I don’t think so

Toyota moving headquarters from Torrance to Texas

Toyota is moving its U.S. headquarters from Torrance to Texas, the automaker announced on Monday. The move is expected to begin in 2017.

The city of Torrance said in a statement that it is disappointed by the news.

“The announcement will impact thousands of employees and have a significant economic impact to not only Torrance, but the region, and the great State of California,” the city said in a press release.

According to the automaker, the new headquarters will bring together 4,000 employees who are now scattered around the country. That includes 2,000 employees in Torrance, 1,000 employees at Toyota’s engineering and manufacturing center in Erlanger, Ky., and 1,000 employees at Toyota Financial Services.

Jim Lentz, Toyota’s CEO for North America, said any employee who wants to move will be given a relocation package and retention bonus. The company is also offering to send employees and their spouses or partners to the new locations to look for new homes.

In February, Texas Gov. Rick Perry launched a campaign to lure California businesses away and visited California twice to speak to Toyota officials. Perry said the state offered Toyota $40 million in incentives from the taxpayer-funded Texas Enterprise Fund.

1. Posted April 28, 2014 at 7:40 pm |

Toyota already makes their large pick’em-up in San Antonio, so they’ve enjoyed the experience of a decade’s worth of working in Texas.

It wasn’t just a slick pitch by our esteemed Governor. It was that, and the proof of learning that working in Texas, was so clearly in their best interests, as to make needful the consolidation of all of their regional HQ operations.

Wasn’t just Texas being better than California. It was Texas being better than everyplace else, too.

Jim
    Sunk New Dawn
    Galveston, TX

Posted April 28, 2014 at 8:10 pm |

…And those who moved from california will experience a significant pay raise due to the many lower taxes.

Among a multitude of other benefits.

3. Paul
    Posted April 28, 2014 at 8:14 pm |

Well hell…

Now a bunch of Cailifornicators will come to Texas and try to queer the vote.

Oh well, at lest some real Texans will get SOME jobs.

4. Dave
    Posted April 28, 2014 at 8:20 pm |

Like I always say, “California. A great place to be from.”

5. Abernathy Cranston III
    Posted April 28, 2014 at 10:13 pm |

You can have 90+ days in a row of unrelenting 95 degree weather. I’d rather collect unemployment. Texas is totally unappealing. I know as a conservative I’m supposed to be all “yee haw” about it, but I’ve actually been there multiple times and just no thank you.

Also, it’s not “conservative” to offer taxpayer money to lure businesses. In fact, it’s shameful. None of you are gonna bring that up? Is that how that Rick Perry is doing it? Throwing taxpayer money at multi-billion dollar international corporations with no allegiance the US other than as a means to secure their market share? That’s the Texas miracle? That’s something conservatives should be proud of? Shame on all of you.

In ten years they’ll be moving them to Detroit anyway.

6. Abernathy Cranston III
    Posted April 28, 2014 at 10:36 pm |

Also, no new American jobs were created. They were merely moved.

7. Hopefulone
    Posted April 29, 2014 at 12:36 am |

It’s sad that the States compete like this but it is also healthy for the economy to have this kind of competition. Texas paid $10,000 per employee to bring in 4,000 good jobs and some percentage of those people. I bet the economics math works out in a strengthened TX economy. I expect a large percentage of the 3,000 to move from Torrance due to the job climate and the incentives. (…which, as Paul, #4, pointed out could bring poisonous voting habits.) I would not want to leave the geography of Torrance for the geography of Plano (and I’d hate to have my children grow up rooting for the Dallas Cowboys) but I’d love to leave the government of CA for the government of TX. Leaving KY for Texas I don’t think I could do because I am a green grass and trees kind of person. You can be poor in KY and still have it good, but CA has a reputation for the opposite. I also suspect that finding another engineering-related job in the Cincinnati area will happen faster than in Torrance.
    Let’s hope it’s a wake-up call for Mexifornia–though I don’t hold much hope, being that it’s a corrupt, polluted, non-egalitarian society and government. (Think “gated community with trash piled up outside.”) “Good” is not a goal of third-world government thinking. …but prayers will help them, and they need that more than anything.

8. Stick
    Posted April 29, 2014 at 4:01 am |

Nissan’s HQ moves out of CA
    Ford moves Luxury Auto Group out of CA
    Now Toyota.
    Rumors are that Honda is considering NC

Lessons learned by California Democrats?
    *sounds of crickets*

9. Fawkes News (Blacklisted and Loving It)
    Posted April 29, 2014 at 4:31 am |

In semi-related news, it appears Detroit will exit Chapter 9 with pensions untouched.

Posted April 29, 2014 at 6:22 am |

No one ever looks behind the curtain to see the consequences. They are there for everything we choose.

11. Toadold
    Posted April 29, 2014 at 6:28 am |

The weather here in Texas is awful and we have lots of allergens in the air, then there are the bugs. A lot of construction was done on flood plains and you have to watch out for houses built over that water absorbing clay that can crack a slab foundation like a walnut. Public transportation in the Dallas area is very poorly planned out. You have to make three transfers to go a mile sometimes

12. Nomen Nescio
    Posted April 29, 2014 at 7:02 am |

11^ what are you saying, Texas needs Google buses?

13. DougM (Bison Party)
    Posted April 29, 2014 at 8:03 am |

Competition between states for favorable business climate is a good thing.
    Looting taxpayers to buy business support is not. I think of that as just another self-aggrandizing pyramid-building tax hole (bullet trains, sports stadiums, etc.)

I don’t know which this is,
    but it’s gotta be a kick in the gonads for the reality-averse CA statists.
    So, on balance, it’s prob’ly a good thing.

14. Posted April 29, 2014 at 8:30 am |

In its statement, the city of Torrance misspoke – they meant to say, “in the formerly, but no longer, great state of California.”

15. JimB
    Posted April 29, 2014 at 9:57 am |

If I could move to Texas I would in a heartbeat. Almost anywhere in the Northeast is good to be from, especially New Jersey

16. Paul
    Posted April 29, 2014 at 10:18 am |

Whoa folks…

I LIVE IN TEXAS.

Dallas traffic is no worse than any other major city. DART works well, at least the times I’ve been on it, but it ain’t no taxi cab.

Sure it gets hot here in the Summer. Any state in the lower portion of the US gets that hot. Our state is merely six states in one as for size.

I’m not worried about the jobs Toyota brings, or any tax breaks since in time they will be phased out. I just worry about Yankee liberals and their screwie ideas that fail so often might think they will somehow work down here when they won’t work anywhere else (like any form of socialism or communism.)

But one good thing.. we do have VOTER ID LAWS and CHL LAWS. If you come here to live then you can’t vote twice or three times in an election and folks down here pack heat.

Posted April 29, 2014 at 10:50 am |

So than by what some say you’re damned if you do and damned if you don’t?

18. Buzz
    Posted April 29, 2014 at 5:22 pm |

Frasier,

I would hardly categorize your many contrary comments here as “conservative,” especially choosing to collect unemployment instead of sweating to earn an honest day’s pay.

Texas IS frakking hot, especially Dallas and up, but San Antonio is a nice town. (as has already been stated, how nice it stays depends on what kind of California values are brought with the transfers)

I would struggle with not seeing much snow, but having Shiner a short road trip away might make up for it. (I’d choose Georgetown, KY over TX, though)