ToDaZeD Alt-right vs. the Control-left

and — in the wings — there’s Delete

WTF is happening in DC? This is today’s lead story in the Wall St Journal:

U.S. intelligence officials have withheld sensitive intelligence from President Donald Trump because they are concerned it could be leaked or compromised, according to current and former officials familiar with the matter.

IOW, according to leakers.

The officials’ decision to keep information from Mr. Trump underscores the deep mistrust that has developed between the intelligence community and the president over his team’s contacts with the Russian government, as well as the enmity he has shown toward U.S. spy agencies.

I think that last is the crux of the thing: there’s a pissing Leaking Contest goin’ on.

So whyinhell would the WSJ publish this piece? Is it the button-down version of this little bomb-chuck?

Rep. Waters: ‘I’ve come to conclude that Trump has the Kremlin Clan surrounding him’
vid

Trump tweeted:

The Democrats had to come up with a story as to why they lost the election, and so badly (306), so they made up a story – RUSSIA. Fake news!

…The spotlight has finally been put on the low-life leakers! They will be caught!

…Leaking, and even illegal classified leaking, has been a big problem in Washington for years. Failing @nytimes (and others) must apologize!

…The real scandal here is that classified information is illegally given out by “intelligence” like candy. Very un-American!

Even the idea that the Secret Squirrel Squad is actively opposing the elected leadership is repugnant, dangerous and unacceptable. Floating the idea — just the idea — sews the kind of distrust in the .gov that brings down countries.

OTOH, ugly things happen when a long-term, deep infection is lanced. But it’s a stage that must be passed through on the journey to healing.

OTGH*, given the dedication to Lack Of Facts in favor of innuendo and Weaponized Empathy in the MSM and among the talking heads, added to the impossibility of full public investigation of the Secret Squirrel Squad, makes it almost an entirely emotion-based decision on who We The People even believe.

Now toss this into the mix:

Flynn’s ouster was a soft coup (or political assassination) engineered by anonymous intelligence community bureaucrats.

…Unelected intelligence analysts work for the president, not the other way around. Far too many Trump critics appear not to care that these intelligence agents leaked highly sensitive information to the press — mostly because Trump critics are pleased with the result….

[N]o matter what Flynn did, it is simply not the role of the deep state to target a man working in one of the political branches of the government by dishing to reporters about information it has gathered clandestinely…

I’ll steal second what Ace said [RTWT]:

As Daniel Webster said:

There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.

Those are hard men to fight.

*On The Gripping Hand

Via Ace / J.J. Sefton

During his first presidential campaign in 2008, Mr. Obama used a secret back channel to Tehran to assure the mullahs that he was a friend of the Islamic Republic, and that they would be very happy with his policies. The secret channel was Ambassador William G. Miller, who served in Iran during the shah’s rule, as chief of staff for the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, and as ambassador to Ukraine. Ambassador Miller has confirmed to me his conversations with Iranian leaders during the 2008 campaign.

*sigh*

1. Nomen Nescio
    Posted February 16, 2017 at 8:45 am |

From what I’ve read they’ve been withholding information on sources and methods, not the actual content. Honest question: do they normally, routinely share that information with the white house? Is this just reporting SOP in a way that sounds sinister?

2. Jess
    Posted February 16, 2017 at 9:40 am |

I think many in the intelligence community know who provides the leaks, can’t do much because of their high position, and the leakers are now only being allowed to stay, so their network can be dismantled.

3. staghounds
    Posted February 16, 2017 at 10:10 am |

“I’m afraid my doctor won’t give me the right treatment, so I will not tell him about some of my symptoms. That way he will treat me correctly.”

“I suspect my mechanic might cheat me. If I don’t tell him about the funny noise, he won’t charge me for an unnecessary repair.”

“My broker mistrusts me, so he only tells me a part of what he knows about my investments. That way I make better decisions about my money.”

4. DougM (easily entertained)
    Posted February 16, 2017 at 10:42 am |

^ Of course,
    but the actual answer is: if POSTUS asks, tell him.
    Tell him what’s classified and what the possible ramifications are,
    but tell him what he wants to know.
    POTUS is the ultimate classification authority.

The IC should have told him of the Flynn problem, too.
    If they did, and Trump didn’t fire him, that’s his call.
    Perhaps there was a reason.
    Perhaps the IC leaker wasn’t briefed on an anti-Sov Russian double/triple ploy Flynn was playing, and the leak ruined a year of work.

5. DougM (easily entertained)
    Posted February 16, 2017 at 10:43 am |

One assumes the IC told Obama everything he wanted to know, right?

6. DougM (easily entertained)
    Posted February 16, 2017 at 10:44 am |

Perhaps the leakers are the ones being blackmailed to betray their country.

7. DougM (easily entertained)
    Posted February 16, 2017 at 11:01 am |

Okay, I’m up to Chapter 5 in this spy-thriller novel.
    Right now, our hero (a suave, retired national-space-systems officer), his main squeeze (a leggy blonde ex-model with a PhD in astrophysics), and their dog (a Corgi named Asta) have been asked by the President, as a personal favor, to work on his old contacts to find the culprits before the bomb goes off (not sure how the bomb thing got in there; but, hey, it’s a spy thriller).

(What? Uh, dunno if my tux still fits. Good question.)

8. DougM (easily entertained)
    Posted February 16, 2017 at 12:27 pm |

And for those of us who’ve invested in popcorn futures:
    there’s this.

9. Nomen Nescio
    Posted February 16, 2017 at 12:40 pm |

7^, the NSSO: Mr. President, we’ve learned the bomb will be on a tramp steamer arriving at Port #43 at 10:00 PM.
    President: how do you know that?
    NSSO: the gal that serves the culprit coffee is our agent. *steals a furtive glance at the leggy blonde serving the President coffee *

10. Fawkes News (Moar Cowbell)
    Posted February 16, 2017 at 5:20 pm |

First, I will do something I seldom do: I applaud President Trump for recognizing that one of his trusted staff has been proven a liar.

He rightly said, “You’re fired.”

Second, I will do something I seldom do again: I applaud President Trump for insisting the source of the leaks that proved his staff member a liar be found and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

We are all Americans. At the point we start turning to Iranian Mullahs and/or Russian strongmen to intervene in internal political struggles, our nation is doomed.

11. Claire: rebellious pink pig with car keys - and a *cause*
    Posted February 16, 2017 at 10:02 pm |

DM@7 — I’d pay a buck to read that!
    [ps: tux doesn't matter if ya have a kilt.]

12. Claire: rebellious pink pig with car keys - and a *cause*