stuff that’s gettin’ easier to do

SkySpaceNet

~ ROLLOVER ~

CosmiQ Works, a firm closely associated with the [CIA], is working with the online retail giant and the satellite mapping firm DigitalGlobe to train algorithms to work out what’s happening on the surface of our planet.

Satellites can already capture astonishingly detailed images from up in space, but the CIA-linked project wants to go one step further and use artificial intelligence to analyse these pictures. The partners hope to collect 60 million satellite images and store them in a database called SpaceNet which will be open and accessible by members of the public. [more]

Wellp, it is the 21st Century.

(What? Yeah, prob’ly just the tail of the dragon.)

1. rickn8or
    Posted August 25, 2016 at 1:01 pm |

Horry clap! Terminator was a documentary!

Posted August 25, 2016 at 3:41 pm |

Well, no more using outdoor ranges.
    Indoor ranges have surveillance cameras, you say?
    Crap. Wife’s not gonna like me shooting in the basement.

Going to a cashless society with only electronic exchanges allowed?
    OK, where do I get an invisibility cloak?

3. DougM (quiet, keeps to himself, kind of a loner, nobody thought he’d do anything like this)
    Posted August 25, 2016 at 3:56 pm |

^ Dig a trench outside that starts at the basement wall, cut a hole in the wall, drop some concrete drainage pipe in the trench, and put an access manhole at the far end to service targets, catch lead, and vent fumes. Then use silencers. Problem solved.

Oh, and make ‘er promise not to store Christmas decorations in it.

4. Nomen Nescio
    Posted August 25, 2016 at 4:52 pm |

Don’t forget the acoustic foam. (Assuming your town has Shot Tracker.) And don’t use tannerite unless you park a truck on the man hole cover. Wait, that could be fun. Lots of fun.

Posted August 25, 2016 at 6:19 pm |

^^ Yeah, I’ll get a permit for a 14,000 gal septic tank (about 4x6x80 ft), then after the tank is set, tell the inspector I can’t hook it up because I’m out of money.
    Good tip about the Christmas stuff. All my antique trunks and half our closets are full of that junk.

6. Nomen Nescio
    Posted August 25, 2016 at 7:33 pm |

4^, okay I’m back. The ED doc said my eyebrows will grow back and I shouldn’t drink until a concussion can be ruled out. Then he started in on Newton and Bernoulli and conservation of momentum and my head started to hurt worse and I got zinc ointment all over my keyboard and i’m going to bed. Good news: I told Mrs Nescio to hold my beer and she hardly spilled any.

7. Fat Baxter
    Posted August 25, 2016 at 8:04 pm |

“… the CIA-linked project wants to … use artificial intelligence to analyse these pictures.

For heaven’s sake! Can’t they play “Where’s Waldo” like everyone else? Are they that hopeless?

8. DougM (quiet, keeps to himself, kind of a loner, nobody thought he’d do anything like this)
    Posted August 26, 2016 at 9:35 am |

^ *heh*
    Olde tyme photo interpreters will appreciate that.

9. DougM (quiet, keeps to himself, kind of a loner, nobody thought he’d do anything like this)
    Posted August 27, 2016 at 2:27 pm |

Nomen Nescio ^4 at the range.

(What? Yeah, sure, shootin’ steel at 100yds this mornin’ was fun; but nuthin’ blowed up. That would’a been wayyy funner.)