Lunatic update

Wellp, looks like the Gravity is still turned on out there.

The full Harvest Moon will light up the night sky on Monday (Sept. 8), and this year it comes with an extra bounty. September’s full moon will cap a trio of back-to-back “supermoons” for the Northern Hemisphere summer, according to NASA.

The moon will reach its full phase when it reaches the spot in the sky opposite from the sun. … Monday’s full moon is the one nearest to the September equinox this year, giving it the moniker of Harvest Moon by the usual definition.

This full moon also marks the third in a trilogy of “supermoons” this summer. July and August’s full moons both fell during the moon’s perigee – when it was at the closest point in its orbit to Earth. While the August supermoon was the closest, this month’s full moon also falls during perigee. [more]

Not sure if this means We’re all gonna dieeee! or what.

(What? Uhm, dunno. Garlic?)

Posted September 8, 2014 at 7:35 am |

I imagine it makes the flags somewhat easier for the muzzies to see on the surface of the moon.

Posted September 8, 2014 at 7:37 am |

Anybody have a laser strong enough to project an American Flag on the Supermoons?

3. SondraK, asshole
    Posted September 8, 2014 at 7:45 am |

Well that last supah moon was awesome….had a Great Horny owl on the peak of The Asylum that night…
    Heard one last night too but from across the lake.

4. Fawkes News (Fun Lovin' Thought Criminal)
    Posted September 8, 2014 at 7:52 am |

Supermoons are caused by Gorebull Worming, along with poison ivy, earthquakes, ISIS, and the heartbreak of Psoriasis.

5. accipiterNW
    Posted September 8, 2014 at 8:11 am |

Should be a good night to go walking after midnight- Patsy would have turned 82 today.

6. DougM (paleface™)
    Posted September 8, 2014 at 8:16 am |

mech 1^
    Heeeere ya go!
    It’s a bit long in the tooth, but what the heck:

7. PeggyU
    Posted September 8, 2014 at 9:43 am |

Light enough to do yard work after sundown? :)

8. Ironic in Denver
    Posted September 8, 2014 at 10:46 am |

The post: Silly Dougie, garlic is for vampires*, and I don’t think those Winchester SilverTip bullets have any actual silver in them, so you could try casting your own, or else getting someone to silver plate a dagger for you real quick if you don’t already have one.

7 ^ yep, if there’s no clouds and color contrast is not an issue.

* [Damn, I've been having to scratch more in that excess hair growth behind my ears the last few days. Oh well, it'll all recede again in a week or so.]

9. DougM (paleface™)
    Posted September 8, 2014 at 11:49 am |

^ Sooo …
    we’re all gonna die, then?

Posted September 8, 2014 at 3:08 pm |

Did the moon have anything to do with the own being horny?

11. Ironic in Denver
    Posted September 8, 2014 at 5:11 pm |

^ Moonrise , always a hazard.

12. Ironic in Denver
    Posted September 8, 2014 at 5:13 pm |

Doug 9: Nope.

Some of of us have sharp silver objects, and others of us will just be busy avoiding those sharp silver objects.

Both types will survive.

13. TimO
    Posted September 8, 2014 at 6:52 pm |

Here’s my shot of it from my Canon T4i @135mm:

14. iD
    Posted September 8, 2014 at 6:56 pm |

Durga Puja (a big deal for lakhs and lakhs of people) is not so lovely this year:

Goddess Durga’s arrival on a boat signifies flood and misery, while her departure on a palanquin spells wide spread epidemic.

Not that she’s responsible for that ebola and shit, any more than you can blame Jehovah. It’s just a bad year for humans.

Posted September 8, 2014 at 8:14 pm |

Nice pic TimO.

All I got was a massive flare.

16. Ironic in Denver
    Posted September 8, 2014 at 8:49 pm |

TimO: Awesome. It turned out the tree line at my location tonight blocked the horizon too high, and all I saw was a really nice full moon. :-(

iD 14: I had to look up what a palanquin was so I’d know what to avoid. Then I thought: would an RPG into the palanquin stave off ebola? After that I read how you said she wan’t responsible for the ebola, so I’m back to blaming Global Warming, George W and the Koch brothers for ebola.

17. DougM (paleface™)
    Posted September 9, 2014 at 7:08 am |

^ palanquin, aka golf cart

18. Ironic in Denver
    Posted September 9, 2014 at 9:41 am |

^ 17: [Snark!!!]

(and here’s the word fill kuz wordpress won’t just let me say “Shark!”)

19. iD
    Posted September 9, 2014 at 12:51 pm |

…and here comes the flood. Arizona, too.

BTW: An RPG might destroy a palanquin, but it wouldn’t kill Durga. She’s an invincible supergoddess. (After the gods were beaten by the demons, they retreated to the mountains, put their energies together, and created Durga, who went out and single-handedly killed the demon army. Then she said, “Just let me know if you have any more demon problems” and rode off into the sunset.)

20. SondraK, asshole
    Posted September 9, 2014 at 8:06 pm |

TimO…so jelly! That’s awesome…

21. Ironic in Denver
    Posted September 9, 2014 at 9:19 pm |

iD 9: Durga … went out and single-handedly killed the demon army. Then she said, “Just let me know if you have any more demon problems”

You seem acquainted. Any chance you could get her to visit D.C.?