Gorilla Guru (tax-cut kabuki)

archives

Posted December 15, 2017 at 9:40 pm |

Funny that. With a flat tax, the amount an individual or household pays might be the same percentage, but will “the rich” pay more money than “the hard working people”.

I have to agree with Doug – because every American citizen allegedly has the same protections provided by the Feral Gummint, each citizen thereby protected should pay the same fee for it.

As it is, even with no exemptions or deductions, the graduated tax scale pulls more dollars per citizen from “the rich” than “the poor” because it’s “fair”; yannow, a progressive income tax.
    There’s that evil P-word again. “From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs”
    I’m going to quit working, blow through all my money, and have lots of needs. I expect Comrades Pelosi and Schumer to see to them.

2. MikeAZ
    Posted December 16, 2017 at 5:24 am |

I have always believed, not necessarily in paying the same amount, but paying the same percentage. We are a nation of equality; everyone, regardless of income level, should pay equally, whether they are a mega-corporation or welfare recipient. The idea that the top 10% pay the bulk of taxes while the bottom 50% pay nothing is just plain WRONG!

3. Stick
    Posted December 16, 2017 at 6:20 am |

I’m sick of hearing the left demonize RICH corporations.
    1. Corporations don’t pay tax. They collect it for the government from their customers. (PAT)
    2. Corporations employ millions of middle class people who pay tax on their earnings from the corporation.
    3. Many retired people use corporate dividends from their stock holdings to partially fund retirement.

Rant over.

4. DougM and his raccoon platoon
    Posted December 16, 2017 at 9:31 am |

Mike ^^
    Yeah, I recognize the impracticality of “same amount”.
    No way to get enough revenue that way, even for legitimate gov’t purposes.
    Besides, lower-income folks would end up owing millions of dollars in uncollectible debt.

Same-rate is about as fair as it’s ever gonna get.

I think there should be a minimum tax, no matter what, like $50.
    Skin in the game.

Non-citizens should pay a monthly residency tax.

5. TN VOLUNTEER
    Posted December 16, 2017 at 1:10 pm |

….DON’T HOLD YOUR BREATH!

6. MikeAZ
    Posted December 18, 2017 at 6:05 am |

^Doug: (a day late, sorry) All’s I’m sayin’, I am retired now but still have to pay taxes on my Social Security and pension, so why shouldn’t those who receive Unemployment and other gummint money also pay taxes on their so-called “income.”

If we truly claim to be the Land of Equality, this would help make us more equal.

7. DougM and his raccoon platoon
    Posted December 18, 2017 at 4:10 pm |

^ No idea what’s actually right and practical.
    I give my info to a tax accountant and say, “Do what’s right for me and legal;” and I’m just on SSA, military pension, and a few simple investments. Sure, I could do it; but it’s like bein’ your own lawyer.

(What? Yeah, I wish firearms-related stuff was deductible for hobbyist gunsmiths as it is for FFLs. *hmm* I wonder if the ATF’s NFA stamp tax for suppressors an’ stuff is deductible. Prob’ly should be a tax credit. Yeahhh, that’s goin’ into my campaign platform.)