a dragon’s egg needs fire to hatch

~ story ~

(What? Nah, this was wayyy more than a squirrel’s egg.)
_______
archives

Eli Wallach just died, age 98.
Thanks for your characters, Eli. I loved and/or hated them all, but I couldn’t take my eyes off ‘em.
The world is a slightly grayer place, today.

1. Caged Insanity
    Posted June 24, 2014 at 3:35 pm |

“Kurds must’a called after 3a.m.”

With his majesty’s golf and vacation schedule, not likely. The bastard is just not there most of the time for some tax-payer funded reason or other.

2. iD
    Posted June 24, 2014 at 3:54 pm |

Says one Special Ops vet of the 300 troops being sent in, “These guys are being given an impossible mission. What are they going to do? Host a dinner party?”

These troops are to protect the embassy, because he doesn’t want another Benghazi. He seems completely opposed to committing real troops to actual combat missions.

I’m still waiting for a progress report on the 80 troops sent to Nigeria to rescue our girls from Boko Haram. As I measure it, that’s one platoon plus command and logistics. The platoon would have three squads. One provides force protection while one sleeps and the other plays video games.

3. mike
    Posted June 24, 2014 at 4:17 pm |

^iD…so right. What are they going to do? Offer advice? I feel for these guys going in. Their mission is all political which means they are expendable. Great. And boy do we have a great expender on the throne in DC.

I am with Gov. Jindal and his assertion that there is rebellion afoot.

Posted June 24, 2014 at 7:08 pm |

Well the embassy is the largest in the world and employs about 15 thousand people, so the 300 should be enough to watch the camera feeds.

If nothing else, they should be around long enough to welcome any rogue persians that might happen along. . .

5. mojo
    Posted June 24, 2014 at 9:20 pm |

The Peshmerga are grabbing everything they can while the getting is good. Smart boys. Turkey is not gonna like what comes out.

6. Posted June 25, 2014 at 4:42 am |

RIP Eli Wallach

7. Lord of the Fleas
    Posted June 25, 2014 at 8:26 am |

^ Shit. I just checked IMDB last night (on seeing this cartoon) out of curiosity to see if Eli W was still with us, and it hadn’t yet been updated. I was thinking “Yeah, good for him – only another 18 months to the century mark.” (And I noticed he’s been married to the same woman since 1948 – a real rarity in Hollyweird.)

RIP indeed, he was one of the greats.

(He was also the source of the Calvera Doctrine, one of the most universally-held political philosophies in the world. More on that later this evening.)

8. Another Bob
    Posted June 25, 2014 at 8:53 am |

The guy who played the Mexican bandit in the third panel of the cartoon, Eli Wallach, passed away at last night at 98 years.

9. PeggyU
    Posted June 25, 2014 at 9:23 am |

Adios, Tuco! :(

10. rickn8or
    Posted June 25, 2014 at 9:38 am |

Yes, supposedly the 300 being sent to Iraq are “trainers and advisors” to the Iraqi Army. Folks, the time for “training and advising” are long past; besides, how do you train soldiers not to throw down their weapons and tear off their uniforms?

My personal opinion is that the 300 are there to shut down the embassy and get the people out, then become hostages to be traded for the remaining detainees in Gitmo.

11. Nomen Nescio
    Posted June 25, 2014 at 10:53 am |

300? Not for nothing, but does that make Obama King Leonidas or Xerxes?

Posted June 25, 2014 at 11:49 am |

What they should be doing is pointing to where the bombs should be dropped.

13. rickn8or
    Posted June 25, 2014 at 11:51 am |

If Obama was in Iraq WITH the 300, it would make him King Leonidas.

You know he’ll be anyplace but there, so that makes him President Mom Jeans.

Again.

Still

Posted June 25, 2014 at 12:19 pm |

This is far from over. My guess is that Iraq and Syria will fragment into something not resembling their present borders. Kurds have finally got a strong chance to declare a Kurdistan. I also see Iran as the key player in this mess, not JOke KErry and OBoBo.

Scanning through heavy lenses, I see the Middle East coming apart damn near everywhere! America, under OBoBo & RATz will be in waaaayyy over their heads. The USA ain`t what it used to be and I can only hope that the November election and 2016 election will be the start of unfucking what we have endured so far ——-

Posted June 25, 2014 at 12:43 pm |

New subject. Seems like a lot more people in America are living clean up into their 90s at death. I can remember as a kid that the average age was in the 70s. I also read that when Abe Lincoln`s timeframe, the 1860s, that the average age of death was 45 years old [...not counting the civil war deaths...]

Broadly speaking, I reckon technology advances have a lot to do with it, at least in modern nations………

16. LostLiberty
    Posted June 25, 2014 at 1:24 pm |

He’s tall, he smokes a cigar and he’s a PIG!

Tuco.

Posted June 25, 2014 at 2:16 pm |

My mom her mom and her sister all lived a good life to age 92. My Dad his sisters and father all lived a long life one sister died at 100 living on her own. She had a bowl obstruction and wouldn’t complain. So yes you’re right 70 is the new 40. Save your money it has to last a long time.

18. Lord of the Fleas
    Posted June 25, 2014 at 7:28 pm |

Further to my earlier post about the Calvera Doctrine, you’ll find it here.

Ten carbon credits to the first one who identifies the relevant sentence. But it should be easy – it defines exactly the way too many pols (and all progs) view the productive class.

Posted June 25, 2014 at 7:43 pm |

“I leave it to you. Can men in our profession worry about things like that?”

Or, “If God didn’t want them sheared, He wouldn’t have made them sheep.”

20. kinlaw
    Posted June 25, 2014 at 8:07 pm |

You know the Lord is sayin’ right now “do the Tuco voice Eli…”

21. Lord of the Fleas
    Posted June 25, 2014 at 8:12 pm |

I was thinking of the reference to sheep, which is how so many people act in the face of government abuses. (Witness the bulk of the US right about now …)

But you’re also right about the first quote. I totally missed that one, but it’s spot on. Brilliant catch, mech.

Posted June 25, 2014 at 9:24 pm |

LotF,

Does that mean 20 carbon credits? ^^^

23. rickn8or
    Posted June 25, 2014 at 11:59 pm |

kinlaw–
    You mean “when you gotta shoot, SHOOT, don’t talk”??

24. DougM (paleface™)
    Posted June 26, 2014 at 7:18 am |

LotF 18^
    “… or work for it.”
    I know, Calvera didn’t say it, so it’s not the answer;
    but it’s still a pretty good line/doctrine.
    I’ll bet you were’ goin’ for the sheep one.

25. mojo
    Posted June 26, 2014 at 7:56 am |

“If you’re going to shoot, shoot! Don’t talk!”
    – Tuco’s Rule