*NOT* The Onion

WASoF

At Brown University, a student group organized a debate about campus sexual assault. When Kathy Byron, a member of its Sexual Assault Task Force, heard that one debater might “ criticize the term ‘rape culture,’” Mzzzz Byron pannikkked that the idea of challenging another idea “could serve to invalidate people’s experiences,” or be “damaging.”

On a college campus a debate about current topics might produce ideas that are challenging. That’s the whole point of college — *I* thought — to learn how to challenge one’s own ideas, handle others’ challenges, re-think ideas, re-check facts — in short, Think. Right?

Not these daze.

Now it’s a competition for Victimhood Points and a Race to Infant Status. Instead of having a place where students could discuss the ideas — new and familiar — this outfit created a Saaaafe Spaaaace where ‘students’ could retreat from the ideas and the Real World.

The safe space, Ms. Byron explained, was intended to give people who might find comments “troubling” or “triggering,” a place to recuperate.

So much for Intellectual Challenge.

The room was equipped with cookies, coloring books, bubbles, Play-Doh, calming music, pillows, blankets and a video of frolicking puppies, as well as students and staff members trained to deal with trauma.

The comforters of Infants. 20-year-old Infants. Paying 50K a year for a Kolluge Ejumakashun.

At one point she went to the lecture hall — it was packed — but after a while, she had to return to the safe space. “I was feeling bombarded by a lot of viewpoints that really go against my dearly and closely held beliefs,”

Welcome to my world, Babycakes.

Welcome to Life in a Fee Society.

Hell, I spend every danm day “bombarded” by “viewpoints that really go against my dearly and closely held beliefs” — like the idea that a 20 year old coed is unable to handle any concept outside her little preconceptions. I am offended, challenged, irritated, annoyed, and downright horrified see above. Daily. I cowboy-up and cope. I challenge when it might do some good and mostly I ignore, shake-it-off, re-direct and re-focus. Sometimes I even challenge my own “dearly and closely held beliefs.”

It’s what is required of an Adult. Not to mention a Citizen.

But this University has chosen to keep you and your fellows as infants, to make you incapable — unable to handle the rigors of Free Speech *sound of Mario Savio turning over in his grave* in a Free Society *sound of Washington/Jefferson/Hume et al turning over in his grave*.

Talk about “damaging!”

As I challenge my own “dearly and closely held beliefs,” I wonder what might be the benefit of this infantalization of supposed adults — and to whom? A society can hardly benefit when its young adults must turn to “cookies, coloring books, bubbles, Play-Doh, and a video of frolicking puppies” every time their beliefs are challenged.

They wouldn’t make good bureaucrats or bean counters — too easily freaked out. It takes more backbone to be a barista or bakery girl. Fixing tires? ha! Digging ditches or harvesting crops? ho! Is this what a ‘college degree’ means now; the production of delicate little flowers who must have their own dedicated Safe Space everywhere they go?

Of what possible use could such …”people” be in the event of a natural disaster or *heaven forbid* an attack by a hostile Enemy? They couldn’t even be cannon fodder. Given our cultural beliefs [unchallenged, so far] they’re not even useful as food.

Cui bono?

1. Yarbouti
    Posted March 24, 2015 at 6:07 pm |

Cui bono, indeed? I can think of a few other historical figures turning over in graves; people who curl up into the fetal position at first blush of contradiction do not exactly make for good revolutionaries or even effective activists, either.

Excellent consumers, though.

2. SondraK, Queen of SondraKistan
    Posted March 24, 2015 at 6:35 pm |

*CLAP*CLAP*CLAP*CLAP*CLAP*CLAP*CLAP*CLAP*CLAP*CLAP*CLAP*CLAP*CLAP*CLAP*CLAP*CLAP*CLAP*CLAP*CLAP*CLAP*CLAP*CLAP*CLAP*CLAP*CLAP*CLAP*CLAP*CLAP*CLAP*CLAP*CLAP*CLAP*CLAP*CLAP*CLAP*CLAP*CLAP*CLAP*CLAP*CLAP*CLAP*CLAP*CLAP*CLAP*

3. Dave
    Posted March 24, 2015 at 6:52 pm |

Like I always say, PTSD is for people who don’t drink.

