schtick

______
source
archivesMy point is also known as “Careful your ego don’t write checks your body can’t cash.”

1. PeggyU
    Posted June 24, 2014 at 10:29 am |

In this example it’s mostly about skill and a disdain for gravity. Won’t catch me trying that ever.

2. rickn8or
    Posted June 24, 2014 at 10:43 am |

Correct, PeggyU; one thing I’ve learned in the last three years is that Gravity Always Wins.

Posted June 24, 2014 at 10:47 am |

After about 5 seconds of visualizing doing that, my scrotum disappears.
    No thank you.

Posted June 24, 2014 at 11:05 am |

I climbed something like that when I was a 2nd/Lt attending Winter Survival School in Bridgeport, CA. I was made out of rubber at that time. At age 44 I climbed a pine tree in Idaho to escape a fucking grizzley bear. I was still made out of rubber, but it was covered with sweat!! Lots of sweat + the ejection end of my digestive system was air tight!

5. Paul Moore
    Posted June 24, 2014 at 12:26 pm |

It looks like an activity with a steep learning curve.

6. iD
    Posted June 24, 2014 at 12:47 pm |

Behind every great climber there is a great set of pitons.

7. ZZMike
    Posted June 24, 2014 at 1:50 pm |

Having skill don’t hurt.

What it is, is, you need both.

8. SondraK, bossy nagger
    Posted June 24, 2014 at 2:01 pm |

Well, and performing anal surgery.

9. Jess
    Posted June 24, 2014 at 2:58 pm |

That’s a skill that’s only developed after years of smoking marijuana and the absence of common sense.

Posted June 24, 2014 at 3:12 pm |

I enjoyed climbing and met some nice people, if eccentric, without encountering anything in the way of drugs.

Got good at it myself, but that was about 40 lbs ago.

Posted June 24, 2014 at 3:18 pm |

mech,
    there’s climbing, as ascending a fairly steep incline with some handholds, but mostly a tiring walk up;
    then there’s finger tip and toe tip climbing of pretty much vertical faces with climbing aids like chocks, ropes, pitons, belay etc., the there’s what he’s doing – free climbing WITH NO PROTECTION AREYOUOUTTAYOURFUCKINGMIND!!!????

12. Dave
    Posted June 24, 2014 at 4:29 pm |

Don’t forget common sense, I’ve been known to get farther with that than skill and balls. Hey, I’m still here ain’t I?

13. accipiterNW
    Posted June 24, 2014 at 7:34 pm |

I’ve known a few people who’ve died climbing. One was killed by avalanche while traversing a glacier along with 13 other people- I think the largest loss of life in a single incident in US mountain climbing history (Mt Rainier). The other had fallen (22 years ago this week) some 2000 feet down a sheer rock face like the one pictured. Creepy hearing the names mentioned as “missing” on the news.

The only “climbing” I do, and get paid for is on new roofs. I’m right handed, but the grip on my left is so much stronger from having to hold on for dear life while the right hand is firing a nail gun, or pushing a Skil Saw. Sure, I’ll sometimes put on a safety harness, but then I’ve been tripped by the safety line more than they have ever “saved” me from sliding to a potentially bad fall.

I was finishing up an irregular hip roof with a 9.5 and a 13:12 pitch one dry October when the rain began falling one afternoon. As I was running back up a set of stairs I slipped on some wet sawdust and jammed some fingers into a stud. Back of my left hand swelled up significantly, but I got it finished. Funny thing is the area I was working in at the time was Seattle’s Capitol Hill (gay) area. Here I was walking around with a fist that looked one and a half times a large as a typical one.

14. Toadold
    Posted June 24, 2014 at 8:16 pm |

I find that my mental age is lagging my physical age. Still 12 mentally, actual age 69, and abuse over the years leaving me feeling 80. Adventure is being reduced to walking to the store…..dang it.

15. rickn8or
    Posted June 24, 2014 at 9:22 pm |

Toad, it’s not the age, it’s the mileage and the maintenance. My maturity level is 14, but I’m wondering who the geezer is that lives in my mirror…

Posted June 25, 2014 at 11:58 am |

A persons ego can be their drug of choice. It can take over your body and make you do things just to satisfy it. Like having big boobs implanted or a new nose and big lips or starving yourself until you look like a skeleton and don’t realize it while you prance around town in your tights ——–or you walk around 1/2 blind because you don’t want anyone to know your getting old and can’t see anymore.