your afternoon perspective

There’s a history-making election coming up.
Millions of people’s lives and freedoms are at stake.
The country is in the midst of sedition, invasion, and economic peril.
The world is on the brink of nuclear world war.
Mankind is poised to learn more about the origin and nature of the Universe.
Donald Trump whines about Megyn Kelly.*

[draws a line through another name on the list, taps pencil's eraser end on pad and strokes beard pensively while pondering the chances of an emergence of adult leadership]
______
* Point:
What he actually said is of no importance, here. The fact that a frikkin’ triviality was his take-away from this critical political debate demonstrates his utter lack of perspective. It was the act of a spoiled brat. You know, obamaclintonesque©.

UPDATE

Oh, come on, let’s go to the stoning.

1. Ironic in Denver
    Posted August 8, 2015 at 10:42 am |

At last the truth is out: Megyn Kelly is a card carrying member of The Vast Fair and Balanced Conspiracy.

E.G.:

Trump’s lawyer: Fox News is obviously part of a coordinated effort to destroy this movement.

“…it certainly appeared to look like an organized attack,” [Trump special counsel Michael] Cohen said….

During the debate, [Trump] faced tough questions from Fox News moderators on his past comments about women, his business record, and his controversial positions on immigration….

Cohen described this as an “insidious” attempt to spread the perception Trump lost the debate… [insidious -- okay then -- it's insidious to ask a clown about his act]

Story here, for those who care: http://hotair.com/archives/2015/08/07/trumps-lawyer-fox-news-is-obviously-part-of-a-coordinated-effort-to-destroy-this-movement/

2. Ironic in Denver
    Posted August 8, 2015 at 10:52 am |

Meanwhile, Trump has been uninvited from Red State Gathering tomorrow, and Megyn Kelly has been invited to appear in his place.*

Oh boy, and here I was afraid that the Republican Primary Circus from four years ago was going to not be back for everyone’s entertainment on account of having a bunch of serious, qualified candidates this time.

So far, no need to worry about lack of entertainment. I would order more popcorn, but remarks by a certain candidate (and the subsequent internet explosion) about the meanness of menstruating debate moderators** has put a dent in my appetite.

Obviously, to enjoy this election cycle I’m going to need to get a stronger stomach.

* Story here: http://hotair.com/archives/2015/08/07/breaking-trump-out-at-rsg15/

** Er, if The Trump were to somehow make it to the general, would he say the same thing about his opponent there on the debate stage? I presume she’s a little past her time (in more ways than one) and they are allegedly great buddies, so maybe he’d go easier on her than on the moderators?

Posted August 8, 2015 at 12:39 pm |

As far as I’m concerned, he might as well have used the word “cooties.”

Aaaand that deserves a PhotoShop.

4. Posted August 8, 2015 at 1:00 pm |

Is it just me or has no one ever heard a “rag” comment before? In the words of G. Gordon Liddy, I’d think she could withstand that comment, “standing on her head.” Does Trump stick his foot in his mouth? Yes, but he’s making the field turn to the right, and laying the groundwork for these candidates to more effectively hone their message and blow off stupid, PC questions from the worthless “media” (which the People are craving to hear). I believe that’s a good thing.

5. Ironic in Denver
    Posted August 8, 2015 at 1:08 pm |

….while pondering the chances of an emergence of adult leadership.

To get that you’re going to need an emergence of adult primary voters whose candidate choices are more mature than “Oooohhhhh!!!! He said something nasty! I’m so freaking tired of mealy-mouthed politicians* who don’t tell it like it is! He’s loud, he’s crass, he says what others won’t! He’s sure got my vote, and I’m definitely not going to spoil all this be looking at his record, or noticing what kind of man he really is.”

At present, the people are getting the candidate they deserve,** and if they keep it up, they’ll deserve H-> when all this results in getting her instead of some sober person who could have done us some good.

* And so aren’t we all, but that’s like pining for a black president, without the slightest concern as to what kind of president the black man in question will be. How’d that work out?

** Got to say though, if I were a Media Mogul, and I wanted either to drive up ratings or distract the country from real issues, I’d get a professional buffoon like Trump to grab the spotlight and loudly focus on the trivial. So, who knows, maybe Trump & Co are right and it’s really a Vast Conspiracy of some sort or other….

….so, anyhow, I’m nominating Donald Trump for the Squirrel of the Year Award.

6. Ironic in Denver
    Posted August 8, 2015 at 1:13 pm |

^^ bo1921: If he really presses the field right, that would be a good thing as far as it goes, but I think all he’s really doing is bluster his way into an office he doesn’t deserve and can’t fill.