4. iDaemon
    Posted March 24, 2015 at 6:56 pm |

I say let the precious snowflakes run away to their coloring books and Play-Doh. The rest of us can carry on the discourse just fine without them.

5. DougM (quiet, keeps to himself, kind of a loner, nobody thought he’d do anything like this)
    Posted March 24, 2015 at 8:23 pm |

Sounds like a universissy that won’t produce baristas even brave enough to start a discussion about race.

Missy 2^
    There’s an alternative to jazz hands.
    (What? No, not the first minute, the second minute.)

Posted March 24, 2015 at 8:25 pm |

A wedgie from Camille Paglia about all this r*a*p*e supposedly happening on campus.
    “My generation of women rose up and said, ‘Get out of our private lives!’ And the university said, ‘No, the world is dangerous. We must protect you against rape and attack and all those things.’ And we said, ‘Give us freedom! Give us freedom to risk rape! That is true freedom!’”

She goes on to describe the so-called rape culture.

“‘Rape is an outrage that cannot be tolerated in any civilized society.’ That’s not what I’m talking about. I’m talking about this new reclassification of people getting drunk, going on a date, going to fraternity houses, and women not taking responsibility for their own behavior. I said that gay men for thousands of years have been going out and having sex with strangers everywhere. They know they can be beaten up. They know they can be killed. What is this where women are, ‘Oh, we must be protected against even our foolish choices. It’s up to men to…’ This is ridiculous. …
    If you are you’re gonna put yourself in the circumstance — if you’re gonna get drunk, if you’re gonna frat parties — then own it.”
    Camille Paglia, comparing the current wave of modern women to the real babes back in her day of feminism.
    – from Limbaugh transcript.

I used to think regressing to childhood didn’t happen until one was well into geriatric senility, not at age 20.
    If these are the leaders of tomorrow, we’re in deep doodoo.

7. DougM (quiet, keeps to himself, kind of a loner, nobody thought he’d do anything like this)
    Posted March 24, 2015 at 8:42 pm |

Rape culturalists oppose self-defense culture.

8. Fawkes News (#BarackLiesMatter)
    Posted March 25, 2015 at 4:39 am |

Todaze Kolledgez n Univurisiteez are for indoctrination, not education.

9. Fawkes News (#BarackLiesMatter)
    Posted March 25, 2015 at 4:40 am |

I can think of a few other historical figures turning over in graves…

I can think of a few others grinning from ear to ear.

10. Fawkes News (#BarackLiesMatter)
    Posted March 25, 2015 at 4:42 am |

^ iD (4): Your artwork does not depict any non-whites, gays, queers, or transgenders, and is therefore Evil and Racist™ .

11. Tennessee Volunteer
    Posted March 25, 2015 at 5:19 am |

…IN MY COLLEGE DAYS, SHE WOULD HAVE BEEN LAUGHED OUT OF THE ROOM.! <:p

12. Lord of the Fleas
    Posted March 25, 2015 at 6:39 am |

Kate at Small Dead Animals has a running theme that what we need is a good famine….

Yup.

13. DougM (quiet, keeps to himself, kind of a loner, nobody thought he’d do anything like this)
    Posted March 25, 2015 at 3:43 pm |

Another activity could be pat-a-cake.
    Well, it couuuld, if it weren’t for all that anxiety-triggering clapping;
    buuut jazz-hands-a-cake just doesn’t do it for me.
    Hey, here’re some suggestions.

(What? Yeah, I’m kickin’ myself for not makin’ the #OccupyWallStreet connection.)

14. Deaf Smith
    Posted March 25, 2015 at 7:15 pm |

Where are these idiots going to find a ‘safe space’ when ISIS comes?