today in “What could go wrong?”

We don’t want Facebook to be a place where people fear their intimate images will be shared without their consent. … Even though this is a small pilot, we want to be clear about how it works. … Facebook launched a limited pilot in Australia that will help prevent non-consensual intimate images from being posted and shared anywhere on Facebook, Messenger and Instagram.

To establish which image is of concern, people will be asked to send the image to themselves on Messenger.

Once we receive this notification, a specially trained representative from our Community Operations team reviews and hashes the image, which creates a human-unreadable, numerical fingerprint of it.
We store the photo hash—not the photo—to prevent someone from uploading the photo in the future. If someone tries to upload the image to our platform, like all photos on Facebook, it is run through a database of these hashes and if it matches we do not allow it to be posted or shared. [story]

Representative special training sessions are fully booked, sorry.
Management will personally assure that the “specially trained representatives” are doing their jobs properly.
Management training sessions are fully booked, sorry.
De-hashing software will available at the gift shop on your way out. Photo ID required.
Stay tuned for Facebook’s new People-We-Saved-from-Humiliation page, only $29.95/mo. (also available on DVD)

_________
Cultural ref: Full frontal nudity? Yes I’d do it, if it was valid. Or if the money was valid, and if it were a small part.
Note: Yes, the Joey/Australia link was totally serendipitous. Too bad, I would have loved to have taken credit for that.

1. jlw
    Posted November 11, 2017 at 5:01 pm |

these are the same people who used to do cyber security for Equifax, right?

2. WeeBrowser
    Posted November 11, 2017 at 8:04 pm |

I do full frontal nudity everyday and only for its artistic value, mind you, but it gets ruined by all the finger pointing and laughter.

Posted November 11, 2017 at 8:30 pm |

^^these are the same people who used to do cyber security for Equifax, right?

Yeah, and Hillary’s email server.

4. DougM and his raccoon platoon
    Posted November 11, 2017 at 9:49 pm |

^ …and the congressional democrats’ IT guys.

5. MikeAZ
    Posted November 12, 2017 at 5:49 am |

Everything I know about computer security could be put in a teabag. However, it seems to me if you don’t want a pic posted don’t send it to ANYONE, whatever they might promise. Who has control of this “hash?” Show me any security program that hasn’t been or won’t be (eventually) hacked? And who’s to say that Facebook won’t someday take exception to you for what you post or your politics or whatever (we’ve seen examples of their “neutrality” over the years,) and de-hash your photos for the world to see?

Privacy, like secrets, is best kept when least shared.

6. Lord of the Fleas
    Posted November 12, 2017 at 6:22 am |

(I see what they – and you – did there…)

7. Daemon
    Posted November 12, 2017 at 12:48 pm |

And some people say the internet is just one big honeypot.

8. SondraK, Queen of SondraKistan
    Posted November 12, 2017 at 3:14 pm |

“I’m gonna send in a picture of my ass hole”
    —some JArgh

9. Posted November 12, 2017 at 7:03 pm |

Like topless protests and the people in ‘Police arrest nekkid person’ stories, they’ll see a whole lot of pictures of people who should keep their their clothes on.
    If I had any skills, I’d pshop Helen Thomas’ head on my body and send it in.

10. DougM and his raccoon platoon
    Posted November 13, 2017 at 9:05 am |

^ Hadn’t occurred to me, but the pervs are gonna love having a place to send their pics legally.
    Anthony Weiner was just ahead of his time.