Also, it would be good to notice that he’s been more often an enthusiast for Proggie causes and politicians than for conservative ones. This guy is about as Republican and as conservative* as Michael Bloomberg.

* Yeah, I know, not the same thing. But my point is that Trump’s neither.

Posted August 8, 2015 at 1:20 pm |

The Fox News panel screwed up the whole debate with their rag magazine accusations and questions. They did it on purpose knowing how he would answer. I wanted to watch a respectable intelligent debate between the candidates on what their thoughts were on how to this save this country from distruction. All we got was a side show. We millions of concerned Americans are not Democrat stupid voters. By doing what they did they insulted all of us and the candidates in the debates. They got their sound bites at the expense of the candidates. If they wanted to make those accusations they could have been done during a private interview with him. The main stream media is going to take this election over like they have the last two. We Americans can’t let that happen. It’s time they get serious joining with the rest of us in making America Frist again. I’m sure we’ve all had enough of this crap. We have a year to weed them all out and decide on one. Intelligently—by being informed not by rag magazine interviews.

8. Ironic in Denver
    Posted August 8, 2015 at 1:35 pm |

^ geezerette, you have a point. Hence my Media Mogul comment. I do think Fox knew exactly what would happen and that they thought that making a side show the main show would be good for rating.

On the other hand, it is fair to say that what Trump got was actually pretty softball compared to what would get done to him in the general election, and that’s something both primary voters and Trump ought to be thinking about.

By the way, although we’re focusing on the main debate, what little I heard of the earlier one had me even more stewed. Lib framing that trivializes the issues and the candidates while drawing attention from what really matters. Not that we won’t see even more of that in the general too. The candidates need to work on how to reframe the silly ass nonsense getting asked them and go for the gold.

9. JoeBandMember ≠ (darn right I'm not equal to that)
    Posted August 8, 2015 at 1:48 pm |

Trump will mouth himself out of the field long before Iowa.

It’s a long way to November 2016.

10. Posted August 8, 2015 at 1:51 pm |

^^ Ironic – Personally I’m voting for Ted Cruz. But, Trump is showing Republicans (especially the smarter, more measured and more articulate ones) that they don’t have to respond in kind to mealy mouthed, “media” questions that are only designed to make the pol look bad and alienate his/her base. Republicans always have to defend themselves over matters that they haven’t had much to do with. I’m not a big fan of Mike Huckabee, but I have to admit he’s doing a good job of not letting the media set the rules when it come to interviews and questions. If Trump is not doing anything else, he’s showing the Republicans that the People are up to their eyeballs in squishy PC politicians and their cowering responses to the media. We have had it!

11. Claire: rebellious pink pig with car keys - and a *cause*
    Posted August 8, 2015 at 3:04 pm |

putz

12. rickn8or
    Posted August 8, 2015 at 3:23 pm |

…all he’s really doing is bluster his way into an office he doesn’t deserve and can’t fill.

Oh, that would never happen; not in 2008, and certainly not in 2012.

13. DougM (quiet, keeps to himself, kind of a loner, nobody thought he’d do anything like this)
    Posted August 8, 2015 at 3:58 pm |

bo ^4
    Yes, but there’s a far better alternative. (see: Cyrano)

14. Stick
    Posted August 8, 2015 at 4:13 pm |

*Black helicopterz*
    Donated so Clinton she would come to his wedding.

Am I the only one who thinks that the Clintons put him up to this Republican run, just to drop out & run third party & gift wrap the election to Clinton?

They MADE me this way.

15. Ironic in Denver
    Posted August 8, 2015 at 4:42 pm |

^ 14: Well on the face of it it seems improbable, but the thing is, when it waddles and quacks like a duck, it’s easy wonder if it is one. Let’s keep in mind that T.T.’s main thing is being center stage, and to him it may not matter so much how he got there, nor why he’s there, as it matters that he is there. (He’s sort of a “Present in the Moment” kind of guy?)

Alternative idea: T.T.’s got a lot of experience in opportunistic business maneuvering,* and he’s working the situation with the thought in mind that he’ll see what opportunities develop, and take whatever profit he can. Worst case, he’ll be very welcome at the Clinton White House.

By the way, most of the really rich truly are different. Common people are ants to them. One of the nice things about the better people on the Repub slate (e.g., Cruz, Walker, Rubio, maybe Fiorina, etc. — well, really almost the entire slate is good in this respect) is that they started off as common people themselves, aren’t far from it, and likely haven’t forgotten where they came from.

