riff on a theme

(What? Yeah, the foot of the statue does remind me of the pea-green-paint pun; and, yeah, I knowww my avatar is from For a Few Dollars More, not The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. Just humor me, m’kay?)

Well, well, well…

1. Posted August 15, 2017 at 1:18 pm |

So if your avatar is Col Mortimer, why do you use Angel Eyes in your comic strip?

Is it because, while you might identify as Col Mortimer, you’re really Angel Eyes?

2. DougM (flawed chap)
    Posted August 15, 2017 at 2:34 pm |

^ No, not Angel Eyes. He gets shot.
    The avatar and the central strip panel guy is Col Douglas Mortimer from A Few Dollars More.

As for the strip:
    • Blondie (Clint Eastwood) makes a regular observation about an event.
    • Mortimer (Lee Van Cleef, also played Angel Eyes in GoodBadUgly) is the mature, self-confident straight-man who makes a sage or clarifying comment.
    • Tuco (Eli Wallach) delivers the punch line.
    I chose those pics for their ability to convey those attitudes.
    Interesting that it includes all three movies, eh?

The avatar? Colonel* Douglas Mortimer, “the best shot in the Carolinas,” smokes a pipe.
    I’m retired LtColonel Douglas M_____, a fair shot in NC, and smoke a pipe.
    Light-colonel has the same honorific, “colonel,” so…

(What? Well, my imaginary friend, since I do the entire strip, reckon that makes me identify with all three completely different personalities. Sure, some may call that schitzo, but I call it flexible.)

3. Posted August 15, 2017 at 2:40 pm |

My buddy always asks, “What would Tuco do?” when in an ethical dilemma. It seems to work out for him.

I prefer Blondie.
    He doesn’t get tortured or killed and he ends up with more than a fistful of dollars.
    Never liked Angel Eyes but I did like Col Mortimer, I love his deluxe pistol, too bad it’s a felony in America these days.

4. DougM (flawed chap)
    Posted August 15, 2017 at 3:13 pm |

Tuco: “When you have to shoot, shoot, don’t talk.”
    Angel Eyes was a downright cad.
    Nope, no role models there.

Mortimer was avenging the his sister. The photo in both Mortimer’s and Indio’s watches is Mortimer’s sister. Indio shot her husband and raped her. She then committed suicide.

Eastwood played three guys who kilt only folks that needed killin’, a minimum of Western-hero honor, I reckon.

5. Posted August 15, 2017 at 5:49 pm |

That is one ugly thing standing on the fallen Confederate soldier. I guess it thinks it will be one of the ruling class after the revolution, man. It has no idea …

6. Joe Bandmember ® "≠ damn right I'm not equal to that" ™
    Posted August 15, 2017 at 8:21 pm |

They actually do pee on that statue, even in Seattle.

Posted August 15, 2017 at 9:03 pm |

The millennial Prog disease is everywhere.
    I went to a wedding Saturday in Northern Virginia, about 5 miles from DC. I should have been expecting this, being it was in Northern Virginia (DC South) and held in a Unitarian “Church”, but I was still shocked to see a neatly printed sign on the restrooms saying “Please use either restroom that suits your gender identity”.

Unfortunately, I wasn’t driving or I’d have left right then and there. The upside was having lots of laughs looking at the freaks with their lizard arms, tackle box faces, fat women with just a string tying their tunic together in the back to show off their completely lizard tattooed backs, guys with Fat Kim haircuts and rose sunglasses (indoors), guys wearing the latest skinny suits with coattails that reach only halfway down their butts, nutty I’m-so-intelligent perfessor types complete with ponytails, tweed jacket with elbow patches and an otherwise bald head, a few guys with hair buns and beards that were a foot long and stood out so far from their chests, I thought they were starched, and the whole gamut in shoes from combat boots to Birkenstocks to Crocs to sandals to shoes with 2″ thick soles and 6″ heels. I haven’t seen that many weirdos since a county fair side show I saw when I was in basic in 1964.

Might have to relabel that area as San Fran East, or maybe Mexico North. I didn’t recognize the area around Ft. Belvoir. All the commercial signs in Spanish, 6 lane roads that were 2 and 4 lane roads just 20 years ago, and high rise anthills everywhere.
    They’re out there folks; they live among us and vote, and like locusts, go where the nice places (easy money) are.

I’m pleased to report the bride and groom wore classic clothes suitable for the occasion; she was lovely.

8. DougM (flawed chap)
    Posted August 15, 2017 at 10:09 pm |

Joe ^^
    Yeah, the guy who kindly took that photo for me was a local self-professed commie.
    I told him that, as an old Cold Warrior, I wanted to drape Old Glory over Lenin’s head (a la Saddam); but I couldn’t climb it.
    I also said that, nooo, I wasn’t gonna deface private property; and I certainly wasn’t gonna actually pee in public.
    (Now, if it had been Lenin’s graaave…)
    He told me that people pee on it and deface it all the time and that it’s kind of a local joke.
    Passers-by got a routine chuckle out of it, I reckon.

9. Steve
    Posted August 16, 2017 at 4:07 am |

DEM candidate for Georgia governor proposes to remove the carving from Stone Mountain, since it is a symbol of oppression.

I am sure she intends to hire it done, using even moar tax $$$.

My statement to her is, “Here’s your 28 ounce Vaughan framing hammer, a chisel, and some rope to hold you up there. Don’t get hurt. YOU DO IT!!”

Seems every lefty wants something done, but when it comes to “hands-on” they only want to throw bricks and bottles.

And, Doug, I admire your imaginary friends-
    my favorite said, “How’s it work on stains”? (J Wales)

10. TN Volunteer
    Posted August 16, 2017 at 6:30 am |

…WE ARE TURNING INTO A COUNTRY OF THE UGLY AND
    STUPID!

11. Blue Max
    Posted August 16, 2017 at 7:43 am |

Since We’re Tearing Down Offensive Statues, Here Are Locations of Three Lenin Statues in America

12. DougM (flawed chap)
    Posted August 16, 2017 at 9:16 am |

Blue Max^
    Yeah, the irony of Lenin’s image bein’ un-commie private property.

Has anyone made a series of urinals with this theme?
    There’s a business idea that’ll cost you only a urinal.

Steve ^9
    But I mean, who wears a white suit away from his plantation?

13. rickn8or
    Posted August 16, 2017 at 9:34 am |

Joe Bandmember, DougM, I was going to say that it didn’t look like that was the first time that statue had been christened. Gives me hope even for Seattle.