*tisk*tisk*la*la*la*la*la*

…Because every time I tried to get through a magazine, I would come across stories that I didn’t enjoy or that I actively hated or that offended me so much I rage-quit the issue. Go through enough of that, and you start to resist the idea of reading at all.

Then I thought: What if I only read stories by a certain type of author? Instead of reading everything, I would only look at stories by women or people of color or LGBT writers. Essentially: no straight, cis, white males.

Cutting that one demographic out of my reading list greatly improved my enjoyment of reading short stories…

previously…

Glenn Beck loved Lady Gaga’s “Sound of Music” tribute from last night’s Oscars. Some of it is transcribed on his web site. Lady Gaga shocked fans by linking to it and thanking him for the review…

Posted February 24, 2015 at 10:50 am |

Self-reinforcing bigotry.
    Fear/hatred of otherness.
    Intellectual laziness.
    etc.

This is the poison of class-warfare political fantasizing (aka Kool-Aid drinking).
    How can any rational person believe that sex, race, f*cking preference, gender identity, non-Christianity, etc. categories involve some kind of homogeneous thought process, attitude, or need?
    It’s simply a rationalization for anti-white/male/Christian bigotry.
    And a freakin’ stupid one at that.

2. Fawkes News (#BarackLiesMatter)
    Posted February 24, 2015 at 10:51 am |

Cisgender?! Seriously?

These mooks are batshit crazy.

3. Paladin
    Posted February 24, 2015 at 10:58 am |

What if I don’t care who the author is when I pick up a book? Why be so thin-skinned that I get angry enraged when reading something I don’t agree with and stop reading altogether?

Or here’s an idea: Why not read some books by people who disagree with you? It may just prompt you to be inquisitive which will 1) strengthen your point of view or 2) force you to change your point of view or 3) make you realize that people aren’t automatically evil if they don’t see things the exact same way as you.

Oh you chose to go with option 4) and get enraged. Something tells me you must be a very thoughtful and engaging person; an absolute joy to have around.

4. Posted February 24, 2015 at 11:05 am |

What’s the point of reading, then? She might as well just let her brain atrophy the rest of the way.

5. Ironic in Denver
    Posted February 24, 2015 at 11:50 am |

She needs help from the government.

If all the kinds of authors she doesn’t like were banned, she wouldn’t have to bother finding out whether authors are on her approved list or not.

See what an important role government can play in a having a better life?

By the way, that is how “Julia” will look in twenty years….

Posted February 24, 2015 at 12:11 pm |

In that case to help a person like her to choose what to read I think it’s time for a “What Americans Should Read” czar. That would prevent you from becoming offended and rage-quiting—–what you’re reading— rage watching would be included in the czars job— so as to help you from rage quiting what your watching——is that rage mongering? This should be included in the bill to take over the rage reading on the internet.

7. DougM (quiet, keeps to himself, kind of a loner, nobody thought he’d do anything like this)
    Posted February 24, 2015 at 12:13 pm |

Hmm …
    I wonder if she’s made a burn list yet.

8. icemaned13-"She has Bette Davis Isis"
    Posted February 24, 2015 at 12:39 pm |

Haters are going to hate, but, I personally applaud Gene Shalit for taking the challenge and only reading non-privledged authors for a year!
    It’s gonna be tough so to help supply enough appropriate material, I’m going to send a syllabus of the required reading from every enlightened Ivy League/West Coast liberal arts university.

9. Yarbouti
    Posted February 24, 2015 at 1:52 pm |

One does worry about the young comrades’ mental hygiene.

Living in soundproof echo chambers is a feeble choice, on either side.

10. Lord of the Fleas
    Posted February 24, 2015 at 2:03 pm |

‘Course, the best way to handle these precious little flowers is to black-knight the shit out of them.

11. Paladin
    Posted February 24, 2015 at 3:29 pm |

Icemaned (8):

Onward soldier! I applaud your endeavors to bring more enlightenment to her already brilliant mind. Who knows, maybe someday we will all bask in her glow and learn to what true depths our evil CSI-Normative tyranny has beshackled us.

FREEDOM!!!

12. Wahoo
    Posted February 24, 2015 at 5:00 pm |

I rather enjoyed Lady Gaga’s “Sound of Music” tribute, though those “tramp stamps” on her arms and torso kinda cheapened the moment for me.

13. Wahoo
    Posted February 24, 2015 at 5:20 pm |

I’ll say this about the Oscars: I never saw so many multi-millionaires in one room! And Oprah…I tuned in as she was taking the stage, and I thought I was watching a rerun of the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade, and she was one of the floats!

