you’re welcome irony

A 15-year-old immigrant from El Salvador testified before a congressional panel Tuesday claiming that he was mistreated by border officials.

The teen identified as Saul told the Congressional Progressive Caucus during an ad-hoc hearing that his time at a border detention facility was “horrible,” describing it as “the worst experience” of his life after the unaccompanied minor crossed the border illegally in April.

“I walked 30 minutes to the immigration station where I was placed in a big room with 200 children aged 10 and up,” Saul told the caucus. “The room was very cold, I was shivering the whole time. There weren’t any beds. They gave us nylon which barely kept us warm and they gave us cold ham sandwiches twice a day. I was very hungry because it wasn’t enough food.”…
…he worst experience of my life. I hardly slept for six days,” …
…he came to the United States to flee the violence he saw in his home country, where he was threatened by gang members and saw a man murdered in front of his house…

…“Please don’t mistreat children the way your government has mistreated me,” he said…

Despite temperatures having reached over 100 degrees in El Paso, TX, the location of a Border Patrol holding facility, the Illinois Democrat insisted that the children were “deliberately held in really uncomfortable situations.”

Jessica Jones, with the Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service agreed with the “torture” description and said it was a “way of subduing the people being held.”

Jonathan Ryan, the executive director of the Refugee and Immigrant Center for Education and Legal Services took it a step father accusing the Border Patrol of lying about the reason for cold temperatures in holding facilities

previously

1. Fawkes News (Blacklisted and Loving It)
    Posted July 31, 2014 at 3:14 am |

And the toilet seats weren’t even heated!

It’s all Bush’s fault!

(cough)

2. Posted July 31, 2014 at 4:25 am |

Sounds like he should have stayed in his own country. Will they let him go back?

3. Fawkes News (Blacklisted and Loving It)
    Posted July 31, 2014 at 5:12 am |

Where’d he say he was from again, Detroit?

4. DougM (paleface™)
    Posted July 31, 2014 at 5:40 am |

Sorry, air conditioning can be a real bitch, sometimes.

5. MikeG
    Posted July 31, 2014 at 5:50 am |

So this little puke made it all the way to D.C. huh? Bet he didn’t have to walk there by his widdle self. I wonder if Pelosi gave him a ride in her private plane. Hope that wasn’t an inconvenience for the little snot. Ya don’t like the ham sammiches? What are ya, Muslim or something? Don’t let the door hit your ass on the way out.

6. Thunderbottom
    Posted July 31, 2014 at 6:06 am |

Sorry that you were so miserable, Saul. Tell you what, we’re gonna give you some clean clothes from the local Good Will store (they still have those?) and another ham sammich before we send you home, poor lad.

7. Hopefulone
    Posted July 31, 2014 at 6:35 am |

I came here for free stuff and you didn’t give me enough! …just sandwiches, air conditioning, and a da%*ed voter ID card and a sample ballot.

8. Claire: rebellious pink pig with car keys - and a *cause*
    Posted July 31, 2014 at 6:49 am |

Not the scary, murdery gang-riddled lack of Civilized social order at home. Not the 2,000 miles of coyote-driven, walking, train-top riding, no catering, deserty trek to where ya are now.

6 daze of hard-floored, ham sammiched, not 100°+++ was “the worst experience” of your life?

Asylum FAIL.

Congressional Progressive Caucus.

oh.

9. SondraK, asshole
    Posted July 31, 2014 at 6:56 am |

Most guests are INVITED. So yannow, you can prepare the guest room and hit Costco and whip up a pasta salad or something first.

Posted July 31, 2014 at 9:09 am |

They have already isolated one group of kids already here because of some goddamn disease! Just what America needs, South American diseases crossing into the USA!

11. passerby
    Posted July 31, 2014 at 9:23 am |

“the worst experience of my life. I hardly slept for six days,”

Gee, it’s like the worst 6 days I’ve had in over a week.

12. PeggyU
    Posted July 31, 2014 at 10:25 am |

Would any of these suggestions work? From HuffPo.

13. PeggyU
    Posted July 31, 2014 at 10:30 am |

I think I like this list of suggestions better. The HuffPo one was just weird … but then I guess that’s to be expected.

14. Posted July 31, 2014 at 10:32 am |

he came to the United States to flee the violence he saw in his home country

Oh, he’ll feel much safer in Chicago….

Posted July 31, 2014 at 10:43 am |

He has to get in touch with the mayor of Chicago— he’s going to make sure a few thousand are transported to Chicago—— they can join the ones already there killing for control of the drug trade. He’ll be happy to know the gun laws don’t apply to him. I say there should be a tent city on the White House lawn they can be fed good from Michelle’s garden. I know of one empty chair they can have.

16. Nomen Nescio
    Posted July 31, 2014 at 12:35 pm |

“The room was very cold, I was shivering the whole time.”

Yeah, he’ll love Chicago in January.

Posted July 31, 2014 at 1:25 pm |

^geezerette (15) killing for control of the drug trade
    Maybe the mezo Americans and the blacks will kill each other off, yannow, like “Let’s you and him fight.”
    Suits me as long as I don’t have to throw money at the problem. Being Chicago, the Dems will throw lots of our money at it anyhow.

18. mike
    Posted July 31, 2014 at 8:03 pm |

Love the empty chair reference, Geezerette! Perfect! Clint will be proud of ya.

Posted August 1, 2014 at 11:06 am |

Everyone thought he was a crazy old man talking to an empty chair———————–if only the county had more crazy old men like him.

20. Posted August 1, 2014 at 8:48 pm |

So, now beggars can be choosers, eh?