ToDaZeD Dots . . .

what’s a meta for?

Election 2016!

[Sen. Lindsey Graham, (R-S.C.] “I don’t care if he drops out. Stay in the race, just stop being a jackass,”

Trump claimed Graham had been “begging” to help him with an appearance on “Fox and Friends.”

“He said, ‘Could you mention my name?’ And I said, ‘Yes, I’ll mention,’” Trump said. “And he gave me his number, and I found the card.”

He read out the number and told the audience to, “I don’t know, give it a shot.”

Election 2016!

As Jerry ”I smell mustard” Brown sez;

We are talking about extinction.[implied!!!!!!!!11!!!!!2!!!!!!!!!!!!!]

And now for something *completely* unrelated:

So, while Greenberg drove down the highway, Miller and Valasek sat on Miller’s couch 10 miles away and….

“Though I hadn’t touched the dashboard, the vents in the Jeep Cherokee started blasting cold air at the maximum setting, chilling the sweat on my back through the in-seat climate control system,” Greenberg wrote. “Next the radio switched to the local hip hop station and began blaring Skee-lo at full volume. I spun the control knob left and hit the power button, to no avail. Then the windshield wipers turned on, and wiper fluid blurred the glass.

As I tried to cope with all this, a picture of the two hackers performing these stunts appeared on the car’s digital display…

…[Then] the two hackers cut the engine.

Not only does the computer weakness allow hackers to manipulate the locks and turn off the engine, it also enables them to cut the brakes. They can even take over the steering wheel if the car is in reverse.

Anyone got a cheap Faraday Cage hack?
[now that I got chips in my credit cards, I could use one for my purse, as well as my country]

1. DougM (quiet, keeps to himself, kind of a loner, nobody thought he’d do anything like this)
    Posted July 22, 2015 at 10:15 am |

2. ZZMike
    Posted July 22, 2015 at 12:00 pm |

About the car thing: this could result in a surge in Model T sales.

Posted July 22, 2015 at 12:01 pm |

…[Then] the two hackers cut the engine.Another lesson on “Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should.”
    Computerized engine management for optimum economy and power when called is the full extent of microprocessor control I’d want in my car.

For cabin comfort, I prefer manual fan speed, cable operated air damper cold to hot, upper vents to lower vents and ac compressor on off. Simple, fixable, reliable. That beats the hell out of a computer controlled dual zone $4,000 auto climate control unit any day.

And hello car designer assholes, as long as I’m not blind, I can figure out when to turn my headlights and interior lights on and off, same for wipers. If I’m blind, I won’t be driving.
    Take your computers and shove ‘em.

A couple months ago, I had my 15 year old car serviced at a dealer, and the tech told me loved working on my car. When I asked why, he said it was solid, well-maintained and had “only” six microprocessors, whereas the current model has over 100 microprocessors. Made to order for LIVs who must be entertained and shielded from their built in stupid.

4. Fawkes News (#Snarknado)
    Posted July 22, 2015 at 1:41 pm |

Red Ed Markey is sponsoring legislation to outlaw car hacking.

Yeah, that’ll work.

(cough)

5. Claire: rebellious pink pig with car keys - and a *cause*
    Posted July 22, 2015 at 1:57 pm |

DM – Single. Creepiest. Thing. EVAR.

6. neal
    Posted July 22, 2015 at 2:10 pm |

Hackers, poltergeists. At this point, does that even matter?

Hard to know the difference, in a perfect world.

7. DougM (quiet, keeps to himself, kind of a loner, nobody thought he’d do anything like this)
    Posted July 22, 2015 at 2:38 pm |

Claire ^^
    Daisy … Daisy …

That scene where Dave disables HAL will always haunt me. One’s rational brain says “Keep going, Dave, keep going!”; but it’s like he’s strangling an innocent, mentally impaired old nanny who nurtured him all his life then went dangerously tetched. Unlike the difficulty of killing portrayed in, say, the killing of Gromek in Torn Curtain, Dave’s “killing” of HAL was easy and calm and slow and sad and sappy sweet. It made me worry that this was how real psychos thought when they committed what we would consider unthinkable. Scared the bejeezus out’s me.

Posted July 22, 2015 at 5:02 pm |

Well than I’m goint to run right out there an buy me one of them there driverless cars yup I sher am.

9. Claire: rebellious pink pig with car keys - and a *cause*
    Posted July 22, 2015 at 5:11 pm |

me too, DM. meee toooooo.

Posted July 22, 2015 at 9:06 pm |

…just stop being a jackass…
    Graham – “Because of Trump…..we aren’t talking about Obama’s deal with Iran…or failed national security agenda.”
    Graham not only voted for the Iran nuke deal, but supported it before the vote.
    Graham’s silence on securing our borders is deafening. If that’s not a national security issue, what is?

CBS News, April 2010 “…he[Graham] thinks Arizona’s new immigration law is unconstitutional and that “it doesn’t represent the best way forward” when it comes to addressing illegal immigration.”

Breitbart, May 2013 “committee ranking member Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-IA) offered an amendment that would have required the entire border be secured before amnesty is granted to illegal immigrants,… Flake and Grahamjoined all the Democrats on the committee to kill this amendment. …”

Senator Graham needs to “stop being a jackass” and do what American Republicans voted for in 2010, 2012, and 2014.
    Trump and Cruz are the only ones with enough courage to voice what we are all thinking. He is a weasel, in love not with his job, but his position.

11. Ironic in Denver
    Posted July 22, 2015 at 9:18 pm |

Doug 7: it’s like he’s strangling an innocent, mentally impaired old nanny…

On the other hand, there’s HAL all grown up….. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih_l0vBISOE

(Interesting though you had on the psycho though.)

12. TheOldman
    Posted July 22, 2015 at 9:50 pm |

We have three cars in our family ranging from 1990 to 2003, average 17 years and about 475k miles total. I don’t see a problem here.

13. Ironic in Denver
    Posted July 23, 2015 at 9:52 am |

Here’s a car with no semiconductors: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTTzcXSLjhI

…but alas it has a carbon footprint and no solar cells, so what used to be great is now a Menace to the Planet.