It’s a Moral Panic

knock it off

Granted, I have not been paying much attention to things outside my little realm of late. Now with the Xmas rush, I have had random moments to hear stuff in passing.

Every time I hear about this #MeToo thing, I get mad. …and creeped out.

I’m not mad at the men – I’m mad at the women. Because they are saying they cannot handle something that I, my pals of a contemporary age, my mother and her pals, my grandmother and her pals — on thru the mists of History – have faced.

NB I am not talking about physical assault/rapine, here: that is a crime and ought to face the full weight of The Law and Due Process. Or a little pocket pistol. whatever. I’m talking about the greyer areas; those mis-step moments in Life and the occasional icky perv everyone runs across from time to time.

I am being told that women [which I presume includes me] cannot handle a comment, a dirty joke, what used to be called “an advance.” That they [we?] immediately become emotional basket cases in desperate need of rescuing by…. I’m not sure. Other women? Other men?

uh… No.

Much ‘fun’ was made of Pence and his clear boundaries: my mother advised me to use the same clear boundaries. If those had not been destroyed as Social Norms, most of the incidents involving hotel rooms and closed offices would not have been an issue. Add in some humor, some moxie, and the old-fashioned *slap!*, most of these situations could have been resolved without these poor women being forced to carry around their burdens of “fear” and “freezing” and Trauma!!!™ — in some instances for over 20 years! — awaiting just the right time to address them.

If one seeks to be an equal, one must act like an equal.

Fainting at lewd jokes, panicking at a wandering hand, being traumatized by a perv are not the actions of an equal. They are the choices of Thought and Feelz™ that arise from the Victimhood Kulture.

Claire Berlinski wrote it much better than I — though she kinda goes off the rails in the last paragraphs — then had immense trouble finding someone who wasn’t too “frozen with fear” to publish it.

I recommend you RTWT.
Some teasers:

The insistence that an unwanted kiss is always about power, not courtship, simply isn’t a serious theory of the case—not when the punishment for this crime is so grave.

We now have, in effect, a crime that comes with a swift and draconian penalty, but no proper definition.

Mass hysteria and making demons of men will get us nowhere we should want to go.

Grandfathering or statutes of limitations can’t possibly be irrelevant to this, and only this, category of wrongdoing. This is not how we view any other crime.

Nor demanding things like Due Process, the ability to face one’s accuser, Evidence, and Proof.

In any case, none of us gets to watch Louis CK again—or Kevin Spacey, for that matter. They’re literally going to airbrush Spacey out of All The Money, like water commissar Nikolai Yezhov in that photo of the Moscow Canal. Comrade Spacey has been vaporized. He’s an unperson. Long live Comrade Ogilvy. Isn’t anyone a bit spooked by this?

erm… yeah.

It’s always the same statement: “I have come to realize that it does not matter that, at the time, I may have perceived my words as playful. It does not matter that, at the time, I may have felt that we were flirting. It does not matter that, at the time, I may have felt what I said was okay. The only thing that matters is how I made these three women feel,” said Representative Steve Lebsock. Now that is a remarkable thing to say. Why doesn’t it matter what he thought what was happening? Why would we accept as remotely rational the idea that the only thing that matters is how the women felt?

No One can make you feel anything. Feelings flow from perceptions to form your thoughts. You can change your thoughts and change your feelings. You can change your perceptions [educate to see more clearly] and change your feelings.

Other people are not responsible for your feeeelings.
But here I go again — bringing Facts to a Feelz-fight

Sure, most people would feel fear, for instance, if a bear suddenly leapt out at them. Everyone except that person who came prepared to fight bears.

That is the job of Mothers and Fathers: prepare your children to fight bears. That is the definition of Civilization: have Social Norms that encourage people to avoid bears, while discouraging the bears.

In recent years, especially, we have become prone to replacing complex thought with shallow slogans.

Do you want to live in the kind of paranoid society where everyone wonders—Who’s next? To whom is it safe to speak freely? What would this joke sound like in a deposition? Do you think only the men who have done something truly foul are at risk? Don’t kid yourself. Once this starts, it doesn’t stop. The Perp Walk awaits us all.

Given the events of recent weeks, we can be certain of this: From now on, men with any instinct for self-preservation will cease to speak of anything personal, anything sexual, in our presence. … They will adopt in our presence great deference to our exquisite sensitivity and frailty. Many women seem positively joyful at this prospect. The Revolution has at last been achieved! But how could this be the world we want? Isn’t this the world we escaped?

That was the prevailing Social Norm at the turn of the last century. Yanno, the one that maintained that women were too delicate to work, have the vote, or even leave the house. Next up: no trousers [or "bloomers"] for women and the burkini?

That’s Progress™ for ya.

