Who didn’t see this coming?

funny they didn’t mention that part earlier…

[aka: Proggies: Tryin' ta kill Freedom 24/7 ]

A federal appeals court [9th Circus Court of Schlemielz] upheld the federal ban on the sale of guns through federally licensed firearms dealers to individuals who hold medical marijuana cards

…“Registry cardholders are more likely to be marijuana users, and illegal drug users, including marijuana users, are more likely to be involved in violent crimes,” the 9th Circuit opinion reads. “Accordingly, preventing those individuals who firearm dealers know have registry cards from acquiring firearms furthers the Government’s interest in preventing gun violence.”

Stoners shootin up the place on a daily basis. Yepperz!

“With respect to marijuana registry cards, there may be some small population of individuals who — although obtaining a marijuana registry card for medicinal purposes — instead hold marijuana registry cards only for expressive purposes,” Senior District Judge Jed S. Rakoff [bet he hears no jokes with that name] wrote for the three-judge panel.

WTH does “expressive purposes” mean?
Is that a bureaucratism for “stoner”?

[Rakoff*cough* continues] “But it is eminently reasonable for federal regulators to assume that a registry cardholder is much more likely to be a marijuana user than an individual who does not hold a registry card.”

A firm grasp of the obvious is the cornerstone of sanity, I always say…

…The 9th Circuit agreed that such drug use “raises the risk of irrational or unpredictable behavior with which gun use should not be associated.”

So they oughtn’t be allowed to vote, either.

Federal law prohibits individuals from possession of firearms under a number of circumstances, including if they are convicted felons, fugitives from justice, residents of another country in the United States illegally, have been adjudicated mentally defective or been committed to a mental institution or are unlawful users of or are addicted to marijuana, depressants, stimulants or other narcotic drugs.

[in 2011] the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives issued a memo that advised federally licensed firearms dealers not to sell guns to individuals who have medical marijuana cards.

Thing is… the whole Medical Marijuana thing was sold so well — a Real Drug to Help People who were suffering — that normal people with health problems gave it a try. I have a coupla pals who did; one with diabetic nerve pain and another with a complex intestinal situation he does not discuss [he’s a veteran].

Both of them were having no luck with “traditional” treatments [spend yer life on oxycontin? No.] They tried the Medical Pot and found relief. One with the more traditional pot and one with the THC-removed tincture. Both got good results and are still working and living normally because of it. Now, they cannot buy a gun from a gun store? And they’re both so law-abiding it wouldn’t occur to them to buy any other way. That wouldn’t be legal, right?

So there ya have it.

Thanks George SorryAss! Well done.
Again.

1. staghounds
    Posted September 1, 2016 at 10:53 am |

The way to get a bad law changed is to enforce it.

2. Paladin
    Posted September 1, 2016 at 11:01 am |

One night Barney the Bear ambled down from the mountain to Bozeman, Montana to the Bear Paw Bar and Grill. He bellied up to the bar and called to the bartender, Bob, and bellowed, “Bartender Bob, bring me a beer.”

Bartender Bob came over and said, “I’m sorry Barney the Bear, but we don’t serve beers to bears at the Bear Paw Bar and Grill in Bozeman.”

Barney the Bear said, “Balderdash! Bring me a beer!”

“I’m sorry Barney the Bear, but we don’t serve beers to bears at the Bear Paw Bar and Grill in Bozeman. Rules are rules.”

“Listen, Bartender Bob, if you don’t bring me a beer I’m going to go over to that bar-maiden and devour her on the spot!”

“Well, do what you have to do, Barney the Bear, but we don’t serve beers to bears at the Bear Paw Bar and Grill in Bozeman.”

So Barney the Bear immediately went over to the bar-maiden and completely devoured her!

He came back and bellowed, “Well, Bartender Bob, how about that beer?”

Bartender Bob said, “I’m sorry Barney the Bear, but we don’t serve beers to drug addicts here at the Bear Paw Bar and Grill in Bozeman.”

“Drug addicts?” said a befuddled Barney.

“Why, sure. Didn’t you know that was a barbiturate?

3. DougM (quiet, keeps to himself, kind of a loner, nobody thought he’d do anything like this)
    Posted September 1, 2016 at 11:16 am |

Same problem with booze.
    You have to be 21 to buy booze and to buy a handgun.
    Adulthood hath its rights, privileges, and responsibilities.

That’s why the operative laws include terms like abuse and addiction and adjudication, not implied possible future criminality due to membership in some arbitrary, easily-identified-by-bureaucrats group.
    It’s a slippery slope from will probably be trouble to might be trouble to could probably someday be trouble. Heck, we all could be.

Buuut, that’s prob’ly their goal. Eliminate due process, and the 2ndA evaporates.

Far as I’m concerned, your rights cannot be taken away by anything less than judicial action. The gov’t must prove that you, as an individual, have acted in such a way that you must forfeit a right.

No unconstitutional ex post facto law/regulation crap like this, either.

4. Fawkes News (None Of The Above)
    Posted September 1, 2016 at 1:19 pm |

So they oughtn’t be allowed to vote, either.

You kidding? That would only leave the Dems with Illegal Immigrants and Dead People.

Posted September 1, 2016 at 4:28 pm |

Claire – love your small font comments. Their tone reminded me of Dilbert’s snarky last comments to his dumb boss.

Doug said The gov’t must prove that you, as an individual, have acted in such a way that you must forfeit a right.

Exactly. That’s why the TSA airport grope pisses me off so much, I won’t fly. I haven’t done anything, they’re not charging me with anything, I’m getting on a private, not government, owned vehicle, but they can strip me naked and ransack my belongings without cause.

Now if an airline wants to search me, that’s OK. I might not fly them, but it’s their airplane and their service. I can fly under their rules or look elsewhere. Free market ‘n all that.

The TSA crap is big step down that slippery slope.

6. Brad
    Posted September 1, 2016 at 5:12 pm |

One of the questions on the Form 4473 is “Are you an alien illegally in the United States?”
    I wonder, If an illegal here under ‘deferred action’ were to answer no to that, would the background check come back denied?

7. staghounds
    Posted September 2, 2016 at 5:10 am |

Also, “expressive”, because smoking marijuana is protected by the first amendment.

8. rickn8or
    Posted September 2, 2016 at 9:46 am |

Now you know why Bloomberg et al have such a hard-on for Universal Background Checks.