smoke poles

Reckon it depends on who’s smokin’ what
The new boogieman: suppressed muzzle-loaders

~ story ~

Wait, I thought the Second Amendment was meant to protect ancient firearm technologies.

archives

Evidently, now the issue is how quiet the weapon is, since you might be able to kill a person at a distance and escape undetected without an ATF tax stamp.

M’kay, let’s see what other ancient technologies might allow one to kill quietly at a distance

Yeah, it’s just part of a disingenuous attempt to stifle congressional action — the Hearing Protection Act — on making a sound suppressor as easy to buy as the gun it’s attached to, rather than as hard to buy as a machine gun.
I have a few suppressors; and, take it from me, they make range time a lot less flinchy and après-range time a lot less ear-ringy for everybody. (see: motor-vehicle muffler)

This looks like the thing. Drew458

Okay, new rule, everybody: “suppressor” sounds scawy and tactical, so from now on, they’re “gun mufflers” which are intended to protect children’s, women’s, and minorities’ hearing health, reduce environmental noise pollution, reduce stress on wildlife, and reduce male toxic testosterone levels. All new guns should come with mufflers as standard equipment, and new unmuffled guns should require a $200 tax stamp waiver from the ATF. In schools, thread-protectors should be demonstrated and handed out along with the condoms.

Also: if I can legally build an actual working deadly firearm receiver from an 80% kit or from scratch for my own use without the ATF’s blessing (and I have), why can’t I also build a nice, safe muffler without the ATF’s blessing?
See: oil-filter thread adapter which is a legal solvent trap until you shoot a hole in the end, whereupon it becomes an illegal suppressor, unless you have an ATF tax stamp for the adapter. (Yeah, I know, right?)

1. JimB
    Posted November 17, 2017 at 1:31 pm |

Reality is irrelevant to these people. Everyone knows that suppressors make firearms extra deadly and impossible to detect. Just watch any movie or TV show.
    Suppressed Muzzle loaders what a concept…

2. DougM and his raccoon platoon
    Posted November 17, 2017 at 2:31 pm |

I assume the suppressed muzzle-loader thing he referred to was a new hunting rifle design, which would actually make a lot of sense.

Posted November 17, 2017 at 5:03 pm |

You might be able to kill a person at a distance and escape undetected… with one of these single shot, unsuppressed guns.

4. Kevin Dickson
    Posted November 18, 2017 at 7:06 am |

If Americans can only have a muzzle loader….because that was what was available when our founding documents were written……then women should only be allowed to get an abortion using a piece of wire and a paint scraper.

5. Drew458
    Posted November 18, 2017 at 7:12 am |

I think suppressed muzzle loaders have been around for a year or two now.

But the best part is, the ATF does not consider them a firearm, therefore the integral suppressor is not a “device”, therefore no gun laws apply to it. Sweet. And that gives the libbies fits, I’m sure.

Sadly, you have to use $$Special Bullets, which are kind of modern Mini ball design.

6. rickn8or
    Posted November 18, 2017 at 10:34 am |

Loading that suppressed muzzle loader must be… interesting. And how do you clean the suppressor?

I’m going to differ a little with you DougM; I think buying a suppressor should be as easy as buying a holster.

I think most of the PSH involved here is over the fact that it’s a .50 cal. muzzle loader. You know, exactly like a .50BMG Barrett sniper rifle…

7. DougM and his raccoon platoon
    Posted November 18, 2017 at 11:18 am |

^ Yeah, the cleaning thing is a head-scratcher.
    Some of it must disassemble.

As easy as buying a holster?
    Ideally, yeah, like almost all gun-mod/upgrade/repair parts except the serialized receiver/frame. Heck, I have more AR uppers than serialized lowers, and none of ‘em required documentation.
    I mean, the buyer of a muffler must already have the loud, dangerous, bangy part.

8. Drew458
    Posted November 18, 2017 at 1:42 pm |

I think “gun mufflers” is a perfect name, given that they were invented by Hiram Maxim, the same guy who invented the automobile muffler. And the curling iron. And the machine gun.

And thanks for the gold star. Wish I could hang it on the fridge to show my mom, but those days are looooooong gone! :-)

9. Posted November 18, 2017 at 2:51 pm |

Gun laws are meant to jerk me around, not accomplish anything else.