Posted December 13, 2017 at 9:25 am |

Nice essay, Claire.
    What I see in the feminist “movement” is a bunch of women who want to have it all without having all the weight of responsibility that goes with being equal to men and doing what was formerly manly stuff. As you pointed out, a hundred or so years ago, men protected the frail things; now they’re demanding to be in charge, equal in every way, but don’t want to do the hard work of dealing with that responsibility.
    Same old same old socialist crap – let someone else do it for me, and the Big Gummint can do it best.

Thirty plus years ago, my sainted mother pegged feminism and the feminazis who populate their ranks. She ID’d them as angry, ugly women who were pissed and jealous because others had more, looked prettier and accomplished more than they could, and they craved attention and wanted all the goodies handed to them NOW as a birthright rather than having to work for them over a lifetime. They would rather rend the social fabric than work at weaving to add to it.

2. bogsidebunny
    Posted December 13, 2017 at 9:42 am |

Bravo Claire. You’ve nailed it. But will it change or alter the progressive march towards the destruction of the American traditional culture regarding male/female relationships in the name of creating a “feel-good” plastic paradise?

3. drew458
    Posted December 13, 2017 at 12:36 pm |

“Do you want to live in the kind of paranoid society where everyone wonders—Who’s next? To whom is it safe to speak freely? ”

We’re already there. Answer: No one.

Try talking to a child that isn’t yours, anywhere, if you’re a man. Even if mommy is right there. Even if you see the kid every single day. Hella nol it’s instant Pedo Alert time. Stranger Danger! Now even the Girl Scouts is trying to make it a Bad Thing to hug your juvenile relatives at the holidays.

Try talking about politics or news stories or religion with folks you lightly interact with socially or on the job. Have an opinion and people will run away with their eyes closed. Verboten!! Do anything like that at the corporate office, and HR will pay you an unhappy visit. Do it on campus and you’ll get beaten/expelled/ostracized if anything you say doesn’t line up 100% with Today’s Leftist Opinion.

4. DougM and his raccoon platoon
    Posted December 13, 2017 at 1:12 pm |

Yep, applying a new rule du jour to previous behavior is not legit.
    Until recently, the neo-moralists mocked what we geezers were taught as proper standards of behavior. Now, they’ve change those rules for political expediency, and confusion is the inevitable result.

We’ve always been at war with Eastasia, and now the new unpersoning begins.

Also: she was just askin’ for it is back.

5. OldFert
    Posted December 13, 2017 at 5:54 pm |

How many were just groupies (band, sports, politics — heck, even politics has its groupies).
    Groupies who now can find a way to muddy the waters or get back at someone who just wasn’t that into them.

6. Claire: rebellious pink pig with car keys - and a *cause*
    Posted December 13, 2017 at 6:51 pm |

so what IF “the modern, postindustrial economy is simply more congenial to women than to men?”

and then Teh Wymenz run things?

and PootyPoot grabs POTUS ass?
    Pooty wins?

swell.

7. Claire: rebellious pink pig with car keys - and a *cause*
    Posted December 13, 2017 at 10:20 pm |

Here’s a *cough* remarkable specimen from Harvard:

Here’s an example to illustrate what I mean. During Orientation Week in August of 2016, I was out late drinking in Harvard Square with two classmates. The topic switched to the women in our class. Over the drunken hum of the bar’s collective conversation, one guy proposed the “hottest” girls in our class. The other did the same. They both then asked me to rank the girls in our cohort in the order I wanted to get with. My alarmed heart bolted blood to my cheeks. I crossed my arms, unable to speak. “Are we making you uncomfortable?” one asked me. I cannot remember my exact response. But it was not: “Yes. Objectifying women, even though it seems harmless to you, demeans them and creates an environment that makes sexual assault more likely.”*

Yep. Self-Crit worthy of one of Mao’s best.
    “Take him out of my sight and shoot him; by his own admission he is unworthy.”

8. DougM and his raccoon platoon
    Posted December 14, 2017 at 10:51 am |

6^
    Pooty bootie?

The more I think about it, the more it looks like the (D)s were preparing the battlefield for the big assault on Moore and Trump; but because of the alt-feminists’ carelessness, the weaponized-Progs’ IFF (identify friend/foe system) didn’t discriminate adequately; and the whole thing backfired on ‘em in a massive blue-on-blue slaughterfest.

I predict this neo-morality will evolve into a double standard of mind-boggling proportions. Don’t see any way around it.

9. Blake
    Posted December 14, 2017 at 6:33 pm |

We need that gif of the gal short arming the grenade and the DS grabbing her and pulling her down behind sandbags.

Seriously, this whole “war on women” thing seems like someone tossed that little ring and held onto the live hand grenade.

10. DougM and his raccoon platoon
    Posted December 14, 2017 at 6:56 pm |

Blake^
    Heeere ya go!

Here’s another one:

Aaand another:

11. Blake
    Posted December 14, 2017 at 9:59 pm |

^I’m a bad person because I laughed at everyone of those, right?

Anyway, I wonder if the gal was able to move after being tossed in the trench like that? The guy threw her behind the bags like a rag doll.

Thanks, doug, made my day.