity for civil rights violations. The Ninth Amendment says, in essence, anything you can assert as a right, IS a right. I have a constitutional right to _________ and this dickless wonder’s (It’s true your honor; this man has no dick.) actions have denied me the free exercise of ___________. “Bailiff! Whack his pee-pee!”

M