cover story

~ story ~

No, it’s not important, just funny optics.
There are lots of examples of presidents holding umbrellas (even Obama) and of presidents having umbrellas held for them.
This here’s whatchacall a fake-news take, but it would be real news to CNNetc, if it were the other way around.
Somebody give that Marine a cigar for maintaining flawless attention during all this.

(What? Well, military folks will get the title pun.)

Wellp, I’ve seen this joke graphic a couple-dozen times, now, so I apologize for bein’ so ordinawwy.

1. Lord of the Fleas
    Posted July 10, 2017 at 11:50 am |

Actually, Doug, up here we don’t use that term, so (ex-military or not) I wouldn’t have got the pun if it hadn’t been for one episode of NCIS about half-a-dozen years ago.

Good one, though …

2. Lord of the Fleas
    Posted July 10, 2017 at 11:53 am |

BTW, there had been talk (back during Obozo’s reign) of changing the design of the Marines’ flat-hat into some gawd-awful faggy European looking thing.

Guess that musta been kinda forgotten about in the meantime. I sure hope so.

3. OldFert
    Posted July 10, 2017 at 1:38 pm |

@LOTF The Army already has the silly berets-for-everyone thing going. Adding the EU-flag-looking flash didn’t help.

And they really screwed up when they got rid of greens and khakis and went with blues as class A and B (if they still call them that).

I’m so glad I’m retired.

4. DougM (flawed chap)
    Posted July 10, 2017 at 1:54 pm |

^ ‘Member Nixon’s palace-guard uniforms?

Actually, I like the dress blues.
    It evokes the old cavalry uniform.
    Yeah, berets should be a SF thing only.

Can’t wait to see what the new Space Force (Corps) uniforms will look like.
    (Prob’ly be something Flashy and really, really gay.)
    Remember when the AF tried dress whites?
    [goes into defensive-wince mode]

5. Lord of the Fleas
    Posted July 10, 2017 at 2:10 pm |

Can’t wait to see what the new Space Force (Corps) uniforms will look like.

With all the Star Trek versions to choose from? Not to mention B5. And BSG (the original, of course).

The possibilities are endless… (and probably even more ridiculous).

6. Dave
    Posted July 10, 2017 at 8:37 pm |

Reason 0007 to like Donald Trump.

7. Claire: rebellious pink pig with car keys - and a *cause*
    Posted July 11, 2017 at 5:37 am |

I got it!
    [collecting random facts is my hobby -- hey. it's better'n Hummels...]

I really enJOYed that moment. It was one of those spontaneous demonstrations of character that can’t be staged [I'm lookin' at your H! with your Labor Day announcement of "She's gonna be more spontaneous and funny starting Monday"]

so…. demonstrating my shallowness of knowledge, I gots a question: was there any way, as CinC, Trump could have given that man leave to re-settle his own hat?

just a random question…

8. Jack
    Posted July 11, 2017 at 8:55 am |

I’m partial to dress blues also, being former Navy :)

Jack

Posted July 12, 2017 at 2:43 pm |

Yikes! I guess i was not paying much attention at the time to note the Nixon uniforms. (Was reading the encyclopedias and hanging around with GI Joe and Major Matt Mason in between moon missions)

Methinks the Marine will use stronger magnets next time or velcro. The only thing wrong was Trump not completing the salute before boarding the chopper.

Posted July 12, 2017 at 3:03 pm |

Just saw the Marine with the umbrella again and noticed his other hand.
    I want to give him an Alka Seltzer for that gastric discomfort of being in such company.