Just Dayum Update

politically unpopular maintenance spending proves important
who knew?

OROVILLE —February 12, 2017 at 5:34 pm
An emergency evacuation has been ordered for Oroville-area residents by the state Department of Water Resources, which predicts that the auxilliary spillway [formerly known as the “Emergency Spillway”] at the Oroville Dam will fail within the next hour.

“At 4:19 p.m., dam operators reported a hazardous situation is developing with the Oroville Dam auxiliary spillway,” it states. “Operation of the auxiliary spillway has lead to severe erosion that could lead to a failure of the structure.”

It says that would result in an “uncontrolled release of flood waters” from the lake.

…“This is not a drill,” states the bulletin. “Repeat this is not a drill … Move to higher ground now. Act quickly to protect your life.”

…Affected areas include Oroville, Palermo, Gridley, Thermalito, South Oroville, Oroville Dam, Oroville East and Wyandotte.

You remember? The one they must [therefore will] have all fixed up by October? yeah. That one…

Fearing a gush from Lake Oroville if the emergency spillway collapses, officials are releasing as much as 100,000 cubic feet per second from the main, heavily damaged spillway in a frantic effort to drain the lake below where it spills out the emergency structure

…[Maury Roos, a CA Department of Water Resources hydrologist] said that below where the Feather River merges with the Yuba River, levees are rated for a capacity of around 300,000 cfs.

but wait… there’s moar:

[Kevin Dossey, an engineer and Department of Water Resources spokesman] said the emergency spillway was rated to handle 250,000 cubic feet per second, but it began to show weakness … at 12,600 cfs at 1 a.m. Sunday [which was] down to 8,000 cfs by midday.

That’s about 5% of “rating”.
[did I do my maths right?]

Hey — at least I asked if my maths are right. This is the same CA Department of Water Resources whose “experts” — as they demanded new regulations for rural septic systems — diagramed water flowing up-hill unaided.

I kid you not. $160-205K per year they “make” to tell us Kuntry Bumpkins that water flows up-hill all by itself.

I have complete faith in their estimations.

Perhaps — after the proverbial dust settles — just, perhaps there will be some push for re-consideration of the necessity for dams in Kleptofornia.

Not to mention the electricity they produce.

State Department of Water Resources told Butte County Sheriff Kony Honea shortly after 6 p.m. that “the erosion that caused all this concern was not advancing as rapidly as they thought.”

…There is a plan currently in place which would hopefully plug that hole, Honea said, including using helicopters dropping bags of rock into the crevasse to prevent any further erosion.

1. SondraK, Queen of SondraKistan
    Posted February 12, 2017 at 8:10 pm |

Oh Goody! Trump’s Katrina!

2. DougM (side-eyed so-and-so)
    Posted February 12, 2017 at 8:22 pm |

^ That’ll be next week when two big storm systems come through.

Hope there aren’t any KisPers too badly affected by this.
    If you are, hope your bail-out bag was ready.
    Which reminds me…

3. Another Bob
    Posted February 12, 2017 at 9:04 pm |

I wonder when folks are going to start asking what Jerry Brown did with all the money that was supposed to be used to maintain the damn dam.

4. Dave
    Posted February 12, 2017 at 9:18 pm |

Make The Delta Smelt Great Again!

Posted February 12, 2017 at 9:35 pm |

Claire, I don’t know how you can continue to live there. Every time I read one of your tales of sheer asshattery, malfeasance and fraud by the fools running your state, I have visions of their offices, with me and a hundred other guys on a baseball bat rampage.

This incident goes beyond corruption, beyond ignorance, and well into massive gross negligence.

6. SondraK, Queen of SondraKistan
    Posted February 12, 2017 at 9:47 pm |

That was awesome, Dave:)

In all seriousness, sorry for being so snarky. I truly hope everyone is going to be only mildly inconvenienced by the whole thing………

7. Claire: rebellious pink pig with car keys - and a *cause*
    Posted February 12, 2017 at 10:07 pm |

Well, Dick@5 — I live here in hopes of catching that wave and joining it.

Posted February 13, 2017 at 7:53 am |

Claire – “the wave”? The tidal wave? I hope you’re not downstream of the dam.
    Or were you referring to the wave of malcontents with baseball bats?
    I know you have a long-time happy place there; it’s such a damn shame you have to put up with the idiots who run the state.

9. Blake
    Posted February 13, 2017 at 8:19 am |

My wife and I live below a damn of questionable integrity. Isabella, to be exact. I informed my wife she is not to let her car get below half a tank from here on out. If we have to leave, I don’t want to have to get gasoline before we can bug out.

Unlike Oroville, Isaballa has had problems for years, yet, for some reason, funding has always been an issue.

10. Claire: rebellious pink pig with car keys - and a *cause*
    Posted February 13, 2017 at 9:02 am |

Thanks, Dick. Nope – we’re far away — waterflow speaking.

the wave of malcontents with baseball bats

I dream of it. I have a list, donchanoo. I plan to carry pitchfork and a riding crop in my boot.
    [NB to bureaucrats: this is satire]
    [so far as you know]

damn shame you have to put up with the idiots who run the state.

It’s irritating living like there’s always a sniper out there somewhere.
    But, of late, it’s surprising how many people are voicing opposition to the Proggie / bureaucrat ethos. Quite enJOYable!
    May it continue!

11. Claire: rebellious pink pig with car keys - and a *cause*
    Posted February 13, 2017 at 9:06 am |

Blake@9 — I’ve had the same rule for all of us — even [especially] the kids who live in urban areas — for years. Earthquake, whatever: Be Prepared!

Gas tank 3/4 full; Justin Case in the car with water and boots [in case one is caught wearing cute shoooooz] etc.

Funny how there is so much $$$,$$$,$$$,$$$ for the dang Bullshitte Train and none for WATER.

12. Posted February 13, 2017 at 5:27 pm |

What? You mean Jerry’s “bullet train” ain’t ready to roll?