Just …wow

almost there

Here’s a little piece of Truth worth considering on this fine, Spring day:

I am a public defender in a large southern metropolitan area.

…As a young lawyer, I believed the official story that blacks are law abiding, intelligent, family-oriented people, but are so poor they must turn to crime to survive. Actual black behavior was a shock to me.

[story of a particular individual] …This inability to see things from someone else’s perspective helps explain why there are so many black criminals. They do not understand the pain they are inflicting on others. One of my robbery clients is a good example. … He told me what I suspected—what too many blacks say about the suffering of others: “What do I care? She ain’t me. She ain’t kin. Don’t even know her.”

It’s difficult to summarize the points made in the piece. I recommend reading the whole thing — I found it …enlightening. I have a family member who works with much the same population in a different geographic/professional area and her stories always end, “No, really! That is how they live / what they think / what is normal to them.”

The completely different culture of this particular group of people goes mostly unseen and unknown to those of us who don’t deal with it on a daily basis. [E pluribus pluribus]

And I actually don’t believe it is particularly racial in nature. I know many black people who hold the same/similar beliefs about Life and Values I do. But they haven’t been steeped in this particular culture of .gov dependence, idleness, purposelessness and lack of responsibility for self. It is infantilizing*. If it were race-based, all people of a particular race would be / act the same.

[added] It also misses seeing the enormous waste of not allowing these people to even give it a shot. What could some individuals have contributed had they not been prevented from experiencing that most ancient of motivators and thought-focusers: possible starvation.[/added]

This writer is brave to have publicly discussed his observations and thoughts. It’s some of his conclusions I’m having trouble with.

Here’s the *huh?!?* in this fella’s soup:

I am a liberal. I believe that those of us who are able to produce abundance have a moral duty to provide basic food, shelter, and medical care for those who cannot care for themselves.

I’m a conservative; I believe the same thing. I think it’s only decent to care for those who – through no fault of their own – cannot care for themselves. To — and only to — the extent that they cannot. Here is where I part company:

I believe we have this duty even to those who can care for themselves but don’t. This world view requires compassion and a willingness to act on it.

No. That’s not “compassion.” That’s disrespect. That’s saying, “You’re too stupid to get it — no matter what. *I* know better and so will give you everything that *I* think you *need* so as to protect you from the consequences of your choices. Because *I* think you’re so stupid that you would just lie about, starve and die in the streets and *I* don’t want to have to step over you.”

But then he goes on with:

My experience has taught me that we live in a nation in which a jury is more likely to convict a black defendant who has committed a crime against a white. Even the dullest of blacks know this. There would be a lot more black-on-white crime if this were not the case.

So while he is clear that the Knowledge that there will be sure, negative consequences changes behaviors — even in the most …dialed back cuuuulturally chaaaallenged of people — he is still in favor of continuing to provide the situation which gives incentives to the behavior and conditions he decries.

Astounding.

I do not know the solution to this problem. I do know that it is wrong to deceive the public. Whatever solutions we seek should be based on the truth rather than what we would prefer was the truth. As for myself, I will continue do my duty to protect the rights of all who need me.

Keep thinking, fella — yer aaaaalmost there.

1. Steve Skubinna
    Posted May 11, 2014 at 10:26 am |

And thank you, Lyndon B. Johnson. Had you set out to destroy urban Blacks you could not have done any better. And progressives? Give yourselves a hearty high five, you’ve created your population of dependent serfs to keep yourselves in power.

2. jw
    Posted May 11, 2014 at 10:30 am |

Black Rednecks & White Liberals

by Thomas Sowell

3. Leonard Jones
    Posted May 11, 2014 at 10:43 am |

I agree with Steve. Prior to LBJ’s “War on poverty,” the
    out of wedlock birth rate among blacks in America was
    a tad lower than whites. This is because the black family
    was still intact, and still had a father in the house who
    would grab his 12 gauge to defend his daughter’s honor.

In the 50′s, the worst ghettos in Southern California had
    crime rates so low that one could leave their doors unlocked
    at night. There was not a wrought iron window or door
    guard in sight.

The big difference came with the expansion of the welfare
    state. Young males without supervision (Regardless of
    color,) will descend into an animalistic state. All one has
    to do to understand the pathology of the inner city is to
    either watch or read Lord Of The Flies.

The father is necessary to tame the savage impulses of
    of his son and to both protect his daughter and keep her
    from becoming a slut. And since the vast majority of
    inner city violence is directed on blacks by blacks, the
    quote about not caring about his victims destroys the
    myth of black solidarity.

4. Posted May 11, 2014 at 11:35 am |

Tribalism. The opposite of civilization.

Tribals put themselves first, then their family, and last, their tribe. Everyone else is not even human.

Civilization requires trust. If your neighbors are civilized, you can rely on them to do the right thing, be it dealing with a natural disaster aftermath, or returning your lawn mower.

