a legacy comes to rest

As most of us know, my dear friend Colonel Jerry left us two years ago this past August. It’s been a daunting two years for me working to settle his affairs. Some of it was quite complicated, most of it quite emotional and so far the majority of the tasks were mostly mundane legalities and paperwork. I had some help with the funeral arrangements and such and I am so grateful…the event was fitting a man of his prestige and rank and being the proudest Marine, he would be pleased.

A few months ago we were able to get to the very important task of meticulously going through the few boxes of remaining personal items: his medals, citations, yearbooks, photographs, videos, flight log books and collection of memorabilia that defined him and his career. Knowing that these items would end up sitting in boxes in my attic until the time when someone will have to do the same for me and having no idea what to do with such things I set about contacting military museums and such to see if there would be interest in preserving this legacy. I was put in contact with the curator of The Flying Leatherneck Aviation Museum at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar in SanDiego. I am beyond thrilled to tell you that they decided to accept pretty much all of his items. I couldn’t have found a better more suitable location for these things to rest. This was where Colonel Jerry spent much of his career and while establishing proper contacts, I actually spoke with a few people who knew him or of him. It’s perfect.

I am writing this post to ask for some help with the costs of boxing up and mailing these items to them…it’s likely to overwhelm me financially at the moment. While I have no way to calculate the costs until everything has been processed, I will assure you that any leftover funds will be donated to the museum.
Colonel Jerry’s birthday is at the end of this month and this would be an amazing way to celebrate it and put things finally to rest.

My PayPal DONATE button is over there on the right. It’s a little dusty so I’ll assume any contributions for the next week or so will be for this endeavor…

If you are not comfortable with PayPal and would rather send a check, email me for a snail mail address.

1. jlw
    Posted September 20, 2017 at 9:23 am |

those are the kinds of costs that should be covered by the estate, the same as legal fees and burial fees. if you have already dispersed all liquid assets there may not be anything you can do, but if you haven’t, those are legitimate estate costs. at least that is how the estates i have been involved with dealt with them.

2. SondraK, Queen of SondraKistan
    Posted September 20, 2017 at 9:54 am |

^ Unfortunately, the “estate” was in monumental debt and liquid assets have been long completely drained, hence much of the daunting complications:(

3. DougM and his raccoon platoon
    Posted September 20, 2017 at 11:01 am |

C’mon, folks, Missy’s worked her butt off to make sure ColJ’s affairs were taken care of for no legacy. I helped cover some costs at the time and donated some more today. Least we can do is share the financial burden. Both of ‘em deserve it.

4. Claire: rebellious pink pig with car keys - and a *cause*
    Posted September 20, 2017 at 12:03 pm |

I sure miss Ol’ Col Jerry’s contributions…

SK, you sure have stepped up to a monumental task; Well Done!
    While Col Jerry was knowledgable, educated, insightful, fearless, skilled, accomplished, cute, flirty and funny as hell, estate planning was not in his skill set.

I’m in.

5. Nomen Nescio
    Posted September 20, 2017 at 2:02 pm |

I’m in. Yada, yada, to satisfy the comment word counter

Posted September 20, 2017 at 6:35 pm |

My little voice said Headmissie was doing this.

Now all yew maggots hear this!
    Dig deep, look in the couch cushions, check under your car seats, or Col. Jerry’s ghost is gonna strafe ya!
    Well done Sondra.

7. Paladin
    Posted September 21, 2017 at 7:07 am |

You are an absolute sweetheart! My son’s impending wedding has nickeled and dimed me to death, but I can help out when I get paid tomorrow.

I’m sure those of us who have been on the porch for awhile can help out…

8. rickn8or
    Posted September 21, 2017 at 8:26 am |

“I couldn’t have found a better more suitable location for these things to rest.”

Why, that’s all you had to say HeadMissy.

9. Posted September 21, 2017 at 9:17 am |

The Paypal thing says it’s expired. I will try your email.

10. DougM and his raccoon platoon
    Posted September 21, 2017 at 9:32 am |

^ Try the yellow “Donate” button on the right.