the science engineering is settled

Confession time. (slow-weekend edition)
I love, looove watching free-energy and perpetual-motion-machine videos on YouTube.
It’s like watching magic and illusion performances … and politics and politicized “science.”

Mainly, all this stuff is based on lies, delusions, or errors.
The fun is in finding them.

Some of it (e.g. magic/illusion) is honestly presented — you pay to be entertained and fooled, you’re not cheated —
but the other stuff is either a scam or a delusional presentation that insults the audience.
It’s like the difference between cups & balls and three-card monte*.

(starts at the buttered toast)
_________
Here’s a wonderful rant.
* In three-card monte, the audience guy who wins is a shill, a member of the con-game team (e.g. gov’t-grant scientist).

UPDATE: Original source of the second gif Fawkes News

1. Posted March 19, 2016 at 2:05 pm |

The best (and simplest) terrestrial perpetual motion machine is a wheel. Gravity pulls the right side down, thereby lifting up the left side! And best of all, it’s reversible! Give it a spin in either direction, and it will continue to spin for a really long time. It does stop eventually, but that’s only because we haven’t yet worked out all the kinks. But we’re almost there! We have a proof of concept, and the next version will actually produce excess energy. In fact, we’ll have to put a governor on it, because once it gets started, it will just keep feeding energy back into itself, and it will fly apart from overspeed.

Posted March 19, 2016 at 2:51 pm |

All those fun gadgets had an initial potential energy or kinetic energy input. With those nicely built, low friction gadgets, the energy losses are small, but eventually those losses will dissipate the initial energy of the system and it will stop.

Likewise, the massive initial government cash input into green energy schemes scams will be dissipated into the pockets of the green company owners, and they will stop when they no longer receive subsidies or some pissed off taxpayers tar and feather them, which ever comes first.

I’ve thought many times that if the Green weenies ever managed to stop oil production, what would they use to lube their wind turbines?
    Whale oil? Beef fat?
    Oh, there we go again.

3. DougM (quiet, keeps to himself, kind of a loner, nobody thought he’d do anything like this)
    Posted March 19, 2016 at 3:06 pm |

Dick^
    *heh*
    Here’s one from back in 2011:

Karl^^
    Motors, the anti-friction.
    When I say “lie,” I mean “cheat;” and when I say “cheat,” I mean it.
    Sometimes, it’s as simple as looking around for the wires or identifying a subtle energy-transfer mechanism*.
    ___________
    * I think there’s some vapor condensation in the head, too, not just lower pressure.

Posted March 19, 2016 at 4:15 pm |

I wonder how long you could sit and watch the perpetual wheel with out being stoned???

5. Fawkes News (Choose Cruz or Lose)
    Posted March 19, 2016 at 4:47 pm |

I heard the cat-and-buttered-bread patent was stolen and hidden away by the oil companies to preserve their profits.

6. Dave
    Posted March 19, 2016 at 4:49 pm |

^^ I dunno, I’ve never tried it that way.

7. DougM (quiet, keeps to himself, kind of a loner, nobody thought he’d do anything like this)
    Posted March 19, 2016 at 4:50 pm |

Fawkes ^^
    Yeah, “The gov’t/big-something don’t want you to know!” is a dead give-away.
    Start lookin’ for the BS.

If anyone knows where the toast/cat thing came from, I’d love to know.
    It’s one of my favorites.

8. Fawkes News (Choose Cruz or Lose)
    Posted March 19, 2016 at 5:06 pm |

^ Apparently, it’s from an energy drink ad.

9. ZZMike
    Posted March 19, 2016 at 6:13 pm |

That wheelie thing is one of the earliest PPMs. It still hasn’t worked quite right.

dnqdwg: To borrow a saying from Dune: Friction is the motion-killer. I have on old book on engines (from the ’30s): There’s a photo and writeup of a large wheel (7 – 8 ft, several hundred pounds) with a special type of bearing. They could put a silk handkerchief on one side, and the wheel would start turning. I forget how long it would spin once they gave it a good push.

10. DougM (quiet, keeps to himself, kind of a loner, nobody thought he’d do anything like this)
    Posted March 19, 2016 at 7:07 pm |

^^ Fawkes wins the arcane-trivia award thing!
    Thanks!

^ Yeah, the top gif is based on one of DaVinci’s drawings for this kind of invention, so they go wayyy back.

11. Joe Bandmember ≠ Damn right I'm not equal to that
    Posted March 19, 2016 at 7:58 pm |

The State of WA tried to build a perpetual motionless machine. They almost had it until it got to be 5 P.M. and the guy got up to go home.

12. Joe Bandmember ≠ Damn right I'm not equal to that
    Posted March 19, 2016 at 7:59 pm |

Not to be outdone, Governor Inslee came up with the LEAN program where massive meetings are held to discuss ways to increase efficiency.