* I do not view “opportunistic business maneuvering” as necessarily a slur. I have gone into a few deals myself with the thought that there might be more than one way to make a profit, and that I’d see what I could get. Of course I am small potatoes, and none of those deals had the potential to ruin lives and compromise the fate of the nation, nor even a small part of it.

16. Ironic in Denver
    Posted August 8, 2015 at 4:45 pm |

^ Uh… I think I may have inadvertently implied than being small potatoes rather than doing big things is a virtue. I did not mean it that way. There is nothing wrong with big accomplishments, particularly if it is done without climbing over the bodies of innocent people and without loosing touch with who one is.

17. Posted August 8, 2015 at 5:09 pm |

DougM ^13
    Touché, and well done.

18. DougM (quiet, keeps to himself, kind of a loner, nobody thought he’d do anything like this)
    Posted August 8, 2015 at 5:34 pm |

^ “… and to end the refrain, thrust home.”
    Yeah, that’s what I wanna see in a debate!

It’s also one of my all-time favorite theatrical scenes. It has everything a play-goer could ever want: humor, poetry, heroics, pathos, action, blood/murder/gore, pretty costumes, impressive makeup, over-acting tolerant, and a French fop gets skewered both intellectually and physically.

Problem is, heavy-handed imitations don’t really work.
    No, it requires the touch of a master.

19. DougM (quiet, keeps to himself, kind of a loner, nobody thought he’d do anything like this)
    Posted August 8, 2015 at 5:48 pm |

IinD ^16
    Go ahead, it’s okay, you’re among friends, you can say it.
    (What? Well, yeah, that may be a bit, well, butch.)
    Okay, this one’s for those who are more into musical theater.

20. Ironic in Denver
    Posted August 8, 2015 at 6:47 pm |

^ Well, since I’m among friends, I’ll say that since I’m a little weary of The Trump and his blond-but-not-bimbo gadfly, I did a little free association ["Trump," "Blond," "female"....] and came up with the link below.

I’m not a virtuoso so I don’t actually know whether it’s good or not, but I liked it and found it soothing, which these days has a good deal of merit.

21. mojo
    Posted August 8, 2015 at 7:04 pm |

I can see both sides. True, Trump is a sleazy douchebag, but he’s from Jersey, ya gotta make allowances. In all, he didn’t do too bad.

Megyn, while very hot and smart, was making a statement with her question, not acting as a moderator. I’d bet it was hers alone, the other 2 woulda toned it down.

My view.

22. Ironic in Denver
    Posted August 8, 2015 at 7:43 pm |

^ Well, if Trump flames out, maybe Ralph Perna can step up and run.

23. mojo
    Posted August 8, 2015 at 9:07 pm |

Yeah, welcome to Jersey. I bet Donnie does the “fuck you, pay me” thing in a mirror.

24. ZZMike
    Posted August 8, 2015 at 9:16 pm |

This whole debate thing looks like a reality show, where somebody gets booted off the island every week.

For real debates, check out the Lincoln-Douglas debates. Lincoln talked for an hour or two, then Douglas did the same, then they took turns trying to rebut each other’s points.

It was a major step in the direction of anti-slavery. Douglas was for slavery, Lincoln wasn’t.

Then we skip ahead a hundred or so years to Kennedy-Nixon.

On Drudge today: Google searches influence elections. Suppose that most youngsters get their news from ESPN and Google searches. Suppose further that when anyone looks for candidate T, only negative news pops up, and for candidate H, only positive news.

Could that possibly make someone lean the other way?

Posted August 9, 2015 at 7:26 am |

I wasn’t defending Trump I am defending all the candidates and the millions of Americans who have to listen to the media make a circus out of the election by using the candidates to promote their own agenda. There is a lot of time for each of them to get their plns out and not the PC words the news media wants us to hear. I’m sick and tired of the media making the election into a popularity, celebrity show. These debates are for the Presidency not a Who’s Got Talent show to see who’s the most popular and will go to DC. to run the country.

Posted August 9, 2015 at 8:49 am |

Big question – is Trump a Clinton squirrel out there to go third party and hand the WH to H->?
    He did invite her to his wedding, and she showed up.
    In super celebrity world, he owes her a favor.

27. Ironic in Denver
    Posted August 9, 2015 at 11:25 am |

“… is Trump a Clinton squirrel…?”

What if he’s not a Clinton Squirrel(TM)?

What if he’s… a Clinton Zombie Beaver?

(Music here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Tsm1IrJG1s)

28. Ironic in Denver
    Posted August 9, 2015 at 11:29 am |

By the way, Trump now says: “I will be phenomenal to the women”*

Probably lines of women are forming right now, hoping for the phenomenal experience.

* Story here, if you care, though I could have missed it with no loss at all: