Guess what I got for T’giving!

for my sins….

Aching, fever, sore throat, a little sniffles, general malaise and limpness, mental acuity of a bowl of leftover stuffing.

So what are your favorite cold remedies?

1. Fawkes News (Barack Lies Matter)
    Posted November 29, 2015 at 9:49 am |

Bourbon. You don’t feel any better, but you don’t care anymore. ;)

Actually, saline solution in the nostrils works as well as anything.

2. DougM (quiet, keeps to himself, kind of a loner, nobody thought he’d do anything like this)
    Posted November 29, 2015 at 9:53 am |

Prob’ly nothing will fix it; but you can deal with it by
    eating a bowl of leftover stuffing,
    giving a puppy a tummy rub, or
    whining about it.

Posted November 29, 2015 at 10:15 am |

Four or five days.
    A paliative of bourbon in conjuncton with a sleep inducing anti-congestive may help the days of misery pass more quickly.
    Wishing you a speedy recovery,
    Dr. dick not quite dead white guy

4. Dave
    Posted November 29, 2015 at 10:49 am |

Tough it out, the bourbon helps. Advil for the headache.
    No acetaminophen if you have any alcohol.

5. Stick
    Posted November 29, 2015 at 10:56 am |

Bourbon it is.

Old guy in the mountains of NC told me to put your hat on the bedpost, get into bed & sip Bourbon until you see two hats. Next morning, your cold is gone.

6. jlw
    Posted November 29, 2015 at 11:14 am |

ibuprofen and Irish coffee.

7. Ironic in Denver
    Posted November 29, 2015 at 12:01 pm |

This stuff is targeted on flu, where it really works, but it seems to help with any respiratory virus:

Available in most local health food stores.

There’s various versions of it. Sugar free, original, with extra stuff like echinacea, etc.

It’s most effective if you start within 24 hours of symptom onset, but is still good if you start later. Whenever I start to get some respiratory scratchy I get on it right away, and usually get relief within a day or two.

Of course if I develop ebola symptoms instead, I plan to follow the example of certain U.S. health workers and go on Caribbean cruises, take commercial plane flights,* and visit local restaurants.

* Note unambiguous use of Oxford Comma.

8. Daemon
    Posted November 29, 2015 at 12:09 pm |

I used to take Pseudoephedrine HCL, but now they treat you like a criminal for wanting to buy what used to be a perfectly ordinary and effective over-the-counter cold remedy. Apparently, it can be used to make meth.

I think it’s still in some cough syrups, though. I haven’t had a cold in ages, so I don’t know for sure.

9. SondraK, Queen of SondraKistan
    Posted November 29, 2015 at 12:48 pm |

Oregano tea with lemon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It’s the best.

This cold, if the one you have ends up like everyone else, is a doozie. Very congested, head and lungs. Salt rinses for the nose and keep it all moving. The oregano tea helps that too.
    The headache, you’re on your own. I found nothing to really knock it out.

And rest. And move around. Mine lingered for about 3 weeks until we discovered that I have thrush in my throat and mono. Sigh……….

10. bocopro
    Posted November 29, 2015 at 2:37 pm |

Day 1 — sinigang na baboy, maraming sibuyo at sabaw
    Day 2 — tinola na may malunggay
    Day 3 — ginisang ampalaya
    Day 4 — caldereta na may siling maanhang
    Day 5 — apritada
    Day 6 — sotanghon na may sili at sibuyo dilaw
    Day 7 — nilaga, maraming sibuyo pula
    Day 8 — mongo guisado at halaman selot
    Day 9 — miki bihon, at saka isang baso’ng alak
    Day 10 – pancit canton na may hipon at maraming sibuyo
    Day 11 – pepperoni pizza, extra cheese and sausage, Pepsi on chipped ice

Drink plenty of fluids, stay out of drafts, have at least one shot of good drinking whiskey each afternoon around 5, and get plenty of sleep.

Follow this prescription and you’ll be rid of the cold in 10 days. Failing to do so may cause it to linger for a week and a half.

11. PeggyU
    Posted November 29, 2015 at 2:49 pm |

For coughing I have found that the Throat Coat tea seems to work better than any other over-the-counter remedy. My father (a physician) used to mix up vodka and orange juice for the family when we had colds/flu.

12. Thomas M.
    Posted November 29, 2015 at 5:08 pm |

If you catch it early enough, Zicam works like a champ for me. If not it still lessens the severity and the duration. If I even feel like I’m starting to get a cold I take zinc and it seems to help ward it off.

13. Ironic in Denver
    Posted November 29, 2015 at 6:13 pm |

bocopro 10: Day 11 – pepperoni pizza, extra cheese and sausage…

OMG: it’s only Day 1 and I’m hungry already.

14. Lord of the Fleas
    Posted November 29, 2015 at 8:49 pm |

Don’t know if you folks have this stuff down in the USSA, but NeoCitran works for me. (Or its generic equivalent, which most stores now carry.) ‘Specially if I start taking it the moment I even suspect a cold coming on. Nip it in the bud, as they say.

15. Ironic in Denver
    Posted November 29, 2015 at 9:14 pm |

^ Suicide will also halt the progression of the disease (and pretty much any other disease too); but, as the saying goes, the cure is worse than the disease.

16. DougM (quiet, keeps to himself, kind of a loner, nobody thought he’d do anything like this)
    Posted November 30, 2015 at 7:08 pm |

Claire,
    Be aware that a sneezing fit can lead to unexpected problems.

17. toadold
    Posted December 1, 2015 at 8:57 am |

Sniffing alcohol fumes seems to losen the phlegm and kill the bugs in the sinuses. So brandy, bourbon, or even rye whiskey will work. After you sniff enough you can drink it. Hard candy with a lot of sugar content helps the throat for some reason.