The rocket science is unsettling

~ story ~

~ imgage source ~

OPEN THREAD

(What? Well, mainly, I wanted to get my stupid post below off the top slot.)

Nah, that’s not a rocket engine.
This is a rocket engine.

~ vid ~

Posted March 19, 2017 at 11:28 am |

The path had better be downhill so that fat turd can be rolled to get there.

Posted March 19, 2017 at 11:32 am |

“…the whole world will soon witness what eventful significance the great victory won today carries…
    a terrible cruise missile accident at the test site.
    FIFY, Kimmie

3. DougM (recovering white male)
    Posted March 19, 2017 at 12:40 pm |

^ I have a dream:
    *click*bang* [time-of-flight delay] *thunk*boom*
    [scurries down to mini-sub waiting at the beach, writes screenplay]

4. Posted March 19, 2017 at 2:06 pm |

I don’t think we’ll need to worry about Fats much longer. DARPA has successfully tested nanobots (mosquito-sized) in a hangar in Massachusetts, and they can be easily weaponized with inhalables. He won’t know what hit him (sort of like his half-brother didn’t, although this is sneakier tech).

5. Lord of the Fleas
    Posted March 19, 2017 at 2:39 pm |

If’n ya ask me, they’re gonna need a whole lot bigger engine if they want to get that building off the ground ….

6. Blake
    Posted March 19, 2017 at 2:52 pm |

Read about the Muslim empire during the 1200′s or so. The royal male children that weren’t strangled at birth were isolated in harems with drugs and sexual playmates galore. To the point they became bloated and vacuous.

I see bloated and vacuous whenever I see the so-called leader of N. Korea.

7. DougM (recovering white male)
    Posted March 19, 2017 at 3:16 pm |

^ See also: Caligula, Nero, etc.

8. Fawkes News (Fun Lovin' Thought Criminal)
    Posted March 19, 2017 at 5:16 pm |

I’m sure our Orange God-King will force him to back down with a series of 4AM Tweeter Twits.

(Oh yes, I sincerely hope I’m wrong)

9. Nomen Nescio
    Posted March 19, 2017 at 5:33 pm |

Re. This Is A Real Rocket.
    Must’a been pointy end West. Days have felt a little longer lately.

10. Blake
    Posted March 19, 2017 at 6:02 pm |

@Doug, but, at least Caligula had the sense to make a horse part of the Senate. Though, it probably should have faced backwards. Truth in advertising.

As for Nero, hey, I understand he played mean fiddle. Music appreciation is one of the arts.

They both may have been crazy and completely amoral, but at least Nero and Caligula had something going for them.

11. Blake
    Posted March 19, 2017 at 6:08 pm |

Okay, that engine test was cool. Though, I wonder how many EPA forms had to be filled out, in triplicate.

12. Daemon
    Posted March 19, 2017 at 6:30 pm |

Open thread? Today you get Skippy’s list.

My current favorite is #170.

13. DougM (recovering white male)
    Posted March 19, 2017 at 6:48 pm |

^ *heh*
    Somebody needs a couple’a weeks R&R
    or a promotion to 2ndLt as punishment.

Nomen ^9
    Yeah, that’s how they adjust for rotational slowing, wobble/precession growth, and leap seconds.
    Also screwed-up a putt I was making at the time.

14. DougM (recovering white male)
    Posted March 19, 2017 at 7:37 pm |

Okay, for the squeamish out there,
    here’s the Nerf John Wick trailer.

15. drew458
    Posted March 19, 2017 at 7:51 pm |

Daemon – #204 FTW!!!

16. Posted March 20, 2017 at 5:11 pm |

In the 1960s, while testing the engines for the Saturn V rocket at Redstone Arsenal outside of Huntsville, Alabama it was reported from the Birmingham National Weather office that there was an earthquake originating out of Huntsville. Of course, it wasn’t an earthquake, it was the Saturn V engine.