Taking it to its natural and logical conclusion

How else ya gonna do it?

Coming from NPR, a Lesson in Diveeeersity.

[Brazil] In 2014, the government introduced a quota system for federal jobs. The affirmative action regulations require that 20 percent of all government positions be filled by people of color — either black or mixed race.

They tell the story of a Brazilian man [Siqueira] who applied for a job at the “highly competitive Ministry of Foreign Affairs.”

…he was required to self-identify on his application.

[O]nce the announcement of the appointments was made public[, p]eople started investigating the background of who had gotten the slots. They got into Siqueira’s Instagram, his Facebook feed and they sent his personal photos to the government… ‘Oh, this dude is white, he’s a fraud,’

Yes. Random members of The Public called on the .gov to say he was lying about his racial background.

In response to the outcry, [the .gov] set up a kind of race committee to review his case, and a few others.

…they decided was that he was not pardo, or mixed race. No explanation. No discussion. So he decided to sue.

This despite the facts he offers, “In my dad’s family, my grandfather is black, my grandmother has Indian and white roots. And on my mother’s side they are mostly white, mostly Portuguese,”

hm…

…in order to “prove” that he was Afro-Brazilian, his lawyers needed to find some criteria. He went to seven dermatologists who used something called the Fitzpatrick scale that grades skin tone from one to seven, or whitest to darkest. The last doctor even had a special machine.

…”Apparently on my face I’m a Type 4. … On my limbs I would be Type 5…

Lucas Siqueira, … is still waiting for his case to be resolved

yes. Working for the .gov is a Great Idea!!! “precious government jobs”

these race tribunals were made mandatory for all government jobs. In one state, they even issued guidelines about how to measure lip size, hair texture and nose width,

Ringing any bells among those who remember History?

Here’s another bit of oft-forgotten History:

Brazil was the last place to give up slavery in the Americas, abolishing it in 1888. The country imported more enslaved Africans than any other — some 5 million.

But srsly, how else could it end? Demands that individuals be hired because of their race instead of because of their skills and talents can only lead to measuring their race instead of measuring their skills and talents.

Unfortunately, skills and talents can be improved through training and experience. Once race is determined by a State Race Tribunal it is immutable [unless bribery is involved]. Then one must wonder on what basis promotions will be awarded.

1. staghounds
    Posted October 16, 2016 at 8:53 am |

Do they have the

2. DougM (not as deplorable as one might think)
    Posted October 16, 2016 at 10:50 am |

I thought all the Nazi racialist Aryan-phrenology nut jobs went to Argentina.

Posted October 16, 2016 at 10:54 am |

Then one must wonder on what basis promotions will be awarded.
    If they’re going to go with their hiring metrics, then obviously, the widest nose or biggest lips gets promoted.
    I see a coming boom in the cosmetic surgery field in Brazil.

4. TheOldMan
    Posted October 16, 2016 at 11:43 am |

Hmm, perhaps the NFL, NBA, NHL should does this as well?

5. Lzzrd
    Posted October 16, 2016 at 1:37 pm |

I really don’t know why this guy is putting up with all these, “ethnic purity tests”. Just take a DNA test. It will even give you a break down on the percentages of what you are. BTW, these test are not that expensive.

I will use my family as an example. My cousin has dark blonde hair, blue eyes and looks like a walking glass of milk. The only thing that “gives her away” are her cheek bones and jaw line. Me on the on the ether hand, with light brown hair blue eyes and no facial “giveaways” had DNA testing done. Results? YDNA, (dad’s)=R-M269, Western Europe, MTDNA, (mom’s)=A2K1, Native American.

No, I do not look anything like a N.A. Go figure, Sen. Warren did you read this?……..

6. DougM (not as deplorable as one might think)
    Posted October 16, 2016 at 3:29 pm |

Posted October 16, 2016 at 4:03 pm |

Ca 1962 I saw Harry Belafonte at a concert where he offered this line: “I see all you white kids at the beach trying to brown down. I’ll meet you halfway and whiten up. You can call me yeller feller.”
    Times have changed.

Posted October 17, 2016 at 9:59 am |

Ever notice how closely “diversity” and “division” are related?

Creation of new boxes and labels for people never ends well.

How’s about focusing on the stuff that all we have in common and that can bring us together? (you know, content of character and all that stuff)

Posted October 17, 2016 at 11:32 am |

^ …how closely “diversity” and “division” are related?
    Mech, you’re so archaic and common sensical, I’d have you for President in a heartbeat.

Both words have the same Latin root: dividere – to spit apart, separate, etc
    Machiavelli had a maxim “divide et empera”, or “divide and rule”.
    Nothing new in this world.