ToDaZeD CA *yippie!*

holding our heads high

Don’t be so mammal-normative!

You may think a cheetah would be hard to beat, but researchers have found that, for its size, a tiny California beetle is actually the fastest animal ever found.

Paratarsotomus macropalpis is no bigger than a sesame seed – however, it was recently recorded running at up to 322 body lengths per second.

The previous record-holder, the Australian tiger beetle, only reached 171 body lengths per second, while a cheetah running at 60 miles per hour attains only reaches 16 body lengths per second.

Pretty kewl, huh? I like learning stuff just for knowing.

The mite is local to Southern California and is often found running along rocks or sidewalks.
Although it was first identified in 1916, little is known about its habits or food sources.

The mites also are adept at stopping and changing directions extremely quickly, attributes the researchers are investigating further for potential insights that may be relevant to bioengineering applications.

…But beyond that, looking deeper into the physics of how they accomplish these speeds could help inspire revolutionary new designs for things like robots or biomimetic devices.’

*yikes* Super-fast Land-Drones to record my private conversations!!!

*re-enforces tinfoil hat*

Posted April 30, 2014 at 7:01 am |

Tell me it doesn’t live in any farmland areas, please.

At least it doesn’t live in the irrigation waters. . . ?

I know, but it’s california, expect the worst.

Maybe they could put a band together, like the California Raisins, dancing sesame seeds . . .

2. logdogsmith
    Posted April 30, 2014 at 7:02 am |

Wheeeaaatever

I would never want a Paratarsotomus macropalpis for a pet.

I don’t think a coat made out of Paratarsotomus macropalpis would be very nifty.

3. USMC2841
    Posted April 30, 2014 at 7:23 am |

Almost as fast as a Dem running from their Obamacare voting record or Holder running from an IRS investigation or Hillary running from Benghazi questions. The list goes on and on. For such a waterhshed moment in American politics there aren’t a lot of people standing behind the policies of this administration.

4. Leonard Jones
    Posted April 30, 2014 at 8:50 am |

And I just found out my entire childhood was a lie!

Did any of you people know that a coyote is twice as
    fast as a road runner?

5. Rob
    Posted April 30, 2014 at 8:52 am |

Let me help the researchers “look deeper in the the physics”

less mass = less inertia

less inertia = less energy needed to accelerate, decelerate or change direction.

Can I have a government grant now?

6. Mojo
    Posted April 30, 2014 at 9:33 am |

Ah, super speed land drones?

I recall a dog-based guard cyborg in “Snow Crash” going supersonic at about a three foot altitude…

Posted April 30, 2014 at 10:48 am |

It’s actually a DARPA project; a nanobot with camera, microphone and telemetry capabilities.
    That’s how they got that Sterling guy. Claire, better don your invisibility cloak along with the super tinfoil hat.

8. ZZMike
    Posted April 30, 2014 at 1:13 pm |

By comparison, a Boeing 777 cruises at 590 mi/hr, or 0.28 body-lengths/second.

Rob (#5): All together now: “F equals m a!”

“… researchers are investigating …”

Researchers will go wherever there’s grant money. Next thing we know, they’ll be investigating how bees fly, when it’s been scientifically proved that they can’t.

9. DougM (Bison Party)
    Posted April 30, 2014 at 2:01 pm |

^5 Rob,
    You’re partially correct; but you’re overlooking Re (Reynolds number), a way of calculating the dynamic scaling effects of fluid density and viscosity, characteristic size, and speed. To a critter that size, the atmosphere is very thick.

Yeah, I’d like know how this critter does what it does. Fascinating.
    Not sure I wanna spend any of my tax money on it, though.

Posted April 30, 2014 at 2:15 pm |

^^ZZM (8) My college roommate became an aerodynamics researcher, and digging through some very old test files at the wind tunnel facility where he worked, he found a very serious paper that concluded dead seagulls could not fly.
    Must have been a government grant project.

11. Mojo
    Posted April 30, 2014 at 3:48 pm |

Because they’re DEAD, presumably…

Posted April 30, 2014 at 8:32 pm |

*yikes* Super-fast Land-Drones to record my private conversations!!!

Don’t worry, keep your voice low.

at their size they only catch the high frequencies.