When a tribal gets involved, they are the asshole looters that civilized folks have to give 12 gauge rash to after a hurricane, and you will never see that lawnmower again.

5. Posted May 11, 2014 at 11:43 am |

I have maintained for some time now that there is a dysfunctional black culture out there. That is not to say that blacks are dysfunctional. But a dysfunctional culture has developed, and it caters to blacks. I can’t explain it any better than that. I don’t know what caused it. I don’t think it existed in the 50s, before “civil rights” and the “Great Society”.

If you listen to Bill Cosby or Clarence Thomas talk about their childhood… well… they were poor, or lower middle class, but they weren’t angry or antisocial. The 50s black family was intact and upwardly mobile (for the most part – the libtards will smack me in the face with every exception, of course).

It’s a toxic culture what done it.

Posted May 11, 2014 at 1:44 pm |

I watched a documentary on max security prisons a few years ago, and the narrator was interviewing an inmate on death row, a twenty-something black man who looked a bit like Mike Tyson did at that age. The man had committed a series of street robberies, where the victims gave up their valuables without a struggle, whereupon they were shot dead as they pleaded for their lives. When asked why he killed them, the man looked into the camera with absolutely dead eyes and replied “Because I needed their wallet, man.”
    That’s what the Great Society hath wrought – a bunch of sociopaths who think they deserve whatever they want, when they want it, a small nation of infantile brutes within the nation.

7. Abernathy Cranston III
    Posted May 11, 2014 at 2:15 pm |

Whatever the cause – racism, oppression, genetics, slavery, the welfare state – black culture is largely a pathological ghetto culture and it has infected the broader culture. For this reason, when considering about where I might like to live if I relocate I check the demographics. If the primary city is greater than 35-40% black that is a no go for me. It’s not racism. It’s self preservation.

8. Paul
    Posted May 11, 2014 at 4:33 pm |

Welfare, as in the Great Society, was well meaning (but then the road to Hell is paved with good intentions, right?)

But for many, as welfare financed more and more babies, it became a form of puppy mill. Yes have more babies, get more money. But without husbands the children were raised basically by themselves or the neighborhood gang. No moral guidance by parents or churches.

Hence many became sociopaths. No empathy for anyone else but themselves.

And that is what you see today. A generation (or two) of sociopaths who will rob and murder in a blink of the eye.

And that is the end of the Great Society story.

9. Lord of the Fleas
    Posted May 11, 2014 at 9:17 pm |

^(1) It isn’t melanin based, it’s cultural. The Great Society has created, within our midst, a subculture of psychopaths. It would probably make a fascinating anthropological and psychological study were there any honest and brave practitioners of those disciplines around.

Done.

Now to sit back and watch the heads exploding ……

10. Claire: rebellious pink pig with car keys - and a *cause*
    Posted May 11, 2014 at 11:39 pm |

Fascinting, Lord of the Fleas…

What strikes me mid-read is the un[?]intentional consequences of splitting up the electorate — the populace — into little Special Victim Units might well also be splitting the Citizenry up into Tribes.

de-volution. de-civilization.

There’s a lovely thot to head to sleep with…

11. drew458
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 6:23 am |

Why not just say what we all know already? That a certain minority group comes in two distinct flavors? One group is made up of regular people, trying to get by, who have some pride in their ethnicity once in a while but on a day to day basis are pretty much just regular Americans like everyone else. The other sub-group is essentially feral. The only real identification problem is the gray area at the boundary, where members can wobble from being one sub-group to the other based on temporary behavior and worldviews. Money has nothing to do with it; plenty of members of the feral class have found fame and fortune in such venues as professional sports, politics, “music”, community organizing, street preaching, etc.

Perhaps Chris Rock can explain it the best, although he doesn’t discuss the border zone.

12. PeggyU
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 7:47 am |

^ Source of the problem behavior right there in front of him and he can’t even see it. He needs new glasses.

13. Leonard Jones
    Posted May 12, 2014 at 9:19 am |

You beat me to it Claire. I was about to close out
    my argument with the tribalism angle. In LOTF,
    the boys split into two tribes. Now think about the
    black and Latino gangs in the inner-city.

And on the larger scale, you have gays and lesbians
    (Victims, your word.) Then you have competing political,
    philosophical and religious interests.

The Democrat strategy has always been to divide and
    conquer. 30 years ago, I stated that if the Democrats
    lost just 5 percent of their “Coalition of victims,” they
    would cease to be a viable national party.

Why the GOP has not caught on to this is beyond me!

14. Paladin
    Posted May 13, 2014 at 10:29 am |

Somewhat related but kind of dovetails:

But, beyond the shrunken horizons of spinmeisters, the inability to roll back something like 18C says something profound about where we’re headed: a world where real, primal, universal rights — like freedom of expression — come a distant second to the new tribalism of identity-group rights.