Health and Safety Scare Me

too dangerous to go to work

Nevermind how I got there [archaeology], but I arrived at the “Health and Safety” page of the London Crossrail [Big Dig - Brit Style].

Here is what they say:

This programme is founded on three key principles:

We all have the right to go home unharmed every day,

The Right.

Not the right not to be run over by a drunk driving a train. Not the right not to get an arm torn off by a tunneling machine. [which, check me here, is still not a right. A laudable goal. A fine and dandy idea worth pursuing. A personal preference. Sure. A Right???]

But a Right to be unharmed. Which demands the question: what is harm? Loss of random limbs – sure. uncrushed – yeah. Scraped knees? Stubbed toes? Paper cuts? What about feelings unhurt? Un-annoyed? Not irritated? Not offeeeended? Are those “Harm”?

We believe that all harm is preventable, and

What color is the sky in your perfukt freakin’ Utopia world where every single incidence, every possible outcome, every potential occurrence is preventable?

We must all work together to achieve this.

Does that make it my fault if I scrape my knee? Bump my head? Get a little cut or scrape or bruise? Fall down three flights of stairs? Step in front of a moving train? Most of the time — for me — hells yeah. [yeah - so, I’m a little clumsy. I know it.] So? Am I to be penalized when I do something I will recover from in 10 minutes or less?

Am I equally responsible for getting irritated? Getting my feeeelings hurt? being offeeeended? Will I be penalized for that too?

1. Fawkes News (#BarackLiesMatter)
    Posted March 15, 2015 at 4:27 am |

Right. Progressives keep using that word. I do not think it means what they think it means.

2. Posted March 15, 2015 at 8:48 am |

Welcome to MY world!

Safety is a good thing, but ‘Safety’ is a gummint mandate. Jobs that used to take fifteen minutes for the last eighty years in the electrical power field now take four hours by the time we get all the permits and establish all the clearances to safety people who have no earthly idea of what the equipment is that we’re working on.

In a mandatory safety class a few years ago a guy was arguing with the presenter, an official ‘Safety Professional’. After a couple minutes, I told the guy to just shut up and drink his Kool-Aid, saying, “This is about safety. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with getting actual work done.”

MC

3. Ironic in Denver
    Posted March 15, 2015 at 9:03 am |

^ mostly: yeah, in every area the USA is less and less competitive due to vast inefficiencies getting introduced by people who know absolutely nothing about how to accomplish anything besides gumming up the works.

By the way, if the Brits are concerned about preventing “Preventable Harm” they might try letting fewer Muslims from violent cultures into Britain in the first place… and maybe ejecting the ones they’ve already let in.

Posted March 15, 2015 at 9:16 am |

What I in D said about GB!
    I’ve said here before that about twenty years ago, I read a statistic that 95% of those who die every year die in bed, so I’ve been sleeping on the floor for about twenty years now. I’m still here so I guess it works.

5. Posted March 15, 2015 at 10:59 am |

Silly of course it’s not your fault, didn’t you read the quote right above this?

We must all work together to achieve this.

Somebody else didn’t do their part!

if I scrape my knee?

The government didn’t make kneepads mandatory.

Bump my head?

There was no government mandated padding on all surfaces.

Get a little cut or scrape or bruise?

Offending items were not properly regulated by the government

Fall down three flights of stairs?

Government provided safety harness wasn’t provided or you were not given the proper amount of training in their use.

Step in front of a moving train?

WELL, IT A TRAIN!!!! If you step in front of it it’s pretty much your fault. But as soon as the government figures out how to fine the train companies for running over people they will.

6. Ironic in Denver
    Posted March 15, 2015 at 2:41 pm |

^ Cheer up, if it’s Brown’s Not-Actually-Fast-Train-To-Nowhere, you can step in front of it now, and you’re not gonna get hit for another ten years — if ever.

7. Dave
    Posted March 15, 2015 at 7:57 pm |

As one who works in the trades, my safety begins and ends with me. I have no right to it, I own it.
    I am the last line of my defense.

8. Ironic in Denver
    Posted March 15, 2015 at 10:22 pm |

^ Well said.

Two year olds blame others for their own mistakes. It used to be that good parents taught them otherwise. But now we have two year old adults who are teaching their own two year olds to be just like them.

Posted March 16, 2015 at 7:22 am |

That pendulum always swings way past the common sense mark and gets stuck.

10. Ironic in Denver
    Posted March 16, 2015 at 7:44 am |

^ I may print that out and put it up as a poster somewhere.

11. ZZMike
    Posted March 17, 2015 at 1:45 pm |

Crossrail seems to be some sort of train transit scheme (British term). If they had any knowledge of other trains, they’d know that not a single one of them have been without some sort of “harm” (from being jostled around by unpleasant fellow commuters to being run over by one of the darn things).

Their first point seems to be derived from our idea that we all have the right to “life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness”. Seems reasonable to me,

“All harm” is a bit of a reach. We can prevent all harm by staying home, making sure – somehow – that the place doesn’t burn down &.

Almost all accidents are usually the result of somebody not paying attention.

“We must all work together” – well, either we all work together or we shall all work separately [obscure cultural ref].

Posted March 17, 2015 at 6:09 pm |

^Dave I am the last line of my defense
    Yes indeedy!
    A work colleague took our required safety classes seriously, noting one of the points that we had more accidents at home than at work.
    When he went up on his roof to do some work, he passed a rope from himself over the ridge and tied it off to a solid object on the ground on the other side of the house.
    This worked well until his wife drove the solid object down the driveway.
    He missed more than a month of work.