stuff that’s hard to do (and believe, evidently)

So simple, even a Canadian can explain it

~ vid ~

Proof? You want prooof?
Here’s the ISS transiting the Sun during the eclipse (not done in a Disney studio).

Also, I can assure you that I’ve personally seen a number of low-Earth-orbit satellites I launch-crewed on fly overhead in the night sky exactly as predicted by ephemeris calculations, and I’ve personally seen product exhibiting perspectives that could only have been produced from above the atmosphere and returned to Earth by firing a retro rocket in space to get it out of orbit (this was back in the ’70s-’80s). Some math required.
QED
Also, the Earth is round.

(What? Well, everybody I know in CA is personally safe from the fires, so you still get slow rainy Monday frivolousness.)
____________
Yes, you should subscribe to Electro-Boom. His self-induced shocks and pain make one feel less clumsy.
Also, your Jr-High+ kids might want to follow Smarter Every Day.

On the other hand, here’s something that I find hard to believe.

(What? Yeah, that‘s a tad hard to believe. She’s gonna need Nerf™ stairs, too.)

1. Posted October 16, 2017 at 1:34 pm |

If you have to explain that we have put stuff, and people, into space you’re wasting your time.

Buzz Aldrin had it right.

2. Fat Baxter
    Posted October 16, 2017 at 7:20 pm |

I remember watching the Echo satellite transit the night sky back in the ’60s, back when the air was clearer, and you could see millions of stars.

Not so today, with the air full of particulates and aerosols that blot out all but the brightest stars.

3. geezerettesbrother
    Posted October 17, 2017 at 4:52 am |

The earth is not round.
    It is a oblate spheroid.

4. Jess
    Posted October 17, 2017 at 5:49 am |

I watched a Chinese satellite burn up in the atmosphere years ago. It started at the horizon, must of bounced off the atmosphere, and when it was almost overhead, started disintegrating; a jumbled area of debris burning up at different speeds and direction.

It was quiet, so after a really long period of time, I heard faint booms, which I think were the sound of debris breaking the sound barrier.

Posted October 17, 2017 at 10:38 am |

If everybody you know in CA is safe from the fires, why haven’t we heard from Claire?

Unless she’s out helping folks in the area. . .

But it would be good to hear a hello from her to know she’s safe.

6. DougM and his raccoon platoon
    Posted October 17, 2017 at 10:40 am |

^ Sondra’s in contact with ‘er.

7. Posted October 17, 2017 at 4:00 pm |

I remember watching Sputnik orbit past – just stepped outside the front door of my parents’ house, and there it was.