stuff that’s hard to do (cont’d)

same booster, three launches and landings

~ vid ~
[starts savin' up for trip]

Also: SpaceX Falcon9 w/unmanned Dragon spacecraft is scheduled to launch 4:43 p.m. EDT Friday.

1. ZZMike
    Posted April 6, 2016 at 1:49 pm |

There’s gotta be a little wear & tear on that booster each trip. How many times before it needs severe maintenance?

2. DougM (quiet, keeps to himself, kind of a loner, nobody thought he’d do anything like this)
    Posted April 6, 2016 at 3:53 pm |

^ I reckon that’s #1 on the “things to find out” list for the test program.

3. Dave
    Posted April 6, 2016 at 5:54 pm |

“starts savin’ up for trip”
    I can sell my house and still have enough for snacks.

Posted April 6, 2016 at 8:03 pm |

That was impressive. The pad looks really small, but the booster wasn’t far off center at landing.
    Am I the only one who thinks the booster landed softer than the crew capsule? I’d want bigger parachutes to ride that thing down.

5. DougM (quiet, keeps to himself, kind of a loner, nobody thought he’d do anything like this)
    Posted April 6, 2016 at 9:10 pm |

^ Yeah, but a parachute landing is inherently simple and stable, while the engine landing is like balancing a broom handle upright on your chin.
    Besides, the parachute capsule doesn’t have a bunch’a residual propellant aboard. You know, the whole plummeting to Earth and ending in a fireball thing.

Posted April 6, 2016 at 9:50 pm |

^ Noooooo… I don’t want any parts of riding the bomb booster down.
    I marvel at the control feedback that keeps the booster vertical on going up and coming down. Servos going apeshit to earn their keep.
    I just thought the capsule landing looked a bit firm and would like a softer landing. After a ride like that, who needs compression fractured vertebrae?

7. DougM (quiet, keeps to himself, kind of a loner, nobody thought he’d do anything like this)
    Posted April 7, 2016 at 10:33 am |

^ The vid noted 1.3-mph capsule landing rate.
    Heck, I do more’n that jumpin’ into bed (even more when I miss).

Posted April 7, 2016 at 11:04 am |

^ That’s OK. Big dust cloud made me think it was faster.