14. Fawkes News (#BarackLiesMatter)
    Posted February 24, 2015 at 6:04 pm |

Living in soundproof echo chambers is a feeble choice, on either side.

Such a disappointing tu quoque from you.

We were hoping for a somewhat more coherent outside sound.

15. JoeBandMember ≠
    Posted February 24, 2015 at 6:28 pm |

The hypocrisy of an overpaid Hollywood “actress” talking about iniquity mad me so sick I had to take yesterday off, and I didn’t even watch the POS because I knew they would snub Eatwood and the best movie in years.

Huck Follywood.

16. DougM (quiet, keeps to himself, kind of a loner, nobody thought he’d do anything like this)
    Posted February 24, 2015 at 7:21 pm |

Just got your point, Missy. Hadn’t read Gaga’s fans’ comments.
    Seems they’re peeved that she thanked Beck for his nice review.
    You know, “Get back on the reservation, sister. We don’t talk to the likes of … himmm.”

17. Ironic in Denver
    Posted February 24, 2015 at 7:53 pm |

Since she’s reading authors who are “people of color” (what a prissy label) I recommend she spend some time reading Eldridge Cleaver’s Soul on Ice* and other works as well as all of Thomas Sowell’s books – she could start with Black Rednecks and White Liberals.

* I vaguely recall Cleaver referring to white women (that’s her, right?) as ogres, or something like that. But of course Cleaver was probably being metaphorical or talking about Sarah Palin, or something.

18. Claire: rebellious pink pig with car keys - and a *cause*
    Posted February 24, 2015 at 10:28 pm |

“omgomgomg — every time I read anything that is just slightly different from what I already …believe, I get sooooooooooooooo threatened in my very being as a [insert CSI-Special Victim Status here] I almost explode !!!1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

I mean, that’s the whole point of speculative fiction, right?

which is why I now read …other genre for my popcorn books…

19. Ironic in Denver
    Posted February 24, 2015 at 10:36 pm |

^ I do believe that 1984 was speculative fiction… at the time it was written.

As was, I suppose, Sinclair Lewis’s It Can’t Happen Here.

[Well, I suppose that near future fiction might not fully meet the definition of speculative fiction, unless you've got a UFO crash-landing or people changing their sex or something, but still, I'm good with my point,]

20. Ironic in Denver
    Posted February 24, 2015 at 10:39 pm |

By the way, it’s tempting to think that Lady Gaga was doing a class act thing there, although I seem to remember that Controversy is her middle name.

21. DougM (quiet, keeps to himself, kind of a loner, nobody thought he’d do anything like this)
    Posted February 25, 2015 at 6:53 am |

^ Well, after all, a class act during the Oscars is kind’a controversial-radical.

Posted February 25, 2015 at 11:22 am |

So many multi millionaires in one room——–don’t forget they are all champions for the poor.

23. Ironic in Denver
    Posted February 25, 2015 at 1:49 pm |

^^ 21: Yes!!!!! Exactly!!!!
    ^ 22: Does being “champions for the poor”* mean they aren’t part of the 1/4 of 1% ???

* I notice that being a “champion for the poor” is still possible if you propose to take the money of people who are less rich than ones own incredibly successful self to give to said poor, rather than sending ones own money, or eschewing ones own private plane and yacht.

24. DougM (quiet, keeps to himself, kind of a loner, nobody thought he’d do anything like this)
    Posted February 25, 2015 at 2:14 pm |

^ Sorry, didn’t mean it to look like I pulled a Kanye on ya at 21^.
    Meant it to mean I agree wicha.
    [hands award back, goes back to own seat, applauds and nods as if nothing happened]

25. Ironic in Denver
    Posted February 25, 2015 at 5:56 pm |

^ Well sure, I knew exactly what you meant, and thought we were all having an agree-fest.

[No tongue-in-cheek (or elsewhere), actually oozing with sincerity, etc. Fetches Lifetime Photoshop Achievement award from back, hands it to Doug while audience leaps to its feet and cheers wildly.]

Aside: in any case, it would be hard to mistake Doug for Kanye.

26. DougM (quiet, keeps to himself, kind of a loner, nobody thought he’d do anything like this)
    Posted February 25, 2015 at 6:36 pm |

^ Yep.
    I can’t sing a lick.

27. Ironic in Denver
    Posted February 25, 2015 at 7:01 pm |

^ Yeah, that’s the difference I thought of too.