Choices

who can handle them?

”A woman who is intoxicated cannot giver her legal consent for sex,
so proceeding under these circumstances is a crime.”

But a man who is intoxicated can give legal consent. Bit of a power imbalance, that.

A woman whose lips touch wine is instantaneously a child.

On that basis, a woman whose lips touch wine cannot sign a contract, cannot be held to a major purchase [or a minor one], cannot accept a job, cannot be held responsible for any crime.

In effect, a woman whose lips evar touch wine — since one can never really tell unless she’s knee-walkin’ drunk — should never be mistaken for an adult.

How does this effect the relationships between men and women? How does it effect womens’ place in society?

Just 100 years ago:

A women’s emotional instability would make her a dangerous voter. She would let her feelings rather than her intellectual concerns be her primary reason for voting. “Since women obviously could not be trusted to behave rationally, they would be extremely dangerous in a political setting.”

…“Women did not have the intellectual capacity of men because their brains [are] smaller and more delicate.

…Whereas men were described as rational and emotionally stable, women were portrayed as “high strung,” tense, irritable, and potentially irrational. “Their delicate emotional equilibrium could easily upset by a strain-like voting.” “When women generally vote and hold office, ” warned one anti-group, “nervous prostration, desire for publicity, and ‘love of the limelight’ will combine to produce a form of hysteria already increasing in the United States.”

hm… Seems like those promoting the Microaggressions™Trigger Warnings™ Culture want to shove all people into being “high strung, tense, irritable, and potentially irrational.” To what end?

The ultimate aim, it seems, is to turn campuses into “safe spaces” where young adults are shielded from words and ideas that make some uncomfortable.

Wherein,

We should not assume someone’s gender by their appearance … ask everyone to provide their name and pronouns.

How’s that gonna work out for ‘em when they hit the Real World job market?

Here’s another view:

What exactly are students learning when they spend four years or more in a community that polices unintentional slights, places warning labels on works of classic literature, and in many other ways conveys the sense that words can be forms of violence that require strict control by campus authorities, who are expected to act as both protectors and prosecutors?

But does campus life today foster critical thinking? Or does it coax students to think in more-distorted ways?

…A campus culture devoted to policing speech and punishing speakers is likely to engender patterns of thought that are surprisingly similar to those long identified by cognitive behavioral therapists as causes of depression and anxiety.

Having to be sooooo careful of every word you utter lest you offeeeend *someone*? Causing anxiety and depression? rly?

…defines emotional reasoning as assuming “that your negative emotions necessarily reflect the way things really are: ‘I feel it, therefore it must be true.’ ” … letting “your feelings guide your interpretation of reality.”

My feeeelings are Reality!!!11!!!!

Because there is a broad ban in academic circles on “blaming the victim,” it is generally considered unacceptable to question the reasonableness (let alone the sincerity) of someone’s emotional state, particularly if those emotions are linked to one’s group identity. The thin argument “I’m offended” becomes an unbeatable trump card.

I can win any argument, and take any revenge, utilizing only my feeeelings as evidence. I Am Invincible!!!

The expansive use of trigger warnings may also foster unhealthy mental habits in the vastly larger group of students who do not suffer from PTSD or other anxiety disorders. People acquire their fears not just from their own past experiences, but from social learning as well. If everyone around you acts as though something is dangerous—elevators, certain neighborhoods, novels depicting racism—then you are at risk of acquiring that fear too.

…A trigger warning … “serves as a guarantee that students will not experience unexpected discomfort and implies that if they do, a contract has been broken.”

How will people survive with this expectation of a “contract” that *someone else* [mommy, dean, boss, spouse, friend, barrista…] will protect one from evar being startled, discomfited, inconvenienced, offended or ever experiencing any new idea? It’s like being forced to spend the rest of their lives in exactly the same shopping mall of Life with only the same chain stores and fast food joints to choose from. The only choices being MackyD’s or Burger King, BedBathBeyond or Restoration Hardware, Spencer’s or Hallmark, aaaiiiiiieeeeeeee killmeee-killmeeenao!!!

Land of the Free my achin’ arse.

—-

I highly recommend reading this in full

1. Posted August 31, 2015 at 3:45 pm |

While I don’t bemoan the fact that I’m getting old, I’m often glad that I’m way too old for this insanity. My day has long passed, and I’m OK with it.

2. Fawkes News (#FearTheVotingDead)
    Posted August 31, 2015 at 4:15 pm |

Land of the Free Stuff.

FIFY

3. Ironic in Denver
    Posted August 31, 2015 at 4:26 pm |

I see a commercial opportunity here: it’s a Legal Sex Kit for men; it will include condoms, consent forms and a breathalyzer. Offering the young lady a breathalyzer test should be a real mood enhancer. Maybe include scented candles too.

Umm… by the way, if a woman who’s been drinking can’t give her consent for sex, does that mean she wouldn’t can’t give consent in the voting booth either? Should there be a breathalyzer at every poling place so women can prove they’re qualified to vote? No picture ID or other proof of citizenship or registration, of course; but she should definitely be sober.

4. SondraK, Queen of SondraKistan
    Posted August 31, 2015 at 4:27 pm |

Being forced to shop at Restoration Hardware for eternity wouldn’t be so bad…:)

5. Ironic in Denver
    Posted August 31, 2015 at 4:29 pm |

The obligatory cultural ref: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wse_hgca220

6. Ironic in Denver
    Posted August 31, 2015 at 4:36 pm |

Just thinking this through to one of its many logical (and idiotic) conclusions….

