ToDaZeD *headslap*

#ThinkItThrough

#HashtagActivism has morphed into #BodyPositionActivism.
…aka; #PublicStuntActivism.

Howinhell does that activity create a solution to the stated problem? Nuttin’. Zip. Zero. Nada. What I see is #Activism / #Awareness. Which translates to #LookieVirtuousMe!! …and now, #*I*TalkBackToTrump.

In the parlance; #GoodForYou or #GFY

IF there actually is a problem with police brutality, we are all in deep trouble. A free society cannot allow, or survive, an out of control Law enforcement. Police operating outside the Rule of Law are merely a gang of thugs with fancy outfits, and deserve the full wrath of The Law and The People. And all decent, dedicated LEOs.

But this is not what those on their knees taking a knee believe; they think there are actually police out there shooting innocent black guys standing quietly with their hands up. They give no credence — no recognition — to the investigators and the Courts who discovered the “innocent black guy” had just strong-arm robbed a neighborhood store and was attempting to grab the police officer’s gun.

Perception of the world is a powerful thing. If someone thinks that there is a piano suspended by a string over their head about to drop on them at any moment, they will behave in a particular way. The rest of us would ask them to step into a nice rubber truck, and call it a one-off …poor guy.

If a whole segment of society believes something as far from reality as the idea that all police are out to get them, simply because of their race, the Justice System — flawed as it may be — has no chance of working at all.

Where does that leave the rest of us? Where does that leave our Civilization?

Lemme dismiss a coupla shibboleths, here.

This is not about the First Amendment: Congress has made no Law abridging Freedom of Speech. End of discussion. Any other blowback one may experience from exercising their Free Speech is simply more natural and logical Free Speech. If you can’t handle the heat of differing opinions, Snowflake, don’t bring it up in the first place.

Also, I’m sure that the increasing participation in this behavior in the NFL has nothing whatsoever to do with the specter of an offensive line of pissed off behemoths expressing their displeasure with nonparticipants. Nothing. Whatsoever.

The success of the original Vision and Values of this country has, over generations, raised the expectations of the People so high — and so weakened their perceptions of the Reality of the rest of the world and the Historical condition of Man — that any little flaw seems reason to throw the whole thing out. That is, if Reason were an acceptable argument. Alas, Reason and facts are no longer the acceptable road to a conclusion, having been replaced by feelings. “Don’t bring facts to a feel fight.*

Our grandfathers were painfully aware that Freedom required constant work — work overseas and work in the halls of local government. It also required an #Awareness of the Historic context of the Ideas this country is based on. I’m not sure that is a widely discussed topic in the ‘hood or the NFL.

Maybe that’s what we could use; a public discussion of the Values this nation was founded upon, a public discussion of the ideas in the Federalist Papers and their application to current issues, a public discussion of the History of Venezuela and it’s current issues.
TL:DR? oh…

Yet, if there are any perceived flaws — and flaws there are aplenty [since we're Human, the country is a work in progress demanding the informed participation of all to hold on to our Values and make sure they are put into practice ] — some, in their ignorance, will call for throwing the baby out with the bathwater. #SAD

Is that not the point of standing for the anthem: the way we remind ourselves, and stand together with others in re-dedicating ourselves to the work of keeping our Freedom. We take that moment to remind ourselves of the Values that The Flag symbolizes and to remind ourselves not only of the sacrifices of others but that we must continue to do the work to maintain those Values and put them into practice. And we do it with others so we don’t feel so alone in the face of such difficult work. And because when we leave it to others, things don’t go so well for the rest of us.

When we see others taking [literal] positions of refusal to participate in that work, it is disheartening. Kneeling is a two minute rest: it is not an effort of any kind to do anything useful about anything whatsoever.

It is an empty gesture aimed at self-aggrandizement that adds nothing of any Value. Instead it serves to divide the very people who once shared enough common ground that they could have been called together to begin a solution.

1. DougM and his raccoon platoon
    Posted September 28, 2017 at 1:24 pm |

The flag and the anthem are fundamental symbols of “inclusion.”

Posted September 28, 2017 at 2:11 pm |

Claire – Brava!
    You hit on the heart of the problem; having seized control of our schools, the Progs ensure the Founding principles and facts are given short shrift – not taught or else distorted if taught at all.

Yesterday, I engaged a young black man in conversation. He, just out of high school and starting college, wanted to know if I had a bucket list. I told him I managed most of my items, but regret never having seen a redwood or sequoia.
    He replied “What’s that?” He didn’t even know they were trees, never mind their claim to fame.
    Not quite the same as exposure to Founding ideas, but sad anecdotal testimony to the atrocious job public school systems do and the dismal state of knowledge they impart.

3. staghounds
    Posted September 28, 2017 at 2:35 pm |

Whenever anyone I’m not attracted to asks about my sexual preference, my response is always “I’m sorry, I’m just not attracted to you”.

If I am attracted, “Is that an offer?”

I thought the whole point of all this obsession with sexuality was so that we could go around without it being used against us.

4. Dan Patterson
    Posted September 28, 2017 at 2:54 pm |

Thought GFY was short for
    Go Fuck Yourself.
    Huh…

5. Dave
    Posted September 28, 2017 at 3:51 pm |

“I told him I managed most of my items, but regret never having seen a redwood or sequoia.”
    Having lived in California and seeing them a half a dozen or so times since I was a kid, I never thought about them that way. And yes, they are impressive.

6. drew458
    Posted September 28, 2017 at 8:38 pm |

I wonder how many people have actually read the Federalist Papers, and then thought about them. I’ve done it a couple times; it isn’t quick easy light reading. So that TL:DR is a real double bear trap here. First you have to convince people that it’s worth it, and then you have to get them to think about what they’ve read. And of course, they have to be at least passingly familiar with the Constitution to begin with. And some unvarnished history. Too many of them will look at it like Obama does, as a flawed document (his actual words). And I’d bet that nearly every one of these football kneelers is in the “3/5 crowd”, my term for those who have this attitude that that little part is offensive … sadly, that’s the bunch who need to learn the most, but you’ll never get them to partake. Not with an open mind.

7. Posted September 28, 2017 at 9:45 pm |

I have several blogs. Two of them much of my published work in journalism. A few others, too. The above link to old news story I did for a Berkeley newspaper which might be fun to read. It does not target the points made above about American history. It was just my work that day for a Berkeley newspaper. Feel free to read for cheer if you like.

8. Posted September 28, 2017 at 9:46 pm |

I did make comment. Where is it?

9. DougM and his raccoon platoon
    Posted September 28, 2017 at 9:53 pm |

^ The link tied to your name says the page doesn’t exist.