Yer Tax $$$,$$$ at “Work”!

glaciers are an agglomeration of Special Snowflakes™

Try this on for sense:

The National Science Foundation has spent more than $400,000 on a study that published scientific results on the “relationship between gender and glaciers.”

The paper … concluded that “ice is not just ice,” urging scientists to take a “feminist political ecology and feminist postcolonial” approach when they study melting ice caps and climate change.

ooooo — a mine of PCBS!

“feminist political postcolonial ecology in human-ice interactions”

wtf’nff r u talking about for our $400,000?

Come to that, where do I sign up to write a jargon-inventive filled paper for $400,000? I’d like to try my hand.

1. ZZMike
    Posted March 8, 2016 at 12:39 pm |

Here’s a real hoax that almost everybody fell for:

Sokal’s Hoax

“An article bearing the portentous title “Transgressing the Boundaries: Toward a Transformative Hermeneutics of Quantum Gravity” ran in the Spring 1996 issue of the cultural studies journal Social Text.”

2. Fawkes News (Choose Cruz or Lose)
    Posted March 8, 2016 at 1:52 pm |

Isn’t it wrong to pre-assign gender roles to ice? We should ask how it identifies first.

3. DougM (quiet, keeps to himself, kind of a loner, nobody thought he’d do anything like this)
    Posted March 8, 2016 at 2:08 pm |

Thanks for posting this, Claire.
    Love the snowflakes allusion.

Ace of Spades savaged it delightfully, so much better than I can.

I will gladly vote for a guy who will prosecute academic fraud (tax funded)
    or one who will eliminate the unconstitutional funding and regulation of academic activities.

4. Lord of the Fleas
    Posted March 8, 2016 at 3:01 pm |

Do these people qualify as social just ice warriors?

No just ice – no peace.

I usually drink my scotch neat, but sometimes I add just ice.

(Feel free to add others …)

Posted March 8, 2016 at 4:01 pm |

An alternative study on frigidity?

6. accipiterNW
    Posted March 8, 2016 at 8:42 pm |

What, is one of the special snowflakes upset with the term “hoar frost?”

7. MikeG
    Posted March 8, 2016 at 9:11 pm |

Can someone explain what the fuck that fourth paragraph is talking about? Looks like a bunch of words randomly puked up onto my screen.

“Merging feminist postcolonial science studies and feminist political ecology, the feminist glaciology framework generates robust analysis of gender, power, and epistemologies in dynamic social-ecological systems, thereby leading to more just and equitable science and human-ice interactions,” the paper said.

8. DougM (quiet, keeps to himself, kind of a loner, nobody thought he’d do anything like this)
    Posted March 8, 2016 at 10:09 pm |

^ Yeah, I didn’t quite get the “human-ice interactions” thing, either.
    DId they mean hockey or cocktails?

9. Daemon
    Posted March 8, 2016 at 10:30 pm |

The Onion might as well close up shop. They can’t beat this with a hammer.

Posted March 9, 2016 at 8:33 am |

^^Did they mean hockey or cocktails?
    Trapped in the Antarctic ice pack. See ‘Shackleton’.
    100+ years later, she’s upset because the man-pigs didn’t allow no wymyn to see how tough zhey were on that expedition.
    She wouldn’t have liked the pay though.

11. Posted March 9, 2016 at 4:38 pm |

2 ^ Fawkes
    Last I understood, glaciers didn’t give a rat’s ass what gender you, them or anyone else is. They just glacier.

12. ZZMike
    Posted March 9, 2016 at 7:28 pm |

MikeG : That’s because you haven’t gone through 3 or 4 years of post-modern textual analysis. To those enlightened beings, it’s crystal clear (ice-clear):

” feminist glaciology framework .. lead[s] to more just and equitable science and human-ice interaction.”

Unlike the 1912 Titanic-ice interaction, which was of course unjust – because poor people died and rich people got saved.

13. Fat Baxter
    Posted March 9, 2016 at 8:52 pm |

^^ Oh, c’mon. the Titanic committed a micro-aggression against the iceberg, whereupon the iceberg committed an act of social justice in retaliation.

Sheesh! Do I have to explain everything?

14. mojo