… there’s a man a wife, who, perhaps in the privacy of their own home, have a few nice drinks, and then engage in some whoopie-whoopie….

….the next morning she* wakes up, and realizes she’s been raped….

* Oh darn! A gender specific pronoun.

Posted August 31, 2015 at 5:29 pm |

We should not assume someone’s gender by their appearance , so after you’ve been properly introduced, you and your introducer depants the individual (gender neutral, see?)
    snatch the individual into the air by the ankles and have a close look at the genitalia.
    Penis = man, vagina = woman.
    Be sure to remember the individual’s name, release the individual, and while the individual is recovering pants and dignity, run like hell to get your lawyer.
    Unless the individual has signed a release to be identified.

8. Fawkes News (#FearTheVotingDead)
    Posted August 31, 2015 at 5:30 pm |

^ The possibilities of irrational conclusions from absurd premises are endless.

9. Ironic in Denver
    Posted August 31, 2015 at 6:14 pm |

“I’m offended” becomes an unbeatable trump* card.

* “Trump” — the new trigger word. Whatever follows “Trump said…” is sure to offend someone. (Snark!)

10. Posted August 31, 2015 at 6:25 pm |

And yet the sign provides good advice. For example, in that hotbed of liberal craziness, Oklahoma-

Ҥ 1111. Rape defined

A. Rape is an act of sexual intercourse… under any of the following circumstances:

2. Where the victim is incapable through mental illness or any other unsoundness of mind, whether temporary or permanent, of giving legal consent;

4. Where the victim is intoxicated by a narcotic or anesthetic agent, administered by or with the privity of the accused as a means of forcing the victim to submit;

5. Where the victim is at the time unconscious of the nature of the act and this fact is known to the accused;…”

And those are OR, not AND.

Don’t impair yourself and create a circumstance where it’s your drunk perceptions, actions, and word against another’s what happens or happened.

11. Dave
    Posted August 31, 2015 at 7:59 pm |

If I got locked up every time I had sex when drunk I’d still be in jail

12. Deaf Smith
    Posted August 31, 2015 at 8:58 pm |

So are the liberal/progressive colleges going to campaign to repeal the 19th Amendment?

Just wondering if that’s their aim. I mean if they are incapable..

13. accipiterNW
    Posted August 31, 2015 at 9:33 pm |

Translation for the coed: Quit getting drunk and treating men like sex objects!

There. I feel much better now.

14. Paul Moore
    Posted September 1, 2015 at 3:52 am |

I was dating a liberal lady (big mistake, I know). She related an anecdote about her niece, an adopted Chinese who was told by a classmate, “Of course you got an ‘A’ in the course, you’re Asian.” I made the mistake of pointing out studies demonstrating that Asians, as a demographic, actually do score higher than whites in general intelligence tests.
    A two year love affair ended that day.
    They only love “science” when it supports their prejudices.

15. Paladin
    Posted September 1, 2015 at 6:32 am |

So if a dude dates a chick who identifies as a dude does that mean he’s they’re gay?

16. rickn8or
    Posted September 1, 2015 at 10:14 am |

Glad I got both my sons through college before this madness started. I only hope it burns itself out before my grandsons start.

17. Ironic in Denver
    Posted September 1, 2015 at 3:00 pm |

Paul Moore 14: congratulations on your loss

I myself an currently faced with a dating field that’s mostly liberal women. Hard to know how to have a meaningful relationship with a woman whose head is full of tripe. Not sure what to do.

Aside: Suggestions that I solve this problem by joining the Log Cabin Republicans will not be welcome.

18. rickn8or
    Posted September 1, 2015 at 3:38 pm |

Roger that. I’m grateful for the Internets so I can scamper about and remind myself that not all women are brainless liberal twits.

19. Ironic in Denver
    Posted September 1, 2015 at 4:50 pm |

^ Well, we’ll see. The last woman I met without vetting proudly told me over coffee that she’d worked through some union lobbying effort to help get Obamacare enacted. No second date.

20. DougM (quiet, keeps to himself, kind of a loner, nobody thought he’d do anything like this)
    Posted September 1, 2015 at 5:21 pm |

Arguing with smart people is hard.
    Arguing with stupid people is impossible.

21. Fawkes News (#FearTheVotingDead)
    Posted September 1, 2015 at 7:08 pm |

^ Doug (20): Quote o Teh Week!

Many Progs are stupid people who think they’re smart. Others may be intelligent but become intellectually lazy because all talking points are pre-packaged and no opposing opinion is permitted in polite circles.

Most people are “apolitical” because politics is boring and/or uncomfortable to think about. Unfortunately, for small talk, they default to the bon mots distributed by the likes of Google and Yahoo from the likes of Vox and Media Matters.

IiD, As for dating, the best you can hope for is someone who takes Prog talking points as fact, but is open minded to opposing views she had not been exposed to before. It worked for me, anyway.

22. DougM (quiet, keeps to himself, kind of a loner, nobody thought he’d do anything like this)
    Posted September 1, 2015 at 7:50 pm |

^ Thanks, but it’s not entirely original.
    See #22